Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,901 of 8,309
You got my idea about transparency wrong. Did not mean balance between cymbal & snare or other instruments. 
  I would also add transparency to list (how easy is it to concentrate only on 1 instrument & how well it sounds out (I meant through everything else)

Every sound part is actually subjective and depends on many things.

Explain what you mean about "presence" because this word hasn`t been used much to describe sound nuances.

With soundstage points you mean higher = larger? Or did you mean imaging (instrument/sound placement & separation in "room") as higher = better?

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,902 of 8,309
  You got my idea about transparency wrong. Did not mean balance between cymbal & snare or other instruments. 

Every sound part is actually subjective and depends on many things.

Explain what you mean about "presence" because this word hasn`t been used much to describe sound nuances.

A description was added. How musical the tube was overall. If you have a better word to use I am all "ears"!

I deleted the EH6922 comment because it has been a long time since I have used it, and it probably was not a fair compare.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,903 of 8,309
Ok, that clears things up. Instead presence I would use word dynamics or just musicality but it`s up to you. Actually, I would not add "how musical is tube overall" at all because this is very subjective. All those other things make up that "musicality" and that`s up to others to decide how "musical" tube sounds to them and setup & synergy is anyway different. But this is only my viewpoint, do as you like, your review! :wink:

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,904 of 8,309

3. Mullard ECC85. Blacburn factory, early 60's date code. Copper grid rods, pinched waist. 

This tube has been rolling around in a box in my room for years. It has zero labeling on it besides NEC 94, so for quite a while I did not know what it was. After some help over at Audiokarma and browsing around Ebay, I was finally able to identify it. And glad I did too. Sitting here trying to think of what to type to describe any flaws, and it is really hard. Bass, midrange, and treble are perfect balanced. Nothing is flabby. Nothing is harsh. Plenty of sparkle on the top end. It does everything well. if I had to pick one thing this tube does that stands out, acoustic guitar has a certain texture on this tube that will give you an "eargasm". This would be on my list of essential tubes for the Aune T1.

On Speakers            On Headphones(DT990)

Bass                              9                                            9

Midrange                      9                                            9

Treble                           9                                            9

Sounstage                    9                                            9

Imaging                       9                                             9

Detail                           9                                             9

Presence                     9                                             9

any chance for some close-ups of this little bad boy ?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,905 of 8,309
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,906 of 8,309

Also ..is this the mallard you describe with the two circular holes each side (not the rectangular ones)....Like this

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,907 of 8,309

Soon....

Quote:
  Also ..is this the mallard you describe with the two circular holes each side (not the rectangular ones)....Like this

Thats the one....but that one doesnt look like it has the pinched waist like mine does. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,908 of 8,309

Thats the one....but that one doesnt look like it has the pinched waist like mine does. 

You know, I keep reading about pinched waist...but don't really know what that looks like..what part is PINCHED ? Not the glass, right ? where is it ? THNAKS

EDIt...is this a pinched waist ?

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,909 of 8,309
  Not the glass, right ?

Yes the glass. quote from audiotubes.com "This is actually a molding flaw which made the glass bottom slightly fatter around the outside than the rest of the tube, and the center of the tube actually dips inward and touches the metal elements inside. Clients report these are incredible sounding tubes, and the upward spiral of prices for the rare pinch waist types seem to bear this out."

The glass should be slightly hourglass shaped like in these pictures: http://jda1951.xanga.com/2012/11/27/amperex-usa-pinched-waist-6922-pq/

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3,910 of 8,309
What he said about pinched waist. You will also usually see little nubs where the micas pressed into the glass. 

Still adding to this review, and have revised a few things. The more critical listening I do, the more thought I have on the other tubes and the more I keep switching back and forth.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,911 of 8,309

The more critical listening I do, the more thought I have on the other tubes and the more I keep switching back and forth.

NOW the "game" is on! :wink: That`s what I was talking about - 1st impressions aren`t always accurate. I`ve had cases where inital impressions were bad/good but later it was opposite/different depending on burn-in/music/headphones/speakers etc.

Please add Amperex 7308 too to review!

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,914 of 8,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back