Aune S17 pro
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #1,086 of 2,490
Yes!!
I know that the manufacturer is the one who should make the ventilation grid, but it's so easy to do that if I buy an S17 I would certainly do the ventilation, it's so easy to cut there or have it cut at laser and engraving companies, I like I'm eager to talk about DIY, but of course I understand that many people wouldn't want to keep their original device immaculate, but I don't care about that, I've never had any difficulty selling devices that I've modified in the future. :beerchug:

1705012548149.png 1705014905748.png 1705014937346.png
How did you secure the mesh and grills?

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #1,087 of 2,490
- Noise Issues with 2 aftermarket XLR cables -

No input source (DAC) connected. Volume set to zero. Headphones (55ohms) connected via XLR connection.
There's constant pink noise emitting from the headphones when in G-H mode. In G-L mode, dead silent. 50mA or 100mA does not matter.
With music playing = constant pink noise plus music.

Stock oem XLR cables = no noise.
Aftermarket OCC pure copper XLR braided cables = noise.
Aftermarket silver plated copper XLR braided cables = noise.

These 2 aftermarket cables works ok (no noise) with a lesser powerful amp.
May be too much current is flowing from S17 thru these cables (more conductive?) to the 55ohm headphones causing the noise?

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #1,088 of 2,490
@Musiccc With what headphones? High gain in some amps, with IEMs may have some noise, though not usually headphones.

The eagle has landed…curra could you please include (even if brief) how it compares to the Mjolnir 3, I’d imagine a big difference in sound signature, but i think alot of us are also interested in the difference in sound quality, thanks in advance curra

Noting that these are out-of-the-box impressions, and the connections to both amps were different. The Mjolnir threw a bigger soundstage, while the S17 sounds a bit thicker/narrower (maybe from higher crosstalk?). Still, I could clearly make out the difference between the Yggdrasil A2 and TT2/MScaler with the S17, so that's given me a positive first impression. This with the Expanse and Utopia 2022 @100mA at about 50 degrees.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,089 of 2,490
- Noise Issues with 2 aftermarket XLR cables -

No input source (DAC) connected. Volume set to zero. Headphones (55ohms) connected via XLR connection.
There's constant pink noise emitting from the headphones when in G-H mode. In G-L mode, dead silent. 50mA or 100mA does not matter.
With music playing = constant pink noise plus music.

Stock oem XLR cables = no noise.
Aftermarket OCC pure copper XLR braided cables = noise.
Aftermarket silver plated copper XLR braided cables = noise.

These 2 aftermarket cables works ok (no noise) with a lesser powerful amp.
May be too much current is flowing from S17 thru these cables (more conductive?) to the 55ohm headphones causing the noise?
Can you please suggest me a working cable because I have the same problem as you with aliexpress braided xlr cable

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #1,090 of 2,490
I mostly prefer 50ma, low gain mode for my setup/preference after some OBJECTIVE evaluation. The 100ma mode is just one of the settings among others. It's not a magic bullet.

It really depends on your headphones. Used as poweramp, you will really feel a difference between the two modes. My Meze Elite works really better on the 100 mA with high gain when my dynamics transducers work better in 50 mA low gain. The difference is real.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,091 of 2,490
Just want to add that my S17, bought via Aune Germany 3 weeks ago, has no heating problems whatsoever. At 20 degrees room temperature, it never got hotter that 62 degrees (100ma). Even after 6 hours of playing (HE1000SE). Also, the volume control is fine (new programming now default). I do occasionally (really: rarely) notice that the remote is sensitive to commands given to other devices (but not my ADI FS 2, a problem that someone else mentioned...).

Sound wise, it's really on the warm side. Perhaps a touch too laid back in the mid/highs but after correction using the PEQ in the ADI dac, that's fine now. What remains is the thicker, weighty sound and that pairs really well with the HE1000SE.
Compared to my Feliks Elise amp with nice NOS tubes (GEC for 6as7g position, 4x Visseaux 6J5 instead of 2x 6SN7) there is less 'tube magic' - but more control over the lows.

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #1,092 of 2,490
@Musiccc With what headphones? High gain in some amps, with IEMs may have some noise, though not usually headphones.

Focal Clear.
Stock SA (6.3mm) and XLR = ok.
Aftermarket silver plated copper SA = ok.
Aftermarket silver plated copper XLR = noise.
Aftermarket OCC pure copper XLR = noise.

Nice aftermarket cables, nothing fancy, really like them. about $50 each.

Attachments

• HP cable s.jpg
    HP cable s.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 0
  • OCC cable.jpg
    OCC cable.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #1,093 of 2,490
Well, my review unit arrived. Initial impressions are positive, though I need to set things up as equally as possible. I agree that the chassis doesn't seem to be very ideal for the temps involved, though indeed, even a slow spinning fan will solve that.

Hopefully full review will arrive soon. To me Aune amps are much better than typical chi-fi stuff from ASR and kind of reminds me of older Luxman amps

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,094 of 2,490
What would you consider to be the ideal temperature (displayed)?

IMO the s17 sounds significantly better warm (above 50°C) than cold, as others have already reported. But is there perhaps an upper limit where it sounds less great? I have the impression that my s17 sounds even better since it stays at 55°C at 100ma because of the fans.

Or do JFETs sound better the hotter they are and the 69°C limit is more important to protect other components?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back