Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,166 of 8,309
The only point of the T1 is the tube buffer on the USB Dac stage. If you aren't using it, you should probably look somewhere else. 

It's the tube's delicate flavouring that makes this unit what it is, not the amp side of it. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #3,167 of 8,309
I own T1 for few weeks, maybe about 3-4 weeks. Come with EH 6922 tube. This DAC amp doesn't make me happy at first. Sharp, bright instrument sound especially cymbal. It is too bright for a bright headphone lover like me.
basshead.gif
Distortion guitar riff in metal or rock songs become messy, and not clear. I almost get my self a new amp to overcome overbright issue. So I decided to explore this thing. My biggest mistake is in the connection and gain setting. Seems like the default db for mine is 10db. And, since my laptop only have 3 USB ports, I decide to use USB port adapter for my Aune T1. So I do comparison for connecting T1 directly to USB port vs USB port adapter. But after the exploration, I think it's time for me to get a new tube and USB cable for starting.
gs1000.gif

Foobar> Kernel Streaming> Aune T1> Senn HD 600

Setup 1
Laptop> USB port> USB adapter> Aune T1> Senn HD 600

Setup 2
Laptop> USB port> Aune T1> Senn HD 600

Result: I prefer setup 2 now. To my ears, the sharp instrument sound as cymbal are acceptable. No sound breaking anymore while listening. This is just cheap USB adapter that powered by USB port, sharing keyboard, mouse and Aune T1. I wonder the same result for adapter powered USB port.

For 10db vs 16db comparison, my result is 16db suit my HD 600 more.

Toni Braxton - I Don't Want To (mp3 320kbps)
16db revealed the piano in background. In 10db the piano is there but somehow hidden. I don't even know that if it's piano or some percussion. At first I thought I need to increase the volume know in 10db to get the same sound as 16db but I was wrong. Increasing the volume in 10db just make the music loud, not what I expect.

Daft Punk - Get Lucky (flac)
10db, the "hand clapping" sound distant as in a big hall. Not suitable for this genre IMO. So, 16db "hand clapping" sound close, the music feel energetic like it should be. The bass and drum sound fun. And again, increasing volume in 10db vs 16db doesn't make they sound the same. The guitar and bass sound muddy in 10db. The bass is there but it's sound like Logitech speaker bass. It's boom-boom but not doom-doom. Change to 16db, this is the bass that I want. Everything become clear, the vocal, the cymbal, and  guitar. While the bass, tight, and doom-doom.

Avenged Sevenfold - Welcome To The Family (flac)
10db make the distortion guitar along with the drum hidden behind the vocalist. I was in a band before and played few instruments, join some gigs etc. 10db sound like wrong setup in a gig where I can hear the vocal loud, while the drum are louder than the guitar and the bass. And the bass are muddy IMO, not energetic while the drum sound like need to be adjust. 16db, the music become energetic. I will say this is the correct instrument setup where everything sound balance. I get goosebumps when they doing the guitar solo in 10db. Sound synchronize. In 10db, what I heard is the lead guitar volume is louder than the second guitar. Sound like wrong setup for the guitar speaker. Increasing volume in 10db vs 16db doesn't make they sound the same.

Alison Krauss - It Wouldn't Have Made a Difference (flac)
10db sound like in a large, airy hall. The guitar plucking sound distant behind Alison voice. The percussion and piano sound weak. in 16db, her vocal become more reveal along with the piano, guitar and other percussion. They sound closer to ear. It's like night and day different for 10db vs 16db. 10db is in a hall, while 16db is you stand close in front of the performance.

Jòsef Mukki; Budapest Camerata/Laszlo Kovacs - Handel, Serse, HWV 40 - Ombra Mai Fu (Largo) (flac)
My favorite track from Classical Favourites Opera album. 10db, the vocal sound like he's behind the violin. And the guitar string sound wrong. I don't know how to explain but it's just not like it should be. Everything sound wrong. But it's the vocal and violin are noticeable. The voice should give you goosebumps, energetic and and clear. And I thought with other tracks that sound in a hall with 10db, I'm surprise because it's even for classical opera 10db make the music not enjoyable. So 16db, the voice... Gosh, give me goosebumps. I can hear the the voice vibration, almost like watching recording session. The guitar sound more acoustic instead of metal string. And the violin, it's sound like they're next to the singer on stage. In other word, even with eyes closed  I think someone who never try T1 can hear the different.

