Aune T1 Mk2 vs. Mk1
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 32
The differences and improvement is quite obvious. I don't think it's only an upgrade in terms of sync to async. 
The major improvement is on the headphone amp. Headphone amp on T1 MK2 is much stronger than MK1. It sounds so much better with tighter and punchier bass (comparable to Bravo Ocean) which I never expect it from Aune. Driving power is also stronger and able to drive big cans quite well now. Tested with several big cans such as Sennheiser HD600, HD650, AKG K601, Beyerdynamic DT880 and so on. It's now more suitable for pop songs and other music genre. MKI still has its advantage for classical with larger and more backward sound stage. 

I love T1 MK1 but always hoping that it can have a fuller and thicker sound with stronger bass. I have it all in MK2 now. 

MKI with stock tube EH6922 sounds a bit sharp on treble and dry for thinner sound headphone. But with the same stock tube, MK2 no longer having the sharp treble issue which is a big YES to me. 

For sound signature wise, Aune T1 MK 1 has very huge sound stage, clean, refined, thin music body and lesser bass.

MK 2 is a big surprise to me. I would say it's a very successful sound tuning. The sound stage is not as wide as MK 1, but more dimensional. Music position slightly forward, but in return a very pleasant tube-ish sound. It's warmer with very good surrounding, details also improve a lot especially as a pure dac. 

I don't believe the differences you are hearing is due to MK1 vs MK2 but rather tube (Unless you're swapping 1 tube between the two) and/or caps within the T1 itself. The caps vary wildly from device to device even within MK1. Comparing internal shots, there's very little difference besides the USB reciever change (sync to async) and caps.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 32
I don't believe the differences you are hearing is due to MK1 vs MK2 but rather tube (Unless you're swapping 1 tube between the two) and/or caps within the T1 itself. The caps vary wildly from device to device even within MK1. Comparing internal shots, there's very little difference besides the USB reciever change (sync to async) and caps.

I'm indeed swapping the same tube between two, using same headphones, same system to do the comparison. :)
The comparison is base on stock tube EH 6922, Tesla yellow label code 32, Amperex bugle boy E88CC, Siemens E88CC A6 and Mullard ECC84 with adapter (Philips label). 

Other than that, didn't touch anything including the caps that you mentioned. I'm not a technical person, not so familiar with the circuit design and didn't open up the unit to check. 

Sometimes base on internal shot, it's also quite hard to judge whether the sound is the same. For example, you won't know whether they are using the same welding tin or interconnects or any other tiny parts. 

So far, I happened to audition a few units of t1 mk1. The sound won't vary that much and they are with the same sound signature. If the difference is due to caps that you mentioned, they should all sound quite different.  

I kept T1 mk1 and mk2 together for comparison for more than a month. A friend of mine who is a classical fan and pianist, know nothing about Aune, bought over my T1 MK 1. He also managed to hear the difference as well and prefer mk1 over mk2. I keep MK2 because I like the sound signature and mainly listen to pop, rock, new age, vocals and electronic. 

Of course I won't know whether the difference is due to different batch of Aune T1 mk2 or not. Sometimes, for some gears, even under the same batch, sound slightly different from one to another. So far, I didn't find that on T1 mk1.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 32
I'm going to give your tube a try I've looked it up it's available on Amazon the sound from this DAC/Amp is excellent I've got my Sony VAIO VGC-RC310G hooked in and I hooked my Oppo BDP-103 going in with HD650's glad I went with the Aune setup

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 32
I'm going to give your tube a try I've looked it up it's available on Amazon the sound from this DAC/Amp is excellent I've got my Sony VAIO VGC-RC310G hooked in and I hooked my Oppo BDP-103 going in with HD650's glad I went with the Aune setup

I'm using Amperex bugle boy Large "O" getter halo (manufactured in year 1960's). You can check it out. 
Amperex bugle boy has 3 most common version which is D getter (1950's), Larger "O" getter (1960's)  and small "O" getter (1970's). D getter is too expensive to me :p
Small O getter is more commonly find in the market but the sound quality is inferior than large O. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 32

I'm indeed swapping the same tube between two, using same headphones, same system to do the comparison. :)
The comparison is base on stock tube EH 6922, Tesla yellow label code 32, Amperex bugle boy E88CC, Siemens E88CC A6 and Mullard ECC84 with adapter (Philips label). 

Other than that, didn't touch anything including the caps that you mentioned. I'm not a technical person, not so familiar with the circuit design and didn't open up the unit to check. 

Sometimes base on internal shot, it's also quite hard to judge whether the sound is the same. For example, you won't know whether they are using the same welding tin or interconnects or any other tiny parts. 

So far, I happened to audition a few units of t1 mk1. The sound won't vary that much and they are with the same sound signature. If the difference is due to caps that you mentioned, they should all sound quite different.  

I kept T1 mk1 and mk2 together for comparison for more than a month. A friend of mine who is a classical fan and pianist, know nothing about Aune, bought over my T1 MK 1. He also managed to hear the difference as well and prefer mk1 over mk2. I keep MK2 because I like the sound signature and mainly listen to pop, rock, new age, vocals and electronic. 

Of course I won't know whether the difference is due to different batch of Aune T1 mk2 or not. Sometimes, for some gears, even under the same batch, sound slightly different from one to another. So far, I didn't find that on T1 mk1.  

Aune T1 has very different capacitors in it as stock configuration and some of them are really poor quality ones. Those capacitors in headphone amp circuit and secondary power supply filter stage DO make difference! And quite a lot imho. I have changed and tested many caps on my T1 and stopped on ELNA SilmiII`s + Panasonic FR as main pwr supply caps - just amazing sound they give! Large airy soundstage with better imaging and separation plus harsh highs are gone and everything is just so "smooth and tubey" sounding. I think the difference You hear is due to different capacitors in those units.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 32
actual numeric comparisons for the differences between the MKI and MKII?

What do You exactly mean by that? MKII just has non-synchronus USB and that`s all the difference there is.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 32
Jan 18, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #25 of 32
If You want to use it as receiver > Aune T1 > K612 then I wouldn`t recommend it since then tube buffer stage isn`t being used and only SS amp part is being used (which is ok sounding but nothing special in stock configuration, it needs capacitor change to sound good). If You want to buy Aune T1 then You should use it as PC > Aune T1 > receiver (for speakers) or K612. That way You would cut out receiver headphone amp (which is likely to be around 100Ohm output, search for exact specs in manual) and make use of tube buffer for both - headphones and receiver. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #28 of 32
  Hi,

I now received mine (T1 Mk2), it's pretty amazing for the money. Its noise floor is amazingly low. Clarity and definition in the music are very good. I replaced the stock tube with a Gold Lion Genalex and loving it. Headbobbing to music the whole day in the office.

Cheers,
K

Reviving this old thread because I am considering getting the T1 Mk2 and have a few questions.  Exactly which Gold Lion Genalex (model-number?) tube did you replace teh stock tube with?

And does anyone else have any advice as to what third-party/aftermarket tube is best to replace the stock tube with to get the best sound from this?  And exactly what difference will it make to change the tube?

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #29 of 32
Should the T1 Mk2 work okay with IEM's or headphones with impedance as low as 24 or 16 ohms, or would that be a bad idea?

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 32
I've had my T1 MK2 since April of 2014 and it was great until the transformer started making a loud buzzing sound which has basically made the thing unusable. I'm on here looking to see if anyone else has experienced this and what, if anything, the solution might be. So far have not had much help from the Aune Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back