Aune S17 pro
Nov 13, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #211 of 2,360
one of the biggest attribute that I am expecting from this amp is the soundstage, as many reviewers pointed out that it expresses wider and holographic soundstage. And one concern is whether it will tame the treble energy, but this is what I am assuming based on the warmish tuning it seems to have. Can someone share the experience how it handles treble? isn't it making the overall tone too relaxed in the higher frequency?

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #212 of 2,360
one of the biggest attribute that I am expecting from this amp is the soundstage, as many reviewers pointed out that it expresses wider and holographic soundstage. And one concern is whether it will tame the treble energy, but this is what I am assuming based on the warmish tuning it seems to have. Can someone share the experience how it handles treble? isn't it making the overall tone too relaxed in the higher frequency?
In all 3 dimensions the S17 Soundstage is wider than the Vio V280.
Highs:
At 50mv mode, the highs are perfect, no roll off, slightly more edgy than the 100mv mode, but not sharp.
At 100mv mode, the edges are slightly more rounded, but no roll off and no loss of detail. The soundstage is even bigger and a touch more holographic.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #213 of 2,360
In all 3 dimensions the S17 Soundstage is wider than the Vio V280.
Highs:
At 50mv mode, the highs are perfect, no roll off, slightly more edgy than the 100mv mode, but not sharp.
At 100mv mode, adds a slightly tuby like disortion but very little, the edges are slightly more rounded, but no roll off and no loss of detail. The soundstage is even bigger, a touch more holographic, full and lush.
The 100mv mode adds no volume and power, it changes only the sound from "normal" to more lush and full with a touch tuby sound.
For gaming i´m using most of the time 50mv, for music 100mv.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #214 of 2,360
The treble just sounds natural. Not too relaxed and not aggressive.

I am listening to some vocal music with backing vocals. The way the backing vocals are handled is just superb. They sound clear and natural in a well defined 3 dimensional space.

I think the S17 is a game changer and it will show the way forward for other manufacturers. Topping has a long way to go before they can reach this level.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #215 of 2,360
The treble just sounds natural. Not too relaxed and not aggressive.

I am listening to some vocal music with backing vocals. The way the backing vocals are handled is just superb. They sound clear and natural in a well defined 3 dimensional space.

I think the S17 is a game changer and it will show the way forward for other manufacturers. Topping has a long way to go before they can reach this level.
Have you heard any changes in sound the first day´s - burn-in periode?

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #216 of 2,360
Have you heard any changes in sound the first day´s - burn-in periode?
I have never noticed any burn in with any component, apart from speakers and headphones. The S17 is no different to me, it sounds the same as when I first turned it on. I think what people describe as burn in is often just their own ears adapting to the component.

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #217 of 2,360
I have never noticed any burn in with any component, apart from speakers and headphones. The S17 is no different to me, it sounds the same as when I first turned it on. I think what people describe as burn in is often just their own ears adapting to the component.
same 4 me - sounded amazing from the first listening minute on and no sound signature changes over time.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #218 of 2,360
Well that's one way to put it, I guess 😁
In which way are they so different to you?
I'm considering trying the A70 Pro from Topping at some point but this Aune is also interesting as an alternative.
I owned the A90 briefly and it was the flattest, most boring amp ever. Flat narrow staging, poor imaging, mediocre dynamics, and something was off timbre-wise. Almost rolled off sounding. I think shortly after I got the full Class A Bryston BHA-1 which was infinitely better. The S17 Pro is similarly designed to the BHA-1. The A90 has that nested feedback or whatever topology which I suppose the advantage is high power, efficiency, measures well on paper, and compact size. But the subjective sound quality is lacking to my ears. Long story short, get the Aune if you can.

@drspeter Your DAC is excellent though. I used to own the X26 Pro and it was an amazing DAC, especially for the price.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #219 of 2,360
Just bought the S17 Pro, I'll receive next week. The 55-56 step, in my experience, certainly means something and I don't think it's a design error. Perhaps it represents a class transition, from A to AB. I noticed the same thing on the kef ls50w2 I had. The 50-51 step was notable and probably, in that case, represented the transition from class A to class D

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #220 of 2,360
My curiosity, for who had the 55-56 step "issue"...where did you buy your S17 pro? Directly from European Store, USA, China, ecc...ecc... and if everyone have that "issue", when and where did you buy the S17 Pro?

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #221 of 2,360
My curiosity, for who had the 55-56 step "issue"...where did you buy your S17 pro? Directly from European Store, USA, China, ecc...ecc... and if everyone have that "issue", when and where did you buy the S17 Pro?
My device has no issues, not with volume settings and not with temps (max. 58c) I´ve bought it in the Europe store.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #225 of 2,360
Just bought the S17 Pro, I'll receive next week. The 55-56 step, in my experience, certainly means something and I don't think it's a design error. Perhaps it represents a class transition, from A to AB. I noticed the same thing on the kef ls50w2 I had. The 50-51 step was notable and probably, in that case, represented the transition from class A to class D
If you look a few pages back, someone posted a response from Aune on this issue. In brief, they are aware of how the volume works above 55, it was a deliberate design choice (and they explained why), and it won't be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back