Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3,886 of 8,309
On eBay some tube descriptions show for example:
Vintage GE Mullard 6AQ8 ECC85:
Tested on a Hickok6000A: Min = 3000/3000
4950/4625

What does that fraction mean?

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #3,887 of 8,309
On eBay some tube descriptions show for example:
Vintage GE Mullard 6AQ8 ECC85:
Tested on a Hickok6000A: Min = 3000/3000
4950/4625

What does that fraction mean?

These tubes are basically 2 tubes in one, and are called dual triode. They have 2 sides, and those test are side1/side2. You want those numbers as close as possible.

And I have confirmed a 12AX7 is a nogo with a mu of 100. Too much gain and distorts.

5751 works, but not at full volume. You have to turn the sound down on the computer and crank the volume on the Aune. But it sounds lovely that way.

Seems my Bugle Boy 12AT7 has a dead heater on one side......dammit.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,888 of 8,309
These tubes are basically 2 tubes in one, and are called dual triode. They have 2 sides, and those test are side1/side2. You want those numbers as close as possible.

Oh i see thanks, so do these not sound as good as a single triode counterpart? Is it worth getting these dual triodes?

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #3,890 of 8,309
Well.....here is the summary of the 12xx7 compatibility.

12AU7.....works well, sounds good, no distortion. Also tried 5814 and 6189W, which is the military ones. So far my Pilot labelled Mullard sounds very sweet. So does that 6189W....

12AT7......Works, but too much gain. You can run it half volume on the computer, then turn the volume up louder on the Aune. Also tried a 6201......same thing.

12AX7.....No-go all the way around. Too much gain. 

5751.......No-go. Too much gain.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #3,891 of 8,309
What do you guys think of this configuration:

Aune T1 RCA out -> Lepai 2020a+ RCA in -> Audio out ports -> bookshelf or monitor speakers. 

Cables would be one red/white RCA audio cable and a pair of standard speaker wire.

Would this configuration sound fine?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3,892 of 8,309
  What do you guys think of this configuration:

Aune T1 RCA out -> Lepai 2020a+ RCA in -> Audio out ports -> bookshelf or monitor speakers. 

Cables would be one red/white RCA audio cable and a pair of standard speaker wire.

Would this configuration sound fine?

If you're feeding USB into the Aune, then yes! I do something similar often.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,893 of 8,309
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #3,894 of 8,309
  I also have to revisit my tube review again sometime, but don`t know when because I have too many great sounding tubes and finding differences + judging by genre takes time that I just don`t have ;(

Just don't take it too seriously. We all do it for fun. Oh and remember to keep that supported tube type list updated as you discover new working types.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #3,896 of 8,309

Oh and remember to keep that supported tube type list updated as you discover new working types.

Already updating it! :wink: 

Tube types that will work with Aune T1:

6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, 7308, 6N23P, 6N27P, 6N11, 6N1P, 7DJ8, PCC88, ECC1896ES8
E188CC, ECC86, 6GM8, PCC189, 7ES8, Cca, CV2492, CV2493, CV10320, CV5231, CV5354, 
CV5358, M3624, CV4108, CV5331, CV5464, CV5472, CV8065, CV9838, CV10320, CV10403
6FW8, ECC85 6AQ8, PCC85 & 9AQ8->some may sound distorted due to underpowered 9V heater,
6BQ7A, 6BZ7, 6BS86BK7B->some may not work probably due to "too high" mA current draw,
6SN7569212AU758146189W12AT7*, 6201*.

CV tube types cross-reference: http://www.audiotubes.com/cv2000.htm
Chinese tubes cross-reference: http://www.audiotubes.com/chinese.htm

Tubes marked in green are tube types that I personally have tried with Aune T1 and seem to work with no problems.
Tubes marked in blue are tube types that other users have tried with Aune T1 and seem to work with no problems.
Tubes marked in orange are tube types that have been tested by some users but some of them did not work.
Tubes marked in red are tube types that require custom socket adapter to work. * means that it has too high gain and
volume output level should be reduced from PC control panel.

6SN7 > 6DJ8 socket adapter:

6SN7 -> 6DJ8
Pin 1 -> Pin 2
Pin 2 -> Pin 1
Pin 3 -> Pin 3
Pin 4 -> Pin 7
Pin 5 -> Pin 6
Pin 6 -> Pin 8
Pin 7 -> Pin 4
Pin 8 -> Pin 5

Pin 9 is not used.

