Aune S17 pro
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #1,726 of 2,341
My Aryas Stealth arrived yesterday. I'm comparing them to the Ananda Nano and the Edition XS. All 3 are great cans, but the Aryas are definitely the best of the bunch and technically superior. More transparent, more resolving in the mids than the Edition XS, but at the same time less fatiguing when ramping up the volume. Less sterile, bright and more musical than the razor sharp Nanos. Soundstage, technical nuances like sound decay, spatiality are better on the Aryas as well. I got them cheaper than the Meze 109 Pro, which I also tested, and honestly the Aryas stomp them.

Looking forward to the HEKs sometime later.

Interestingly, the Aune S17 Pro stays below 60 degrees with them in 100mA, while it stabilizes at 61 with the other two, using the same balanced cable.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,727 of 2,341
Anyone know the best place to order the S17 Pro in the UK? I can see a couple of silly prices from Eden Audio on Google but I've never heard of them, I've sent an email asking why the low price. I can also see that Audiophonics in the EU is awaiting stock, also the official EU Aune store is also out of stock... maybe a new version coming? :relaxed:

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,728 of 2,341
I have to say, with those genres I really think you'd prefer the He1000 as they are very detailed and melodic cans with a bit less of a bass emphasis than the LCD-X.
Food for thought. He1000 Stealths are truly a special set of headphones and are a fantastic deal when you consider they were released as $3000 headphones.
Now that's a lot higher than LCD-X or Arya, and a huge reason I took a look at them to begin with.
Haven't regretted it a bit.
Considering the new priceline of Hifimans I'll recommend He1000Stealth also. It's simply more TOTL headphone like although Arya Stealth is great too.
Both are very good all rounders. High frequencies are a bit crisp in Hifiman style. So tubey like Aune S17Pro is a Very good pairing with Hifimans imo.

Hmmm. As the famously cheap Jack Benny said when when a thief put a gun to his head and demanded his money or his life, "I'm thinking. I'm thinking." I'm also pairing the S17 with the slightly warmish R2R Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and that combo gives the Arya Stealth a bit more bass (certainly not night and day but noticeable) than my previous combo of Liquid Platinum (now retired) and the OG AKM 4499 Topping D90 MQA (now doing service in my TV/Blu-ray setup). It should do the same to the HEK Stealth. TBH, I've never been bothered by Hifiman treble--it just might be one of the very few positive things about being 70!

And while far from the most important factor, I admit that I much prefer the looks of the egg shaped Hifiman cans to those of Audeze, which are built like a tank and look about as appealing to me (though I know many like the look). While no one is ever going to mistake a Hifiman for a ZMF or Meze, I do like that the HEK is a bit more premium than the Arya, replacing some of the Arya's plastic bits with metal and upgrading its slightly nasty fabric headband (reviewers appear split whether it's real or faux leather; knowing Hifiman, I'd guess the latter). Though I do object a little to the apparently fake wood veneer on the cups--it reminds me of the dashboard of my father's '70s Chevvy Caprice.

Oh, and out of nowhere, completely off topic, and of absolutely zero interest to anyone else here (and because I can't resist): Go 'Gate! The number four ranked Colgate (my alma mater) women's hockey team, after beating Cornell (my law school alma mater that I hate) 5-1 yesterday are playing Clarkson later today for their fourth straight ECAC championship. I'm really hyped.