Alan Jackson - Amazing Grace (flac)
There's not so much different for the piano intro for both db. But when Alan start singing, I get goosebumps on 16db. The vocal sound full, not dull like in 10db. And background music in 10db sound "blanketed", only Alan's vocal highlighted. And during the solo, 10db just make things worst. To my ear, I the piano and other background sound like a dirty cassette tape. But when I turn to 16db, the piano and other background instrument become clear. Oh Alan, you're a heaven sent singer...

My summary:
-Aune T1 is really as good as being hype.
-T1 definitely will change your listening experience. Some background instrument will become very clear, noticeable.
-Bright sound, and I love it. Just like Beyer headphones.
-Need proper connection. Please connect directly to your source USB port.
-I believe by messing with the db switch for long time, this can affect the sound balance in case the switch faulty.
-Speaker and headphone friendly. A good DAC amp for my headphone, and a DAC for my speaker.

English is 4th language, forgive for the grammar mistake and inappropriate of word usage. I think you guys notice I didn't use audiophile term. Well, that's because I'm newbie in this. I just love music and headphone. I hope this will help other people out there. This post suppose to be short but somehow I didn't realize that I type this long while listening to my music collection.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #3,168 of 8,309
  The only point of the T1 is the tube buffer on the USB Dac stage. If you aren't using it, you should probably look somewhere else. 

It's the tube's delicate flavouring that makes this unit what it is, not the amp side of it. 

+1. If I ever need to upgrade I'll just buy new amp and use T1 as a DAC. This is very good low cost mid level amp/dac and won't be obsolete even if you need stronger amp in some point of your life.

I own T1 for few weeks, maybe about 3-4 weeks...

Thanks for your impressions. Do you mind if I link this post to the info page?

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,169 of 8,309
Get Amperex OG instead 6922EH :wink: Since you are "bright-lover" then I will even recommend not GAC but A-frame GA8, GAG or GAE - they have tinybit brighter highs. Philips PCC189 (Heerlen), Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen) can be cheaper options if you can find and get lucky.

Btw, I can`t make sense about my Amperex OG 6GM8. I think It`s very music dependent, sometimes bass feels littlebit "weak" but sometimes not at all. Anyway still one of my best tubes due to most holographic sound and with external amp+speakers it`s sublime ;P But overall, I still prefer Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88 GAC, Ultron SQ PCC189/7ES8, Miniwatt-Dario ECC189/6ES8 over it.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #3,170 of 8,309

+1. If I ever need to upgrade I'll just buy new amp and use T1 as a DAC. This is very good low cost mid level amp/dac and won't be obsolete even if you need stronger amp in some point of your life.

Thanks for your impressions. Do you mind if I link this post to the info page?

Hi... I'll be glad with that. Never thought that you want to link my impressions. Kindly inform me to edit or just edit if something not right there. According to the seller, Aune T1 DAC considered the best among the price category and he suggest me to keep T1 and get a proper amp in case I want to upgrade. My plan is to let go T1 and get something else but the seller advised me not too. Seems like he gave me a good advise.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,171 of 8,309
  Get Amperex OG instead 6922EH :wink: Since you are "bright-lover" then I will even recommend not GAC but A-frame GA8, GAG or GAE - they have tinybit brighter highs. Philips PCC189 (Heerlen), Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen) can be cheaper options if you can find and get lucky.

Btw, I can`t make sense about my Amperex OG 6GM8. I think It`s very music dependent, sometimes bass feels littlebit "weak" but sometimes not at all. Anyway still one of my best tubes due to most holographic sound and with external amp+speakers it`s sublime ;P But overall, I still prefer Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88 GAC, Ultron SQ PCC189/7ES8, Miniwatt-Dario ECC189/6ES8 over it.

This 6922 EH come with T1, that's how I get that tube. Well, I'm ready to get Amperex OG but I heard many fake OG. So I will be glad if any of you guys share trusted seller link. Well, I tried bright, why not try something warm right? That's the point of getting tube IMO, play with the tube sound. Hehe... Currently my best bet is Bugle Boy ECC88, offered and suggested by my T1 seller. Let's say I can't get OG, I wonder if Bugle Boy can do the job? Bugle Boy cost me about $50.00

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #3,172 of 8,309
  Never thought that you want to link my impressions.

