Aune S17 pro
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #316 of 2,360
A6👉 EF600👉S17 pro

R2R magic into the S17. Still waiting on my Arya Organic, but it brings magic to Edition XS and the 660s2's
20231122_155538~2.jpg

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #317 of 2,360
There is Black Friday promotion on Hifigo.

Aune S17 pro for 629$.

Just ordered one :D

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #318 of 2,360
I got the S17 Pro early this afternoon and, after letting it warm up for 35 minutes to just over 50°C, I've been listening for about three hours. There are a number of differences, mostly rather subtle, from the Liquid Platinum and I am very happy thus far. As I hoped, it does add a little warmth (not a lot, but a welcome smidge) to the Arya Sealth, bass seems to be a little more prominent in the mix, and everything seems to hit a little harder. The biggest difference, which was almost startling at first, was that the soundstage was not only more holographic, but it was immediately in my face; the LP soundstage was placed more in front of me by a couple of rows.

As I suspected, the volume issue is a non-issue for me. The Arya Stealth is the only full size headphone I've tried thus far and I got plenty of volume around 35 in high gain or 42 in low gain. I did listen to one album with the Thieaudio Monarch Mk II, which is more sensitive than any of my full size headphones, but is not particularly sensitive for an IEM. It was nice and loud at 32 in low gain. BTW, the temperature, which had risen to 64° actually dropped a couple of degrees while listening with the Monarch.

Finally, the S17 is really on the large size for a desktop unit (I was well aware of the dimensions, but seeing it in the flesh is a bit different). It overhangs the Denafrips Ares 12th-1, which is no compact unit, by a goodly amount on each side, although the Ares is slightly deeper. I wouldn't like to stack the S17 right on the Ares with the short stock feet due to the heat. I ordered the tallest conical adhesive rubber feet I could find on Amazon (.89 inches) which give quite a bit of clearance for heat dissipation, hopefully enough.
I imagine a bit more warmth will come into it as it burns in/settles down.

I'm concerned about the size too, it's much bigger than my adi-2. I assume the S17 gets too hot to stand it in top?

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #321 of 2,360
IF it's really a totally A class amplifier, then why does it get hotter in high gain mode than in low gain mode?

It doesn't make sense for me.
First, and I'm no engineer and am certainly open to be schooled about this, but since the amp is outputting more power in high gain, this doesn't seem unreasonable. Second, I'm not even sure if that is true, at least for my unit. I was listening late last night in low gain at 32 volume and the temperature reached 64° after about 45 minutes of warmup and 45 minutes of listening. I've only had the S17 for a couple of days so this is a small sample size, but the highest temperature reached thus far, even after 4-5 hours of warmup and operation in high gain, was 65°.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #323 of 2,360
IF it's really a totally A class amplifier, then why does it get hotter in high gain mode than in low gain mode?
According to the laws of physics, the heat generated is proportional to the product of current and voltage. Accordingly, more heat is generated in the 100mA mode than in the 50mA mode.
Higher electric current means higher heat generated.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #324 of 2,360
According to the laws of physics, the heat generated is proportional to the product of current and voltage. Accordingly, more heat is generated in the 100mA mode than in the 50mA mode.
Higher electric current means higher heat generated.
Yes, but I think the point of what that person was saying - why does it make a difference between high gain and low gain? 100mA and 50mA mode is different than high gain and low gain. Pretty sure those are unrelated.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #325 of 2,360
why does it make a difference between high gain and low gain?
High gain means higher power. Higher power means higher heat generation.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #326 of 2,360
Because gain is actual voltage stage gain adjusted with by switching between two sets of resistors that set the gain. Atleast that's how it's done in 99% of headphone amplifiers out there. So increased gain increases heat and Power consumption irrelevant if it's 50ma or 100ma setting.
And this setting would be class a bias current, having it higher would increase power consumption by quite a large amount and heat generation even more.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #328 of 2,360
Didn't Jason from Schiit write a post on real Class A. Who knows how many companies actually do it.

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #329 of 2,360
Absolutely not, if it is a true A class amplifier. At least that's my understanding of a class A working mode.

It means that the amlifier works at 100% ALL THE TIME. That is called class A.
I agree with nobela that high or low gain should not have an impact on the power consumption … and that’s also not what I experienced (but I will doublecheck).
Switching from 50mA to 100mA does increase the power consumption (and the heat).

For the purists … in a class-a headphone amplifier the temperature could even decrease as the volume is increased because the amplifier always runs at 100% but a little bit of this energy will be passed over to the headphone where it is converted to music (and a fraction heat) … so by the law of physics the temperature of the amp itself might reduce slightly :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #330 of 2,360
Absolutely not, if it is a true A class amplifier. At least that's my understanding of a class A working mode.

It means that the amlifier works at 100% ALL THE TIME. That is called class A.
Gain does not equal volume control...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back