12XX7 > 6DJ8 socket adapter (pin-out information coming soon):

12AU7.....works well, sounds good, no distortion. Also tried 5814 and 6189W, which is the military ones. So far my Pilot labelled Mullard sounds very sweet. So does that 6189W....

12AT7......Works, but too much gain. You can run it half volume on the computer, then turn the volume up louder on the Aune. Also tried a 6201......same thing.

Quote:

12AU7.....works well, sounds good, no distortion. Also tried 5814 and 6189W, which is the military ones. So far my Pilot labelled Mullard sounds very sweet. So does that 6189W....

12AT7......Works, but too much gain. You can run it half volume on the computer, then turn the volume up louder on the Aune. Also tried a 6201......same thing.

Can you please give us pin-out list like you did in case of 6SN7 > 6DJ8, so I could add it to tube list information post. 

Edit: Hey guys, some more tube types to test if someone has them: ECC180, 6BC8, 6BZ8, 8BQ7A
Also added B719 and 6L12 since they are ECC85/6AQ8 equivalents.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #3,897 of 8,309
Pinout to use a 12xx7 tube.

Tie pins 4 and 5 together on the 12xx7, then that goes to pin 4 on 6922 side. 

Pin 9 goes to pin 5.

Done

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #3,898 of 8,309
Its tube review time!

This list will be updated for each tube I really give a good listen to.

The grading scale is as follows:

Scale is 1-10.

Bass, Treble, and Midrange: Quantity and Quality. If something was not right, or something really sounded great, details will be in the review paragraph.

Soundstage: How wide/deep it was. 

Imaging: How well within the soundstage the instruments were placed. 

Detail: How much detail I could hear in recordings I am very familiar with.

Presence: How well the tube presented the music overall. I have tubes that rate very high in all numbers but presence. Best way I can explain this is how musical the tube was. 

​
 ​
CCa

1. Valvo CCa. Heerlen factory. 1962. Gold pin, pinched waist.
    Its like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my ear. After I get one fully broken in there will be a more detailed review.

​
 ​
 ​
7308/E188CC

1Amperex Golden Globe 7308. Gold pins, NY Factory.

The sound of this tube can be summed up with one word. Lively. If tubes could be compared to live concerts, this would be the Woodstock of tubes. All the mud, drugs, and boobies included. Sure is a hell of a time, but could you live like this everyday? NOPE. Bass seems to be slightly lacking. What is there is of very good quality, but you do not get the head tip going on following the bass pedal with songs like The Wall. The midrange on the other hand, is there. And by there I mean you feel like you are right next to the guitar player ripping off a solo.  3D, holographic, and very forward would describe the midrange. The treble takes 2nd chair to that midrange though, and does not have quite the sparkle some would like. But what is there is of good quality. This tube creates such a soundstage and presence with the midrange that it is plain fun. This would be on my list of essential tubes for the Aune T1.

On Speakers            On Headphones(DT990)

Bass                              6                                            6

Midrange                     10                                          10

Treble                           8                                            8

Sounstage                   10                                           10+

Imaging                       10                                           10

Detail                            8                                            8

Presence                      9                                            9

ECC85/6AQ8

1. Siemens ECC85. Munchen factory, 1959 date code. 

This tube has a nice and balanced sound. I can't find any flaws in the sound, but it also does not stick out in any way. Best way I can explain it.

Bass                              6                                            6

Midrange                      6                                            6

Treble                           6                                            6

Sounstage                    6                                            6

Imaging                        6                                            6

Detail                            6                                            6

Presence                      5                                            5

2. Telefunken ECC85. Berlin factory, late 1950's date code. 

I have never met a Telefunken I did not like, and this one follows that path. Telefunkens always have a nice rounded warm sound to me. I would call this tube sweet sounding. Not quite 100% neutral, but seems to add life to any style of music.....and the detail...the DETAIL...... Soundstage comes out and hugs you on speakers. On headphones you are front row. Bass is nice and tight, but not recessed in any way. Midrange is ever so slightly recessed, but you are not going to miss any vocals or guitar riffs. Treble is smooth and sparkly. This would be on my list of essential tubes for the Aune T1.

