Aune S17 pro
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #1,861 of 2,360
Uhh, why would I want (or need) to do that when (1) it is not only more convenient just to place the fan on top of the S17, but impossible to place it underneath in my situation without some kind of major investment of inconvenience, time and/or money (the details of which don't even begin to present themselves to me) and (2) the fan on top at its lowest setting immediately begins to lower the temperature and it decreases from 67° to below 60° in about twenty minutes (yes, it will eventually get warmer here, but I'll be able use the AC by then which will get the temps in my apartment to roughly what they are now).
It was just a suggestion, if you're happy with your set up then that's great, take it or leave it at your convenience.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #1,862 of 2,360
Great, hope this amp it's not to cumbersome for you in it's "requirements", because the sound it produces imho it's worth it.
It's stable at 62 degrees now with no fan. It was the "premium" cable loading it down. FogCityAudio makes some great affordable cables, it even sounds better at a fraction cost of the ripoff Kimber Kable (they make great interconnects though). If any of you are experiencing overheating and are using a fancy cable you might want to swap it out with a different one.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,864 of 2,360
Hello, my S17 is working fine and it seems like the volume has been fixed in firmware version 5.3. However, out of curiosity, could you tell me the differences between versions 5.3 and 5.5? :"D
Hi, 5.5 has enhanced remote control function:)

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #1,867 of 2,360
It was just a suggestion, if you're happy with your set up then that's great, take it or leave it at your convenience.
Rereading my post, it comes off as far snippier than I intended. My apologies and thanks for you help.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,868 of 2,360
Some thoughts about the signal levels. This is important I guess only, if it's so and so, is there enough headroom to use. Ain't it so that e.g 5.0 v balanced output signal is twice the level of 2.5v output signal usually unbalanced rca. If I understand right, from headphone output, balanced or SE, 5v signal sounds 3 db louder than 2.5 v signal.
In this thread has been a lot of talk about Aune's heating up. So when operating with higher power output levels I guess this 5v - 2.5v difference might be of real importance. E.g is Aune working with 2 w rms or 4 w rms levels. Ain't Aune getting hotter and quicker hot when using double power?

You're confusing power and gain. The input voltage will affect the gain, not the output power. In almost all amplifiers, the volume pot is connected directly from the inputs. If the input is lower, and you turn the volume up to compensate, you're getting exactly the same result as having a higher input signal and lower volume setting.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,869 of 2,360
This is interesting, I put a laptop cooler and its stable at 56degrees in 100ma (just during burn in, the fans are too loud for reg use)...I just got some new HP cables in today that is a more traditional 22awg 4 wire from FogCityAudio vs the Kimber AXIOS 16 wire that I had on the LCD-4s and my S17 dropped 6 degrees down to 50 just from the cable swap, I never turned it off and it only took 30 seconds to swap and its staying 6 degrees cooler....less copper going to load equals cooler? Now to turn the fan off.
I've been a bit confused with this Aune 100mA heating up conversation. For some reason I've used 50mA setting perhaps 95% of listening time. I've got Aune for months. So no heating troubles until now.
I made anyhow a 100mA test with two cables: 16 core silver coated copper 4.4mm 6ft and 4 core silver coated 4.4mm 2 meters. My experiences are very much the same as Stevedlu's. With 16 core cable Aune got to 67 oC in 65-70 minutes and with 4 core cable temp was 56 oC in 65 minutes and in 140 minutes temp seems to stabilize to 62 oC. I don't have any kind of cooling with Aune.
I believe the 16 core cable would have reached 69 oC in about 75-80 minutes. Quite astonishing result really, but there must be an explanation for these 16 core and 4 core cables causing so different temperature behaviour of Aune. Although I can't even guess what it might be.

Ps. Still in 62 oC after 160minutes.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #1,870 of 2,360
It's stable at 62 degrees now with no fan. It was the "premium" cable loading it down. FogCityAudio makes some great affordable cables, it even sounds better at a fraction cost of the ripoff Kimber Kable (they make great interconnects though). If any of you are experiencing overheating and are using a fancy cable you might want to swap it out with a different one.
Yep, I haD that experience with both my original balance cable for my koss kph40 and the long xlr cable for my focal clears, was surprise to learn that the cable for the focal was not very well insulated.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #1,871 of 2,360
Cheap AliExpress Openheart balanced cable has been great for me so far, and keeps the temperatures at 61 degrees max with the Aryas Stealth. With the original balanced cable they add to the AudioTechnica MSR7b, which feels like super generic budget cable, the S17 pro doesn't even exceed 60 degrees. But these headphones are very use to drive.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #1,874 of 2,360
It would be a valuable information that the users who found out a difference regarding the operating temperature with different cables would test their units with no cables connected.
Good point…I did see some posts mentioning even without anything, the amps gets to 69 at some point.
I will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know.

I just ordered a laptop cooling pad with variable speed and hope that will fit the bill.

This amp and lcd2 pre fazor are a great match. I use it in 100ma and low gain. The bass kicks hard, treble is nice and round and imaging is is doing great. Same with HD650 in high gain.

Since I have the amp only since few days, still curious how the sound will break in in the next few days…

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back