Aune S17 pro
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,696 of 2,487
Unfortunate because this is a really good sounding amp, but if you're having issues then if you can return it, do so.
one of my favourite dealers, The Headphone Bar, is carrying this now. Up here it is $999.00, plus tax, for a grand total of $1,150.00.

I think I will contact them and see how they have been doing with them.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,697 of 2,487
one of my favourite dealers, The Headphone Bar, is carrying this now. Up here it is $999.00, plus tax, for a grand total of $1,150.00.

I think I will contact them and see how they have been doing with them.
Canuck monopoly money right?

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #1,698 of 2,487
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #1,699 of 2,487
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #1,700 of 2,487
I supposed VAT is included in your final sales price like here in Mey-meyxico right?
Instead of Value Added Tax, we have the Harmonized Sales Tax.
Each province can have a different rate. For several provinces (including Nova Scotia), it is 15%.
We never get charged duties on headphone gear, but if you are buying in the store or bringing it across the border you will pay the 15% tax.

So every time I see a product on Head-Fi that seems to be very reasonable priced, I have to multiply it by 1.35 (roughly) for exchange and then add 15%. It is heartbreaking sometimes. :smile:

Although some companies do drop the price a little bit in Canada to ease the pain. Or maybe it's the dealer taking less to get the sale.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,701 of 2,487
I'm not so sure. I've had the S17 since late November and until recently it never exceeded 64-65° even after hours of operation at 100mA. However, recently it's been slightly warmer in my apartment (exterior temps have not changed yet but management must have turned up the heat a bit in response to complaints; I have no control over heat other than opening/closing a window) and I have seen temps as high as 68° before turning it off. I added a $20USD three speed 120mm fan (I just drop it on top) and turn it on low when the temperature hits 67°. It cools down to below 60° in about twenty minutes and I turn it off. I'm not an engineer and understand that Aune used their standard large chassis and had to find savings somewhere to bring the S17 in at $700. But it still boggles my mind that despite being very cognizant of the heat issue they didn't drill some additional vents in the case.

And now to shift gears entirely: I'm planning to get a new headphone in a few weeks to complement my daily driver, the Hifiman Arya Stealth. Has anyone heard the Audeze LCD-X on the S17 and can comment on the pairing? I've pretty much decided on the LCD-X because most (but not all) people describe it as having punchy bass with decent slam, the lack thereof being about my only nit to pick with the Arya Stealth. I'm not a basshead and don't listen to genres with a lot of sub-bass (like EDM and hip-hop) but I love to listen to bass guitar. (Though the once $3K Hifiman HEK V2 Stealth is hard to resist at its current $1,400 price. But everything I read suggests it would sound fairly similar to the Arya but with better technicalities and, yes, a somewhat punchier bass. But not as punchy as the LCD-X, and I think I'd rather get it as a warmer complement to the Arya while the HEK Stealth would essentially be an Arya replacement.)
My rec is
sell the arya
grab hek stealth and
LCD-X as they compliment each other nicely.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,702 of 2,487
For those using fans, aiming at the amp from the rear would do the most, that's where the ventilation holes are. I'd aim it at the set of vents on the left side since the vents by the power cord are going to be hard to position a fan over. It will help to promote cross ventilation used that way. Aiming it at the other sides is going to be less effective in extreme cases - but might be better in middling cases. The amp is built to run best at some range of temps - so if you live in an igloo, running a fan at all times could be wrong. If your room is say 90 F al the time, then maybe all the time is right.

People used to tube amps or Class A amps probably wouldn't be stressed vs those used to Class AB or D which is much cooler generally. In facts tubes and Class A is usually designed to work best at those higher temps. So maybe this is all a tempest in a tea-pot - outside of the heat threshold being tripped causing issues.
I would suggest trying the fan as a pull instead of a push;
face it to expel heat from the rear holes.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,703 of 2,487
For those using fans, aiming at the amp from the rear would do the most, that's where the ventilation holes are. I'd aim it at the set of vents on the left side since the vents by the power cord are going to be hard to position a fan over. It will help to promote cross ventilation used that way. Aiming it at the other sides is going to be less effective in extreme cases - but might be better in middling cases. The amp is built to run best at some range of temps - so if you live in an igloo, running a fan at all times could be wrong. If your room is say 90 F al the time, then maybe all the time is right.

People used to tube amps or Class A amps probably wouldn't be stressed vs those used to Class AB or D which is much cooler generally. In facts tubes and Class A is usually designed to work best at those higher temps. So maybe this is all a tempest in a tea-pot - outside of the heat threshold being tripped causing issues.
The thing thats weird to me is Flux Mentor being Class A just like MJ3 and s17 yet the latter two run hot but the Mentor runs at like 40c-45c.
I wonder if thats a product of it being a dual-mono design instead of having to run connected in a balanced array.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,704 of 2,487
You're probably right, but since I stack the S17 over my DAC on extra tall legs (not optimum I know, but I have limited space, the DAC appears no warmer than previously, and the R2R Denafrips Ares 12th-1 also benefits from some warmth to perform at its best; I leave it on 24/7), I'd need to find something on which to place the fan to bring it to the level of the rear vents, adding to the already moderate inconvenience of the fan. In any event, just placing it on top of the S17 quickly cools it from 67° to 59° at which point I turn it off.
maybe something like this?
image_2024-03-07_184450647.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #1,705 of 2,487
Instead of Value Added Tax, we have the Harmonized Sales Tax.
Each province can have a different rate. For several provinces (including Nova Scotia), it is 15%.
We never get charged duties on headphone gear, but if you are buying in the store or bringing it across the border you will pay the 15% tax.

So every time I see a product on Head-Fi that seems to be very reasonable priced, I have to multiply it by 1.35 (roughly) for exchange and then add 15%. It is heartbreaking sometimes. :smile:

Although some companies do drop the price a little bit in Canada to ease the pain. Or maybe it's the dealer taking less to get the sale.
yeah but not as heartbreaking as still paying 12% sales tax on everything and then getting INSANE medical bills, too.

Y'all still got it good up there. Less likely to get shot at in traffic or at school, church, the mall, etc , too...

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #1,706 of 2,487
I would suggest trying the fan as a pull instead of a push;
face it to expel heat from the rear holes.
Could be but concentrating the fan on the left or the right will get more air in there if that's the goal. It's like a closed room with two windows facing the same way, one fan in or outfacing. Of course two fans one in and one out would be best. Or forget the warranty and drill holes in the top and bottom!

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,707 of 2,487
Y'all still got it good up there. Less likely to get shot at in traffic or at school, church, the mall, etc , too...
You got that right! Our system has issues too, but it's a lot safer up here.

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,708 of 2,487
Could be but concentrating the fan on the left or the right will get more air in there if that's the goal. It's like a closed room with two windows facing the same way, one fan in or outfacing. Of course two fans one in and one out would be best. Or forget the warranty and drill holes in the top and bottom!
go full push-pull , yeah.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #1,709 of 2,487
One nice thing about the UK is that all prices include sales tax (VAT) as it is country-wide. The first time I went to California I was like a kid in a sweet shop with everything being so cheap, then I got a nasty surprise at the checkout.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,710 of 2,487
Hello,

I'm new in this thread although I've got Aune S17Pro for months and liked it a lot.
I wonder if anybody has knowledge of Aune's power consumption with e.g 1/10, 1/2 and max power output in 50 mw(AB) and 100mw(A) states?
I remember a comment that Aune uses quite a lot of power in A state but haven't seen any actual numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back