Aune S17 pro
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #1,546 of 2,480
Temperature update....

Okay AFTER 20 hours, 100ma mode, high gain, 4 pin XLR balanced output 1.5m (4.9f) cable, and 73f (23c) room temps.....

It is holding at 53c.

Test Conclusion:

• This fan is MORE than enough to control the temperatures of this unit.
  • With the inline on/off switch, I can now keep the temperatures AT ANY temperature I want.
    • Want higher temps, turn the fans off with the in-line switch which for me is right next to the unit.
    • Want lower temps, turn the fans on and then off when you reach desired temps.
And if you want to concentrate in the music listening you could even hire someone to keep an eye on the temperature! 😂

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #1,547 of 2,480
And if you want to concentrate in the music listening you could even hire someone to keep an eye on the temperature! 😂
🤣😂🤣😂. @MiguelP I am perfectly enjoying the heck out of my XS listening to music like never before... :L3000:

Now I don't need to watch them anymore.... By the way for the "hot amp" peeps, 55c is 131f. Are you all saying the amplifier is not hot enough to sound great at 131f.. because it sounds fabulous to me... 60c would be 140f. So the missing 9 degrees f is not causing me any issues.

So everyone enjoy :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #1,548 of 2,480
Guys, which gain setting do you use? I've always followed the rule that if the headphones are loud enough, use low gain to reduce noise. Well, my most demanding headphones, the Edition XS, are certainly loud enough at 30-35 volume in low gain for most situations. However, the EF400 worked differently; high gain increased not only the volume, but also the impact and dynamics. I used it as the default setting. What about the S17?

@SmartCheetah I look forward to your EF400>>S17 impressions. The Hifiman Himalaya r2r DAC is a great value at that price point.
Ok. For now I'm using the XLR-RCA connection until XLR-XLR arrives.

It's SO GOOD, so powerful! The impact and dynamics on this brick! The soundstage! The amplifier on the ST-AMP is no slouch, nor is on the EF400, but the way my neutral/brigth(ish) headphones sound on the EF400 > S17 is great. I drafted a short comparison between the ST-AMP and the S17, but then realized I almost repeated what @Ichos already said, same impressions. So let me just quote it:
The St-Amp is a very good headphone amplifier but it lacks that Class-A magic of the S17 which has a thicker and warmer sound, tube-like character, more holographic soundstage and is also more impactful. The St-Amp has better transparency and clarity though so it depends on the application.
The difference in impact is quite significant. Even comparing to the EF400 solo, which already has a powerful sound presentation. Lots of body, no fatigue. I really like it.

Interestingly, I preferred the OS mode with the ST-AMP as it adds more heft and warmth, but with the Aune I much prefer NOS, which is a true R2R mode. This seems to confirms the notion that this amp pairs very nicely with R2R DACs like the EF400.

Comparing the S17 to the EF400 solo:
1. Even more impact.
2. Shoutiness gone.
3. Sibilancy gone.
4. Mids hollowness gone.
5. Just as big if not bigger soundstage, but better extended, layered and more 3d.

ST-AMP is also able to take care of points 1-4, but to a lesser extent and with a much less weight.

About temperatures: It stabilized at 59°C in 100mA mode with my 1.4m Openheart 16-core balanced cable, low gain, volume 32. I'm quite happy with that. However, the unit is elevated sitting on some LEGO blocks for testing :) At first, when I placed it directly on my desk and stacked the EF400 on top, it reached 65°C in 3 hours and continued rising. No doubt it would keep going and throttle at 70°C. It was already too hot to touch, especially on the bottom. So I removed the EF400 and placed the amp on LEGO. The temperature dropped by 5°C in 30 minutes just by doing this.

I also added a USB fan underneath the unit, so I can activate it with the wire control if the temperature exceeds 60°C, which I aim to prevent. I tested it, and it cools it down quickly, then it takes another 1-2 hours for the temp to go back up. Like @SpiritualAbies2600, I'm going to turn it on/off when needed.