Bass                              9                                            9

Midrange                      7                                            7

Treble                           9                                            9

Sounstage                    9                                           10

Imaging                       9                                             9

Detail                           10                                          10

Presence                      9                                            9

3. Mullard ECC85. Blacburn factory, early 60's date code. Copper grid rods, pinched waist. 

This tube has been rolling around in a box in my room for years. It has zero labeling on it besides NEC 94, so for quite a while I did not know what it was. After some help over at Audiokarma and browsing around Ebay, I was finally able to identify it. And glad I did too. Sitting here trying to think of what to type to describe any flaws, and it is really hard. Bass, midrange, and treble are perfect balanced. Nothing is flabby. Nothing is harsh. Plenty of sparkle on the top end. It does everything well. if I had to pick one thing this tube does that stands out, acoustic guitar has a certain texture on this tube that will give you an "eargasm". There seems to be some kinda of dynamic range "punch" added by this tube. The same punch you can get out of a good tube guitar amp. Every chord struck had a percussive feel to it.  This would be on my list of essential tubes for the Aune T1.

Bass                              9                                            9

Midrange                     10                                          10

Treble                          10                                          10

Sounstage                    9                                            9

Imaging                       9                                             9

Detail                           9                                             9

Presence                    10                                            10

4.Valvo ECC85. Hamburg factory, 1950. Nickel grid rods, pinched waist. Has Grundig tube number on top(218)

I pulled this one out of a tuning circuit in an old Grundig console I have. It was swapped in right after the Mullard from above. I noticed right off how smooth the treble was. It has a silkyness to it that will fit certain types of music well. But this comes at a loss of that "sparkle" some people like. The midrange is holographic, absolutley stunning. It was very interesting with my headphones. Felt like the drivers were 10 feet away from my ears. On my speakers, the soundstage depth was miles deep, and extended well past where the speakers were placed. The bass is lean and mean.....I would not call it recessed at all. 

Bass                              8                                            8

Midrange                     10                                          10

Treble                           8                                            8

Sounstage                   10                                           10

Imaging                       10                                           10

Detail                            8                                             8

Presence                      8                                             8

12AU7/6189W

You MUST change the heater circuit to run this tube!!!

1. Pilot labelled 12AU7. Siemens, Berlin plant. 
    This tube took the Aune to a whole 'nother level. Everything became very smooth, yet still detailed. From 20hz to wherever you claim you can hear, it is perfectly balanced. No one thing sticks out. Soundstage is right about what it should be without being artificially wide. Imaging is accurate. Detail is very well balanced between any note that passes through it. The only thing I find this tube does over any other I have tried is decay. With this tube I noticed a certain decay of notes I have not previously with any other tube. As in a piano playing......the notes trail off perfectly. I honestly cannot find a single fault with this tube, as it is the most well balanced and "perfect" I have tried so far. I am very hesitant to rate it a perfect 10 as there is usually room for improvement, but in this case, maybe there isn't. If you have the ability to build the adapter to run this tube, I would have to say this is the only tube you need. Ever. 

Bass                             10                                          10

Midrange                     10                                          10

Treble                           10                                          10

Sounstage                   10                                          10

Imaging                       10                                          10

Detail                           10                                           10

Presence                     10                                           10

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,899 of 8,309
Stock 6922 is actually with littlebit recessed mids and extended highs/lows with quite loose bass and I wouldn`t say it`s balanced (in my setup and also according to many others). So, first one not interested in. Making me wonder about your taste/hearing/setup/genre difference. But keep it coming! :wink:

And what do you mean about presence?
I would also add transparency to list (how easy is it to concentrate only on 1 instrument & how well it sounds out from "behind" others).
On what scale you will be giving points? 1 to 10?
With soundstage points you mean higher = larger? Or did you mean imaging (instrument/sound placement & separation in "room") as higher = better?

Edit: why did you delete your opinion about stock 6922EH being almost "same" & balanced sounding as Siemens ECC85 ? It`s a good point to grasp your setup differences and "taste" about tubes! Now it`s harder for me to make sense of your impressions.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,900 of 8,309
  Stock 6922 is actually with littlebit recessed mids and extended highs/lows with quite loose bass and I wouldn`t say it`s balanced (in my setup and also according to many others). So, first one not interested in. Making me wonder about your taste/hearing/setup/genre difference. But keep it coming! :wink:
And what do you mean about presence?
I would also add transparency to list (how easy is it to concentrate only on 1 instrument & how well it sounds out from "behind" others).
On what scale you will be giving points? 1 to 10?
With soundstage points you mean higher = larger? Or did you mean imaging (instrument/sound placement & separation in "room") as higher = better?

Fixed most of this and added a scale description. 

I am not adding transparency to it because that is VERY subjective to the recording and your ears. What I think might be the perfect balance between a cymbal and a snare you might think different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back