Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,056 of 8,309
Info post updated with new DIY section (ElBartoME's led color mod). mikoss could you combine your tube reviews into one post so i can link them to the info post. I would also appreciated if somebody could do easy to follow step by step guide for changing caps (ElBartoME has good start in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/4830#post_10355229 maybe just edit it to more instructional style).

Keep enjoying your T1 people, peace!

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #5,057 of 8,309
Ok so I've read up to page 155 or so of the thread and I just now got my unit. First I'll say for Senn HD 650's 0 gain isn't enough, only by slightly but having to have it 100 vol on the knob I boosted it up to 10db. Loudness is fine there really.

So my first thoughts, I'd been using Purity Sound that supports 600 ohm from Asus onboard amp from motherboard. Anyway With stock tube, I felt well not really that much difference really is what I'd been listening to for the last few weeks. Having warmed up only an hour or so. Yes I'm using usb foobar wasi etc etc . So really I felt I really honestly hadn't gained much if anything.

BUT then I changed to one of the Single leg dimpled disc GAC coded Heerlen made orange globe I got from ebay. Almost instantly even with very short warm up time the highs came alive in a way I've never heard before ever from any device. I'm not sitting here with my mouth wide open in shock but man yea it's very pleasing indeed.

I have another Single leg dimpled disc GAC coded Heerlen made orange globe to test and a bugle boy too so looking forward.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac's Never going back again 24 bit 96 and man that guitar is just singing, literally.

I'll add I can also see how some people can't hear it. To some people music is just noise I think, like having a tv on in the background when doing stuff. For the price I paid it's a steal of improvement really. Now to resist turning into Coil and Salvatore and becoming a tube hording mad man.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5,060 of 8,309
It seems like most of the good tubes are sold in matched pairs, thereby doubling the cost for us single tube Aune T1 owners. Has anybody set up a system where two head-fi'ers share the cost and split a pair?

Just curious if anybody has done it and how the experience was.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5,061 of 8,309
They talked about that earlier in this thread. I've read every post up to page 157 or so. Not sure if they went ahead and ordered together but to me wouldn't be that different than for sale forum anyone with good feedback you could probably trust.

Here are more thoughts so far.
Well the stock tube to me sounded very similar to what I had been using Purity Audio from my motherboard. Maybe very slightly better perhaps but to close to say. However the second I put in my Single leg dimpled disc GAC coded Heerlen made OG`s Orange Globe Amperex , LOOK OUT. Wow nice nice highs and great balance overall. Loving it now. Was a steal at $130, saved enough to buy that Orange globe, two of them actually. And they're only the dimple version but loving it.
I also don't think the bugle boy is as good as Single leg dimpled disc GAC coded Heerlen made OG`s Orange Globe either, seems very very close to stock tube to me.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #5,062 of 8,309
  I use mine with speakers (see sig for setup) and it sounds great. I am pretty unknowledgeable about speakers, though, so I can't say if the T1 is better than X, Y, or Z. I can tell you that tube-swapping definitely makes a difference to how the speakers sound and that the best tube for headphones is not necessarily the best tube for speakers.

This I concur. Still listening endlessly whenever I have time to find the my preferred tube for T1.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #5,064 of 8,309
I also want to laugh at whoever somewhere around page 130-150 who said he didn't hear anything great , refused to swap tubes or bother to try, just how much I'm laughing at that fella now. Yea I felt bout same with stock tube, it's pretty nice. But New tubes , yea buddy lol. Anyway lots of hours on my 3 tubes no stock ones anyway. 10 hours today I bet. Good times.

I'll also say I think my end game is this with a bottlehead crack with speedball. Just saying. This thing really brings to life the HD 650's LOVE it.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,065 of 8,309
  Ok so I've read up to page 155 or so of the thread and I just now got my unit. First I'll say for Senn HD 650's 0 gain isn't enough, only by slightly but having to have it 100 vol on the knob I boosted it up to 10db. Loudness is fine there really.

So my first thoughts, I'd been using Purity Sound that supports 600 ohm from Asus onboard amp from motherboard. Anyway With stock tube, I felt well not really that much difference really is what I'd been listening to for the last few weeks. Having warmed up only an hour or so. Yes I'm using usb foobar wasi etc etc . So really I felt I really honestly hadn't gained much if anything.

BUT then I changed to one of the orange globe I got from ebay. Almost instantly even with very short warm up time the highs came alive in a way I've never heard before ever from any device. I'm not sitting here with my mouth wide open in shock but man yea it's very pleasing indeed.

I have another orange globe to test and a bugle boy too so looking forward.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac's Never going back again 24 bit 96 and man that guitar is just singing, literally.

I'll add I can also see how some people can't hear it. To some people music is just noise I think, like having a tv on in the background when doing stuff. For the price I paid it's a steal of improvement really. Now to resist turning into Coil and Salvatore and becoming a tube hording mad man.

That's interesting because I'm also currently using the Purity Sound chip on my ASRock motherboard, which is made by Asus, and I was considering the T1 for a headphone amp. If I do go for it, I'll definitely pick up a few tubes to mess about with if it makes that much a difference. I thought maybe it was just fine-tuning your specific preference in sound, but it appears it makes a rather large difference overall.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5,066 of 8,309
Sorry for sounding like a noob but i just bought the aune T1 and i had a question about using it. I've been searching around, but I couldn't find any answer to my question.

Is there a certain order of plugging in my source through usb, my headphones, and warming up the tubes that i should follow? For example, should I plug in my source and headphones, and then warm up the tube, or vice versa? Does it matter? 

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #5,070 of 8,309
So ok I listened to headphones for first 24 hrs only . But now I just connected the unit via it's RCA outs into my receiver which run Paradigm Studio 100's series v3 and OMG. Forget headphones good lord I finally realize why these speakers cost over $3000 now . WHOLE other ballgame people. I'm near speechless. First song I played I just literally started laughing within 30 seconds of hearing the highs and the bass so pure and sweet. It's just unreal.

Have receiver on Direct so its DAC or tone and bass controls aren't altering the sound at all. It's just pure joy..

And there are better tubes out there ...haha seriously. Insanity. I just don't know what to say. Best $130 I've ever spent in my life. Only complaint is I didn't realize how many 192khz tracks I had so that's pretty much a bummer. Can't foobar downsample them and play them out so T1 can handle it? Also I have ripped blu ray concerts into 5.1 and it won't play them back either, my on board audio would just bring all channels together for stereo playback even though it was 5.1 not the T1 I guess. Those are pretty big issues as they are some of the most listened to stuff I have but oh well either way this thing performs WAY WAY beyond it's price.

I seriously was just in it to check it out and resell it on trade forum here but I don't think there is any way now I will ever do that...unless they come out with 192khz version. Magical

This little thing can transform music into pure joy.

EDIT after spending just 5 minutes searching yea got plugin to down mix 192 into 96khz. Also already has plugin built in to mix to stereo from multichannel. So sweet, although I'll rerip my blu rays into stereo flac instead of multichannel flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back