Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,131 of 8,309
  You need to open the cable and then cut the wire.

Or you can drill through the USB A header until the pin for the 5V supply is gone.

FYI, I had tried asking a vendor to custom made a USB A-B cable with +5V line un-connected. He  accidently dis-connect the GND, too. The result: PC cannot detect T1. It costs me more for shipping it back for reconnection and paying an additional fee for USB-A connector. Bummer. I dare not asking him to just connect the GND only as I'm afraid it may not work.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5,132 of 8,309
  So ok I listened to headphones for first 24 hrs only . But now I just connected the unit via it's RCA outs into my receiver which run Paradigm Studio 100's series v3 and OMG. Forget headphones good lord I finally realize why these speakers cost over $3000 now . WHOLE other ballgame people. I'm near speechless. First song I played I just literally started laughing within 30 seconds of hearing the highs and the bass so pure and sweet. It's just unreal.

Have receiver on Direct so its DAC or tone and bass controls aren't altering the sound at all. It's just pure joy..

And there are better tubes out there ...haha seriously. Insanity. I just don't know what to say. Best $130 I've ever spent in my life. Only complaint is I didn't realize how many 192khz tracks I had so that's pretty much a bummer. Can't foobar downsample them and play them out so T1 can handle it? Also I have ripped blu ray concerts into 5.1 and it won't play them back either, my on board audio would just bring all channels together for stereo playback even though it was 5.1 not the T1 I guess. Those are pretty big issues as they are some of the most listened to stuff I have but oh well either way this thing performs WAY WAY beyond it's price.

I seriously was just in it to check it out and resell it on trade forum here but I don't think there is any way now I will ever do that...unless they come out with 192khz version. Magical

This little thing can transform music into pure joy.

EDIT after spending just 5 minutes searching yea got plugin to down mix 192 into 96khz. Also already has plugin built in to mix to stereo from multichannel. So sweet, although I'll rerip my blu rays into stereo flac instead of multichannel flac.

I'm using both Foobar and JRiver playing 24/192 files without any problem. Just download the latest ASIO4ALL driver.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5,133 of 8,309
Yea but I don't want the pure playback screwed with on any other format, so I just had foobar down convert 24/192 files only. If you're not using WASAPI to keep the audio pure you're doing it wrong
wink_face.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #5,134 of 8,309
I made a Windows icon for the silver Aune T1 if anyone is interested. I can't post *.ico files can so I can email it to you if you want it. Here's what it looks like in the control panel.

*Edit: I made one for the black Aune, too.*

Yeah I would love a black one, too. Can you pm me?

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #5,135 of 8,309
Yea but I don't want the pure playback screwed with on any other format, so I just had foobar down convert 24/192 files only. If you're not using WASAPI to keep the audio pure you're doing it wrong :wink_face: ,

No ASIO4ALL is like Wasapi an interface between pc and usb dac. I guess it just downstream 24/192 to 24/96 just like wasapi. Give it a try,

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,136 of 8,309
So I just got one of these. Headphones sound superb. I was looking to also running the lineout to a stereo power amp in order to power some Chane a1rx. Anyone have any recommendation for a stereo amp or stereo amp DIY kit that would pair well with the aune t1 line out?

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5,137 of 8,309
Okay, so I've now had two experiences with tube rolling that have caught me off guard or, rather, pleasantly surprised. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I happened to snag an Amperex 6DJ8 white label for only $5 with free shipping on eBay and found I liked it more than the Amperex vintage gold pin 7308 that cost over 10x more.

Now, I just received a pair of matched tubes I purchased just to keep one from the set and maybe sell the other. The tube I wanted was a Holland made orange globe with an A-frame... the other tube was labeled Amperex with orange print, but no globe logo and I didn't have the factory code until I had it in hand. I popped this "extra" tube into the T1 just to try it out and WOW, I have a new favorite for my setup. Very airy and outstanding clarity, my best soundstage yet.

According to the factory code it was made in Blackburn, Gt. Britain which I guess technically makes it a Mullard tube labeled and sold as an Amperex? The label has more red coloring than its orange globe companion. Both have A-frames with dimpled getters.

I've seen recommendations for shield logo Blackburn-Mullards in this thread, so I thought I'd chime in with this recommendation: reddish-orange label Amperex with a "B" factory code, A-frame dimpled getter, 70's vintage.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5,138 of 8,309
I think I have the same tube as yours. I will confirm once I'm back home on Sunday.

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5,139 of 8,309
Yea sorry I wasn't more clear when I replied I didn't mean you were doing it wrong. I knew there were other ways besides WASAPI they mentioned them in first 150 pages of the thread. Since I already used WASAPI before I showed up here I just stuck with it. I just meant if you weren't using one of the ways to keep it pure you're doing it wrong, I was to lazy to type it all out. Sorry.