Don't be so modest. It's a good read with lots of writing and effort behind :wink:

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #3,173 of 8,309

This 6922 EH come with T1, that's how I get that tube. Well, I'm ready to get Amperex OG but I heard many fake OG. So I will be glad if any of you guys share trusted seller link. Well, I tried bright, why not try something warm right? That's the point of getting tube IMO, play with the tube sound. Hehe... Currently my best bet is Bugle Boy ECC88, offered and suggested by my T1 seller. Let's say I can't get OG, I wonder if Bugle Boy can do the job? Bugle Boy cost me about $50.00

Can you maybe get a pic and give us that BB tube etched code? If it`s with D-getter then it`s ok price since they are quite rare but don`t know about sound.
Still, I would go for Amperex OG , they are about 20-30$ @ eBay. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #3,175 of 8,309
  Can you maybe get a pic and give us that BB tube etched code? If it`s with D-getter then it`s ok price since they are quite rare but don`t know about sound.
Still, I would go for Amperex OG , they are about 20-30$ @ eBay. 

Hi... I don't have the photo or the tube code yet. But he told me it's 1960s vintage tube.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #3,176 of 8,309
After some  reading, if the one he's selling me is the 1960's

www.parkeraudio.net/tubescompared.htm
6DJ8 Bugle Boy: Similar to the orange globe logo with more ambiance and larger soundstage.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/184032/amperex-orange-globe-6dj8s/15
8. Amperex Bugle Boys ECC88. Dutch. Early-Mid '60s. Warmest of all. Like #3, but warmer, richer and not as refined. Not as detailed. Might be wonderful with Grados--a bit too lush for HD650. This is an excellent tube as well--it's certainly not last on the list--maybe right behind #5 or right with it depending on taste?

I'm still waiting for that seller reply.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,177 of 8,309
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,178 of 8,309

Thanks for the link. It will cost me roughly $60 shipped to my country. But that is for 3 tubes right? BTW sir, may I know why you suggest that particular tube? And how to know if it's the genuine OG or not?

Regarding question on the BB, it's Amperex ECC88 – Bugle Boy, made in Holland, Round Getter with shield. Big O getter IINM. it's the second one in the link below:
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/tubeonly-audio/article?mid=-2&prev=42&l=a&fid=5

I wonder if anyone compared these two.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,179 of 8,309

Thanks for the link. It will cost me roughly $60 shipped to my country. But that is for 3 tubes right? BTW sir, may I know why you suggest that particular tube? And how to know if it's the genuine OG or not?

Yeah, that`s 3 tubes for 60$, great deal imho, especially because one is probably GAC coded dimple disc (already pretty hard to find) and other is PQ logo (I have them both). 3rd one I`m not so sure what version Amperex that is. Why that particular tube (you mean OG)? - because it`s very good and I`m not the only one saying it. I have about 40 NOS tubes for T1 and OG is one of the best alongside with Ultron SQ PCC189 (Which is also probably made with old Amperex factory gear in Bharat India) and Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 (Chartres France). Also, it`s with reasonable price, quite cheap actually compared to Amperex 7308 for example. 
How you know it`s legit? Look for different signs, build type, code, printing... please read Salvatore`s useful links about T1 & tubes. I would not be so afraid of fake tubes, usually if you know what to look, they are pretty easy to identify. Brave wolf never feels the hunger as they say - your choice, 1 tube for 50$ or 3 tubes (2 of them are great for sure) for 60$. If I already wouldn`t have those in my collection, would probaby buy them myself.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #3,180 of 8,309
  Yeah, that`s 3 tubes for 60$, great deal imho, especially because one is probably GAC coded dimple disc (already pretty hard to find) and other is PQ logo (I have them both). 3rd one I`m not so sure what version Amperex that is. Why that particular tube (you mean OG)? - because it`s very good and I`m not the only one saying it. I have about 40 NOS tubes for T1 and OG is one of the best alongside with Ultron SQ PCC189 (Which is also probably made with old Amperex factory gear in Bharat India) and Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 (Chartres France). Also, it`s with reasonable price, quite cheap actually compared to Amperex 7308 for example. 
How you know it`s legit? Look for different signs, build type, code, printing... please read Salvatore`s useful links about T1 & tubes. I would not be so afraid of fake tubes, usually if you know what to look, they are pretty easy to identify. Brave wolf never feels the hunger as they say - your choice, 1 tube for 50$ or 3 tubes (2 of them are great for sure) for 60$. If I already wouldn`t have those in my collection, would probaby buy them myself.

I decided to get that OG. Now searching for a a piece or two pieces since they are cheaper. But for one piece, the shipping damn expensive. I might grab that three pieces if no choice. Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back