Aune S17 pro
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,022 of 2,487
, I was able to solve the problem today simply and inexpensively. My S17 Pro stands on an approx. 5mm thick glass surface. I had noticed that the glass surface was heating up considerably due to the heat radiating downwards. I had the idea of using the glass plate even more for the S17

This makes it run hotter. Plug in a headphone that actually needs power, crank up the volume, and it should run significantly cooler.
Ummmmm…. with volume 27-29, XLR input from the DAC, using Sony MV1 or HD660s2 headphones. i got same results. this is the reason for running another test without any input/output. regardless of any settings, temperature is ramping up rapidly until 69c.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,023 of 2,487
Having a exac same issue.
My room temp is 20C, my unit is rised up on the spike, During the testing, it was powered on without headphone, without any audio input, with zero volume.
Tempurature reached out maximum 69C degree at 100ma mode VERY quickly, then switched to 50ma mode.
I feel S17 (general class A amp) makes good sounds when it is warmed up abourd 50C degree.
The temp changing speed from 50C to 69C, only takes 15 mins, ramps up fast.
Basically, I only can listen the music for 15 mins at 100ma mode, 50ma mode stays at 62C.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 2.08.53 PM.png
Definitely this is not normal, therefore I reached out the seller to return or get replacement, A seller refused my return request, and said unit is VERY normal.
If anyone consider to order any audio equipment from AliExpress, "All buyers worldwide, beware of the seller below. Despite clear heating issues and provided test results with pictures and videos, this seller has refused return & refund."

AliExpress seller: AKHiFi Audio Store
Open a dispute at AliExpress because the seller sold you a defective product.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,025 of 2,487
It's not that uncommon for this product: my unit has exactly the same behaviour, altough I am able to run it in 100 ma for about 1 hour. The only thing I noticed that as a major effect on the unit temperature is room temperature: I lowered the room temperature by 10 C (28C to 18 C) and was able to run it for two hours and it only reached 65 C (the room was too cold for me, unfortunately).

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #1,026 of 2,487
It's not that uncommon for this product: my unit has exactly the same behaviour, altough I am able to run it in 100 ma for about 1 hour. The only thing I noticed that as a major effect on the unit temperature is room temperature: I lowered the room temperature by 10 C (28C to 18 C) and was able to run it for two hours and it only reached 65 C (the room was too cold for me, unfortunately).
MigueIP, an S17 overheating without anything connected at a room temperature of 20 degrees is not normal. When my S17 is powered on at 18 degrees room temperature it wil max out at 55 with no extra ventilation whatsoever.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,027 of 2,487
T
MigueIP, an S17 overheating without anything connected at a room temperature of 20 degrees is not normal. When my S17 is powered on at 18 degrees room temperature it wil max out at 55 with no extra ventilation whatsoever.
Maybe we should do a poll to see how many units overheat and how many don't, indicating the room temperature they operate. In my experience everything else apart from current has no effect (balanced/single ended, low or high gain, volume, et).

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #1,028 of 2,487
T

Maybe we should do a poll to see how many units overheat and how many don't, indicating the room temperature they operate. In my experience everything else apart from current has no effect (balanced/single ended, low or high gain, volume, et).
As far as I know there are some unfortunate combinations with specific (low impedance) headphones that have higher temperatures but also those S17 units should not overheat when there is no (or another higher impedance) headphone connected.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #1,029 of 2,487
In this review the guy says he saw it reaching 70 C. I am guessing that his room is a lot colder than mine, so they even sent a review unit with the same behaviour. One thing I do know: this was the first and last item I've bought from Aune.

As far as I know there are some unfortunate combinations with specific (low impedance) headphones that have higher temperatures but also those S17 units should not overheat when there is no headphone connected.
This is a class A amp. Yours doesn't reaches the same temperature (whatever that is) with no cables connected? Maybe you have a defective unit then.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,030 of 2,487
I would say that any Aune S17 that does NOT overheat to 69C on 100ma is abnormal.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,031 of 2,487
Class A amps reaching over 65C is not anything unusual, though it may hurt the lifespan of the components. Problem here is that the amp won't let you use 100ma to prevent it from overheating which might have been one of the selling points of the amp.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #1,032 of 2,487
I would say that any Aune S17 that does NOT overheat to 69C on 100ma is abnormal.
Yes. That's what I've said before. Maybe they are operating with only one transistor per channel and can't produce 100ma. Maybe the owners who think that have a perfectly working unit have a defective one.

The most reasonable explanation for me is that the product has a poor design (heat dissipation not compatible with the 100ma mode). Apart from that there some (many) defective units that are not able to produce 100ma (even if so is stated in the display) so their owners are happy with their product because ignorance is a bliss. Of course Aune should come and explain the different behaviour between units, but only thing that they do is emit some vague comments.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #1,033 of 2,487
Heat sinker + lift the amp with higher feet should solve the problem for most people suffering of hot room temperatures. But if the unit reaches the limit without normal temperature, yes you have a deffective unit. Mine has never reached the point.

Screenshot_20240111_225356_AliExpress.jpg

Passive heat sinker

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #1,034 of 2,487
How many defective units are there, and how many has been sold? @MiguelP

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #1,035 of 2,487
The most reasonable explanation for me is that the product has a poor design (heat dissipation not compatible with the 100ma mode). Apart from that there some (many) defective units that are not able to produce 100ma (even if so is stated in the display) so their owners are happy with their product because ignorance is a bliss. Of course Aune should come and explain the different behaviour between units, but only thing that they do is emit some vague comments.
In post #933 Aune is very clear with the below statement:

“Hi, if there's a problem of your device, we recommend you to contact your seller to test it. If it's malfunctioning, you may need a repair or replacement.”

Nothing ‘vague’ in that statement, to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back