Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,086 of 8,309
Enjoying all the new posts from the last week or so, glad to hear everyone is enjoying their new tubes. 

Just a recommendation that I've been using my Aune T1 as a DAC to a new Yamaha AS500 amp to Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers and it sounds very nice. I've been listening with headphones previously and wanted to get speakers that could represent everything the same way I'd been enjoying it on my ears. The Yamaha really is an amazing amp... very detailed, clear, natural sounding. Speakers only have a couple of hours on them so far and they're also great but bright for my liking, and the soundstage is still tight. Waiting for them to open up over the next few weeks. 

Will get some more time this week to roll some tubes and do a condensed one post write-up as well. Also love that recommendation to split some pairs up... I'll take a look at what I have and maybe offer some up as well.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #5,088 of 8,309
  Hi guys =)

Aune T1 vs. Maverick Audio D1+ vs. Audinst HUD-MX2

What you think? Which of these DAC would be the best on the audio quality?

What kind of setup were you going to be using the DACs with? Any particular headphones or speakers? What kind of music genres are you into?

I haven't heard the Maverick Audio D1, or the Audinst HUD-MX2, but taking a very quick look at some sites and specs, here a few things to consider:

DAC chips:
Aune T1 - Burr Brown 1793 
Maverick Audio D1 - headfi thread suspects CS 4334...
Audinst HUD-MX2 - Burr Brown 1796 

Tube rolling:
Aune and Maverick use tubes and can be rolled for different audio flavours.

Bitperfect streaming:
Aune does 24/96 max.
Maverick Doesn't do bitperfect USB playback, unless you go with the D1 Plus, which is a bit more $... look here
Audinst does 24/96 USB and 24/192 S/PDIF.

Pricing:
Aune T1 $182 (ebay)
Maverick D1 $179, D1 Plus $209 - $254 depending on tube/opamp + shipping ($30 or so)
Audinst $248 (ebay)

Having that quick look, I couldn't recommend one over the other without giving them a listen. Good luck.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5,090 of 8,309
Hi, I bought the T1 after reading the thread but my confuse about the tubes. I know the tubes are for the DAC so if I just connect the T1 to my laptop will the tubes be used or will it be bypassed? This got me confuse. Hope you guys can help me out on this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5,091 of 8,309
You connect it to your laptop using usb, and it uses the DAC yes. As long as you don't use the rca inputs to get sound into the T1 it's using the DAC, even if you use the RCA outs to a receiver or other amp it's still using DAC.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #5,092 of 8,309
You connect it to your laptop using usb, and it uses the DAC yes. As long as you don't use the rca inputs to get sound into the T1 it's using the DAC, even if you use the RCA outs to a receiver or other amp it's still using DAC.

So it does use the tubes then. Thanks for the info. Clears my mind. Now waiting for it to arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #5,093 of 8,309
Yep as long as you use the usb input it will use the DAC/Tube yes. I found the stock tube to be really no different than anything else I've been hearing for years. Although when I swapped out the tube then instantly I heard what the big deal is, I don't even care about my headphones anymore. I have it hooked up to pc usb then RCA outs into my receiver and it just sounds magical on my home theater speakers.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #5,094 of 8,309
  Yep as long as you use the usb input it will use the DAC/Tube yes. I found the stock tube to be really no different than anything else I've been hearing for years. Although when I swapped out the tube then instantly I heard what the big deal is, I don't even care about my headphones anymore. I have it hooked up to pc usb then RCA outs into my receiver and it just sounds magical on my home theater speakers.

My first step into audiophile world with he40 and T1. Really interested in hearing tube amps and trying out different tubes.
Lots of recommendation on the thread. Will get a new tube soon!!

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #5,095 of 8,309
I borrowed an Aune T1 from a member as I was interested in buying. I can safely say within 30 minutes of listening I'm jumping onboard.

Was originally for a pair of SHR940 which I don't think pair terribly well, I actually prefer my SHR440 with it instead.

I'll be making the purchase after Easter break. 

Btw: Tube 6922

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #5,096 of 8,309
If you would've had an Orange Globe in there it would've only taken 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes. I'll have to go back and put stock tube in one day but I was so unimpressed with it I actually regretted buying a T1 at first. That is until I changed the tube.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,097 of 8,309
I made a Windows icon for the silver Aune T1 if anyone is interested. I can't post *.ico files can so I can email it to you if you want it. Here's what it looks like in the control panel.

*Edit: I made one for the black Aune, too.*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back