Anyway so since you can clearly see this is an addiction tube rolling. Here is my super throwback to my 1984-87 shop class days. My carrying case I built for my tapes back in the day now being used for tubes, so it's still used for Prince stuff and still musical use, I think it's kinda cool, least till I run out of room in it for tubes haha. Grr, have a look what ya think.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #5,140 of 8,309
Guy's, while I really enjoy my Aune T1, I'm new to tube rolling, I have nearly zero knowledge about it - although I've read around Its still a little confusing. Can some of you recommend a good tube to 'upgrade' from the Stock 6922EH without busting my wallet. If the performance is there I'm happy to spend about $50.00.

It would be for a pair of Shure SHR940.

Not even sure if I am asking the right question - considering the different signatures tubes are meant to put out.

Any recommendations for testing the water levels? 

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,142 of 8,309
  For starters you can't go wrong with a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 with gold pins for $35.00 from the tubemazestore on Ebay. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

I found the seller but cannot find the tube in question in his items. I did however find another seller, I believe this is the tube you're meaning?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291090929387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If so I will go ahead this week.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #5,144 of 8,309
  Yea sorry I wasn't more clear when I replied I didn't mean you were doing it wrong. I knew there were other ways besides WASAPI they mentioned them in first 150 pages of the thread. Since I already used WASAPI before I showed up here I just stuck with it. I just meant if you weren't using one of the ways to keep it pure you're doing it wrong, I was to lazy to type it all out. Sorry.

Anyway so since you can clearly see this is an addiction tube rolling. Here is my super throwback to my 1984-87 shop class days. My carrying case I built for my tapes back in the day now being used for tubes, so it's still used for Prince stuff and still musical use, I think it's kinda cool, least till I run out of room in it for tubes haha. Grr, have a look what ya think.

Nicely done htv00, the case looks great.

As for bitperfect playback, I also prefer WASAPI over ASIO. I think both should work, but I've read on some forums that WASAPI works better and I've never had an issue with using it with the Aune. The Foobar ASIO component also comes with a disclaimer that says ASIO sucks...

"Please note that this component is meant for systems where ASIO is the only available output method. It is highly recommended to use the default output modes instead of ASIO. Contrary to popular "audiophile" claims, there are NO benefits from using ASIO as far as music playback quality is concerned, while bugs in ASIO drivers may severely degrade the performance."

No idea if this is true, and also I have no idea if DSD would work via WASAPI for the Aune X1. I asked how the DSD was implemented on another site and have yet to receive a reply. (But I also don't have any DSD sourced files on my computer, so FLAC is fine for now.)

I was considering buying the X1, but I wanted to learn more about DSD before delving into it. I also read double blind testing where DSD was downgraded to 16/44.1 and nobody could tell the difference, although there are differing opinions about double blind testing. Not to mention the methodology/equipment/bla bla bla. The only reason I would consider grabbing some DSD material would be better mastering. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #5,145 of 8,309
  Guy's, while I really enjoy my Aune T1, I'm new to tube rolling, I have nearly zero knowledge about it - although I've read around Its still a little confusing. Can some of you recommend a good tube to 'upgrade' from the Stock 6922EH without busting my wallet. If the performance is there I'm happy to spend about $50.00.

It would be for a pair of Shure SHR940.

Not even sure if I am asking the right question - considering the different signatures tubes are meant to put out.

Any recommendations for testing the water levels? 

I bought a Amperex Bugle Boy and a pair of 1969 Amperex Orange Globes, both made in Holland. I don't know what year the Bugle Boy is from. Compared to the stock tube the Bugle Boy offers a narrower sound stage with a little less treble and bass so the sound is flatter and more neutral. It's a little louder than the 6922EH and mids are more pronounced. It may be good for toning down V-shaped headphones but it doesn't offer anything too different to my ears. On my M-100, which are closed-back with an already narrow sound stage, it made the music sound a little more congested.

The Orange Globes, upon first listen, gave me goosebumps. The sound stage was enormous. The sense of air around instruments and the separation allowed the vocals to occupy their own space within the soundscape which gave the music an incredible 3-D effect. The bass was toned down a little, which benefited my bass-heavy M-100, although it left me wanting on some songs. The Orange Globe sounded great with rock, instrumentals, classical, jazz and anything that was vocal driven. Let me reiterate; vocals are incredible with the Orange Globes. Adele, Imogen Heap, Norah Jones, and Lana Del Ray sounded sublime. Land Del Ray especially since I feel most of her tracks layer on the bass too thick which makes them fatiguing to listen to on bass-heavy headphones. Pop, EDM, Hip-hop and the like sounded better with the Bugle Boy and stock tube due to their stronger bass. Tracks by Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, 2NE1, and Eminem (just to give a few examples) sounded distant and lost that visceral impact of the beat.

The Orange Globes are usually sold in pairs for around $40.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H2.Xamperex+6dj8+orange+glob&_nkw=amperex+6dj8+orange+globe&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back