Aune S17 pro
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #1,816 of 2,360
So just got the Aune s17 Pro today. Hooked it up to the Chord Qutest and Focal Clear. Let it get up to 60 degrees on 100ma and tested. Compared to my xDuoo TA-22 the sound stage and separation was quite an upgrade but overall the dynamics were lacking. Everything kind of sounded thin and hollow. I'm assuming it just needs to bake for a while to break in, which I'm doing now. In either case, i'm not used to all solid state, I'm waiting on a Musical Paradise MP-DX tube DAC to pair with it. Does the s17 have a significant breaking in period?

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #1,817 of 2,360
So just got the Aune s17 Pro today. Hooked it up to the Chord Qutest and Focal Clear. Let it get up to 60 degrees on 100ma and tested. Compared to my xDuoo TA-22 the sound stage and separation was quite an upgrade but overall the dynamics were lacking. Everything kind of sounded thin and hollow. I'm assuming it just needs to bake for a while to break in, which I'm doing now. In either case, i'm not used to all solid state, I'm waiting on a Musical Paradise MP-DX tube DAC to pair with it. Does the s17 have a significant breaking in period?
In my experience, a couple of weeks, just let it burn for that period of time on 100ma, high gain playing something on a headphone on one of it's balance outputs and if you have a high impedance can like a HD600s series or a DT880 600ohm version, or something inefficient like a HE400SE to give the amp a workout, and it should bring the sound to it's fullest potential.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #1,818 of 2,360
In my experience, a couple of weeks, just let it burn for that period of time on 100ma, high gain playing something on a headphone on one of it's balance outputs and if you have a high impedance can like a HD600s series or a DT880 600ohm version, or something inefficient like a HE400SE to give the amp a workout, and it should bring the sound to it's fullest potential.
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm doing with some HD6XX's. Do you know if the RCA inputs are considered inferior on this particular amp vs XLR?

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,819 of 2,360
Some fans came with the laptop pad but they are way too noisy for me. However, If I let them run, the amp runs at 57 constant on 100ma!!

So few things come to mind:

I can see some folks in this thread where temps are a non issue…is it worth for me trying to exchange it with another model? I can still ask for it.

Or should I focus on getting a good fan with some variable power so I can run them silently?
Some laptop coolers have fan speed controllers.

Some folks fail to mention that they have fans under, or cold ambient temperature, or highly ventilated room/house etc.,

Your next unit would most likely be the same (if you exchange).

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,821 of 2,360
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm doing with some HD6XX's. Do you know if the RCA inputs are considered inferior on this particular amp vs XLR?
I would recommend that you try to feed this amp from a balance source in order to get the most out of it and it's full power rating, usually speaking with RCA you're going to get at most 2v, with XLR, of course you have to check your DAC specifications because this is not universal, you can get usually 4v, just as a recommendation. What this means is that you can get what the spec sheet that Aune provides on it's website.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #1,822 of 2,360
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #1,823 of 2,360
lol, my brand new S17 only lasted 30min on 100ma with my LCD-4s before switching back to 50ma....
That happen to me also when I connected my koss kph40 with a balance cable that zeos recommended, what I learned from that it's that the cable that I was using was not properly insulated and so this was causing the amp to freak out and the temps went up crazy fast.

In my experience, this amp is really sensitive to what cables you use to run your cans, so you have to be cognizance of that and also inefficient cans, like HE400SE can make this amp work harder and temps rise as well.

I'm don't know what the specs are of your LCD-4, but I also have a pair of LCD2C which is middle of the road when it comes to efficency and also on impedance for planar headphones and the temps when I run them on high gain, 100ma mode go up a couple of degrees higher than normal but it never reaches the point that it switches back to 50ma mode.

Have you try rising your amp a couple of inches so that it gets proper airflow on the bottom of this amp? that's where the main heat sink is located at and that helps in controlling the temps of this amp.

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,824 of 2,360
It's Class A, so just leave it switched on for a couple of days and see how it is then. The other thing is, many amps change how they sound after they've warmed up vs. cold. Resistors, for example, will change their values slightly as they get warm, enough to measurably alter the output.
I would recommend that you try to feed this amp from a balance source in order to get the most out of it and it's full power rating, usually speaking with RCA you're going to get at most 2v, with XLR, of course you have to check your DAC specifications because this is not universal, you can get usually 4v, just as a recommendation. What this means is that you can get what the spec sheet that Aune provides on it's website.
That is not how amplifiers work.
The RCA inputs will go through a phase splitter to be converted to balanced for the circuit. The only thing you might lose is some gain (so you'll have to turn the volume higher), but that's not power. It's the non-balanced headphone output that only uses half the amplifier, and wont have as much power, which is what you see on the spec sheet. 😀

Finally, the last question, the same shop offers also (for a bit more) the AudioGD master 19…is that an alternative to the s17 ( I love the sound and if the m19 is brighter then, I will refrain from that choice). I really love music for something to be nice and enjoyable…I hate thin sounding and sterile amp.
The Audio-gd "house sound" is of the amp not being there at all. There may be subtle differences, but I'd predict the M19 will be similar to the S17, going by a quick comparison I've done to the amp in the R-27HE and the S17.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #1,825 of 2,360
Please give us an update once the amp has broken in and after it's been switched on for an hour prior to listening. I'm interested in maybe this or the TA-20 Plus so I'd love to hear your views on the TA-22 comparison

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #1,827 of 2,360
post deleted

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,828 of 2,360
ok, so the theory that it's the older batches that overheat just fallen.
The units in warm places are the ones that overheat. Each owner can simulate the effect that a few degrees increase or decrease in the room temperature can have in the unit temperature - I've done it months ago. If I was in Sweden (for example) right now I'm pretty sure that my unit wouldn't overheat.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #1,829 of 2,360
overall the dynamics were lacking. Everything kind of sounded thin and hollow.
It's the exact opposite impression I had when first turning it on, switching from the Earmen ST-Amp and The HFM EF400. I bought it slightly used, though, 2 months old, so if a break-in is a thing, it was already done.

Maybe there's something wrong with your unit. The S17 Pro sounding thin doesn't seem right, especially it overheating after 30 minutes. It's extreme even for this amp.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,830 of 2,360
The units in warm places are the ones that overheat. Each owner can simulate the effect that a few degrees increase or decrease in the room temperature can have in the unit temperature - I've done it months ago. If I was in Sweden (for example) right now I'm pretty sure that my unit wouldn't overheat.
Summer is soon enough, so we'll see. The most temp I had in my room this year was 24 degrees, and my unit didn't exceed 61 degrees with 100mA as I reported there. Summers were quite hot in the recent years though, easily exceeding 30 degrees, so I'm curious how this will affect the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back