Two Updates: Since I know everyone is waiting with bated breath LOL, it was a terrific hockey game between the nation's third highest scoring team (Colgate) and the nation's best defensive team (Clarkson). Both teams were great; Colgate had the edge in play but was kept off the board by Clarkson's insanely good goalie. The game was scoreless until 8:25 of the third period when a rebound of a shot off the rush by a Colgate freshman (oops, showing my age, they use first year now) went in off a Clarkson defender. The 'gate added two empty net goals to win 3-0 and their fourth straight ECAC championship. Now on to the NCAA tournament where Colgate probably gets the third seed (it'll be announced tomorrow) after Wisconsin and Ohio State and a first round bye. Where they could see Clarkson again, since they'll probably be the fourth or fifth seed, also getting a first round bye. I'm a very happy man and have decided on getting the Hifiman HEK V2 Stealth in April and possibly getting an LCD-X around August or September.. For the moment.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #1,730 of 2,341
Anyone know the best place to order the S17 Pro in the UK? I can see a couple of silly prices from Eden Audio on Google but I've never heard of them, I've sent an email asking why the low price. I can also see that Audiophonics in the EU is awaiting stock, also the official EU Aune store is also out of stock... maybe a new version coming? :relaxed:
Eden Audio seem legit and are a proper Aune distributor - I spoke with both them and Aune about having mine with the volume issue looked at and both confirmed that fact. To be honest I didn't get a very friendly reception from Eden but as long as they're selling it at a good price, that doesn't matter.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,731 of 2,341
The Hifiman Arya Stealth sound magnificent with the S17 Pro, although I am able to notice a significant improvement from the Edition XS just using them with the Chord Mojo 2 alone (which I use as a DAC with the S17 Pro). I don't own the Edition XS but I auditioned them side by side with the Arya Stealth using Chord Mojo 2 as DAC/amp combo. Nevertheless my favourite headphones (with or without the S17 Pro) are my Sennheiser HD800s - I find them not so different from the Arya Stealth's - it's just that everything is a bit better, with resolution and soundstage significantly better. I use EQ in Roon for both headphones.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #1,732 of 2,341
Eden Audio seem legit and are a proper Aune distributor - I spoke with both them and Aune about having mine with the volume issue looked at and both confirmed that fact. To be honest I didn't get a very friendly reception from Eden but as long as they're selling it at a good price, that doesn't matter.
That’s god news, I’ve emailed them and also mentioned issues, if they don’t reply it’s prob because these are old stock with the issues maybe and they are just selling them off. Everyone seems to be out of stock so perhaps a new version is coming?

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,733 of 2,341
I wrote to a Canadian dealer asking about their experiences with this amp, but have not heard back. They're usually pretty good and I have bought a lot stuff from them over the years.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,734 of 2,341
I wrote to a Canadian dealer asking about their experiences with this amp, but have not heard back. They're usually pretty good and I have bought a lot stuff from them over the years.
It seems clear to me that i would rather buy from a dealer or distributor who wants me custom and is prepared to support their products, than another who is only a ‘fair weather friend‘. I suppose as more manufacturers go direct, so resellers are being pushed out of business, we want direct to consumer prices but local support… cake and eat it maybe?

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #1,735 of 2,341
I bought mine from HiFiGo, don't know if they serve the european market tho.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #1,736 of 2,341
I bought mine from HiFiGo, don't know if they serve the european market tho.
Yes it looks like they do, but the returns procedure and refunds are typical of non-European companies, with re-stocking fees in some cases, and of course theres the more expensive returns shipping. In the UK and EU (which the UK left despite nearly 50% of its population who bothered to vote wanting to stay in!) the reseller is legally bound by distance selling rules and such - which means returns for no reason other than you don’t like it are accepted without argument. Even so… European distributors of Chinese products often argue, because they are little more than an address where goods are stocked for more local delivery across the EU, the ethics and accepted practices are still those of the parent country.

I don’t mind purchasing in the UK (Amazon is the easiest with a 30 day return period) or the EU. Although we have to watch out for taxes now we are no longer in the club, and leaving caused no end of bad feeling and even today getting stuff from some EU countries is impossible, they just won’t ship here! Sound Imports is my go to EU shop, followed by Audiophonics and for pro stuff Thoman.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,737 of 2,341
It seems clear to me that i would rather buy from a dealer or distributor who wants me custom and is prepared to support their products, than another who is only a ‘fair weather friend‘. I suppose as more manufacturers go direct, so resellers are being pushed out of business, we want direct to consumer prices but local support… cake and eat it maybe?
That's odd. I emailed Eden about the S17 and they replied 90 minutes later. All seemed fine to me

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #1,738 of 2,341
Yes it looks like they do, but the returns procedure and refunds are typical of non-European companies, with re-stocking fees in some cases, and of course theres the more expensive returns shipping. In the UK and EU (which the UK left despite nearly 50% of its population who bothered to vote wanting to stay in!) the reseller is legally bound by distance selling rules and such - which means returns for no reason other than you don’t like it are accepted without argument. Even so… European distributors of Chinese products often argue, because they are little more than an address where goods are stocked for more local delivery across the EU, the ethics and accepted practices are still those of the parent country.

I don’t mind purchasing in the UK (Amazon is the easiest with a 30 day return period) or the EU. Although we have to watch out for taxes now we are no longer in the club, and leaving caused no end of bad feeling and even today getting stuff from some EU countries is impossible, they just won’t ship here! Sound Imports is my go to EU shop, followed by Audiophonics and for pro stuff Thoman.
I used to buy all the time things from the UK. Unfortunately since Brexit I always buy within the EU (not because the companies won't ship to EU but to avoid extra taxes) , but I feel that my options have significantly diminished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back