Aune S17 pro
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #1,037 of 2,480
The most reasonable explanation for me is that the product has a poor design (heat dissipation not compatible with the 100ma mode). Apart from that there some (many) defective units that are not able to produce 100ma (even if so is stated in the display) so their owners are happy with their product because ignorance is a bliss. Of course Aune should come and explain the different behaviour between units, but only thing that they do is emit some vague comments.
one thing I noticed, there is some differences between their website picture and actual unit.

below captured image from youtube

1705011307.9886398.png

this one is from their website
1705011336.628865.png

Big heatsink is missing on actual unit.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,039 of 2,480
Open a dispute at AliExpress because the seller sold you a defective product.
When i contacted the manufacturer, they confirmed the unit is possibly defective. I contacted the seller and forwarded email conversation. AliExpress seller said they also contacted the manufacturer, seller said Aune confirmed the unit is very normal.

horrible seller

here is final conversation with aune.
I had to have this sad conversation on Christmas eve.
IMG_1900.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,041 of 2,480
On the 'aune store' website, S17 Pro is shown at €729.00 (app. $730.00 USD). Of this price, what portion relates to amplifier circuitry, what portion pertains to visual display etc ... ? 🤔

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,042 of 2,480
In post #933 Aune is very clear with the below statement:

“Hi, if there's a problem of your device, we recommend you to contact your seller to test it. If it's malfunctioning, you may need a repair or replacement.”

Nothing ‘vague’ in that statement, to me.
I managed to solve the issue with my "defective" unit by myself. Turned the AC on to 25 °C and the unit temperature stays stable at 63 °C. Listened for one hour with Sennheiser HD800s and I'm into 25 minutes of listening with Hifiman Arya Stealth. The unit is at 63 °C since 44 minutes. Different cables, headphones, volume have no effect whatsoever. Since most users probably have room temperatures way below mine, I'm guessing that they are only going to find that their unit is defective in the summer months (or never if they use AC).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #1,043 of 2,480
Yes!!
I know that the manufacturer is the one who should make the ventilation grid, but it's so easy to do that if I buy an S17 I would certainly do the ventilation, it's so easy to cut there or have it cut at laser and engraving companies, I like I'm eager to talk about DIY, but of course I understand that many people wouldn't want to keep their original device immaculate, but I don't care about that, I've never had any difficulty selling devices that I've modified in the future. :beerchug:

1705012548149.png
1705014905748.png
1705014937346.png

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,045 of 2,480
There are 1032 defective in 1827 sold. Only not sure if the one I bought is one of the 1032 or one of the others. 😁
The total production quantity of the S17 Pro up to now is only 800 units :joy: Where did you get your numbers from...?

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #1,046 of 2,480
Class A amps reaching over 65C is not anything unusual, though it may hurt the lifespan of the components. Problem here is that the amp won't let you use 100ma to prevent it from overheating which might have been one of the selling points of the amp.
The problem was wanting at all costs to maintain that typical design of their S series (which they have been using for many years now) for a device that would have at least needed ventilation grills on the top. Unusual is to build a pure class A amplifier inside a completely closed enclosure. Class A amplifiers operating at maximum voltage need at least multiple ventilation grills or adequate dissipation systems with noticeable external fins that release heat. I'm in Italy and it's cold now and maybe it could work but as soon as our very hot Italian summer arrives it will be possible to use it in 100mha mode for no more than 5 minutes maximum.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,047 of 2,480
I have been listening to the Aune S17 for a few days and feel confident enough to give my impressions.

First of all, my unit has no heat problems what so ever. Volumen control also seems fine.
I have connected it to my V850 via XLR, keeping the volume at max on my V850. Headphones are Focal Utopia OG connected via original XLR cable.

Max temps, that I have been hitting in 100mA mode, are 59C-60C after about 2 hours of listening. Room Temp was around 18C.

Now to the sound in comparison with my V200:
The biggest difference when comparing the S17 volume matched to my V200 is the soundstage presentation.
The S17 has a more holographic presentation, everything is not as "direct" sounding but rather slightly diffused and more separated.
Also its tone is a little warmer then V200, leading to a smoother presentation but with less slam/impact.

For my personal taste, the S17 in combination with my DAC/Headphone leans a little bit to warm, even in 50mA mode. You loose some of the kick/punch the Focal headphones are known for.
In return you gain an even smoother presentation, which arguably is more long time listening friendly, and a bigger/more holographic spacial presentation.

Unfortunately, I really don't like the tone being to warm as I listen to a lot of Electronica where the added dryness/kick of the Vio come in very handy.
Also the Vio is just warm enough for my taste.
Also I don't value staging as much, as others do. I guess that's a quirk of my preferences.

I was able to purchase a used V281 yesterday and therefore the Aune has to go back. I think if your DAC+Headphone combo is an cooler one, than this AMP will absolutely add warmth to the sound with an very interesting spacial presentation. Highly recommended if your taste fits the description!

Just not my cup of tea.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,050 of 2,480
This makes it run hotter. Plug in a headphone that actually needs power, crank up the volume, and it should run significantly cooler.
Playing through a difficult to drive headphone will only increase the temperature as this is a class A amplifier which will get warm even with no input or output. There are 2 power settings 50 and 100 and when you use the amp on the higher 100 setting it will get significantly hotter. When it reaches 69 degrees C the amplifier should automatically reduce the power to 50 to reduce the temperature. I hope this helps as it's a superb sounding pre amp and headphone amp but it will run hot and use more electricity than a class A/B or D amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back