Overall, it's a great purchase. I bought lots of stuff in the last few months but don't remember being so happy.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,549 of 2,480
that's what she said.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I mean, in my experience if you do a few certain things for the wife she tends to not bish about reasonable purchases...

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #1,551 of 2,480
Guys, which gain setting do you use? I've always followed the rule that if the headphones are loud enough, use low gain to reduce noise. Well, my most demanding headphones, the Edition XS, are certainly loud enough at 30-35 volume in low gain for most situations. However, the EF400 worked differently; high gain increased not only the volume, but also the impact and dynamics. I used it as the default setting. What about the S17?

Ok. For now I'm using the XLR-RCA connection until XLR-XLR arrives.

It's SO GOOD, so powerful! The impact and dynamics on this brick! The soundstage! The amplifier on the ST-AMP is no slouch, nor is on the EF400, but the way my neutral/brigth(ish) headphones sound on the EF400 > S17 is great. I drafted a short comparison between the ST-AMP and the S17, but then realized I almost repeated what @Ichos already said, same impressions. So let me just quote it:

The difference in impact is quite significant. Even comparing to the EF400 solo, which already has a powerful sound presentation. Lots of body, no fatigue. I really like it.

Interestingly, I preferred the OS mode with the ST-AMP as it adds more heft and warmth, but with the Aune I much prefer NOS, which is a true R2R mode. This seems to confirms the notion that this amp pairs very nicely with R2R DACs like the EF400.

Comparing the S17 to the EF400 solo:
1. Even more impact.
2. Shoutiness gone.
3. Sibilancy gone.
4. Mids hollowness gone.
5. Just as big if not bigger soundstage, but better extended, layered and more 3d.

ST-AMP is also able to take care of points 1-4, but to a lesser extent and with a much less weight.

About temperatures: It stabilized at 59°C in 100mA mode with my 1.4m Openheart 16-core balanced cable, low gain, volume 32. I'm quite happy with that. However, the unit is elevated sitting on some LEGO blocks for testing :) At first, when I placed it directly on my desk and stacked the EF400 on top, it reached 65°C in 3 hours and continued rising. No doubt it would keep going and throttle at 70°C. It was already too hot to touch, especially on the bottom. So I removed the EF400 and placed the amp on LEGO. The temperature dropped by 5°C in 30 minutes just by doing this.

I also added a USB fan underneath the unit, so I can activate it with the wire control if the temperature exceeds 60°C, which I aim to prevent. I tested it, and it cools it down quickly, then it takes another 1-2 hours for the temp to go back up. Like @SpiritualAbies2600, I'm going to turn it on/off when needed.

Overall, it's a great purchase. I bought lots of stuff in the last few months but don't remember being so happy.
I'm really glad to hear you're happy with it, I had a feeling the EF400 would compliment it well and it'll get better and better as it burns in.

Some of us set the volume on the S17 to max (63) and control it from the DAC so that there's only one volume control (resistor) in the circuit, not two. Worth a try?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #1,552 of 2,480
Some of us set the volume on the S17 to max (63) and control it from the DAC so that there's only one volume control (resistor) in the circuit, not two. Worth a try?
Not sure how it works, but the volume knob on the EF400 has no effect on volume. Should it have? They're connected with XLR (EF400 output) and RCA (S17 input). EF400 is connected to my PC with USB, Windows is set to volume 100. I control the volume through the amp obviously.

Also you made me realize the Aune goes up to 63 only. I didn't try it and I assumed it would be 100. Why exactly 63? :)

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,553 of 2,480
Finally tried this amp, and dare say, definitely a pleasant surprise!

Didn't expect much at first, but turns out S17 Pro become my most favorite desktop amp in this price range. Definitely a step up (or more) than typical Topping/SMSL Amps, and actually I also like it even more than my beloved Singxer (this is the true surprise).

S17 produce neutral, clean, fast type of sound, with enough "sweetness" in each notes that make everything still sound natural and weighty. No sharp brightness nor thin tonality. Everything sound solid and dense with energetic character. Soundstage is simply one of the best I ever heard (again, in this price range), wide, spacious, and imaging structural also great.

p.s: With 100mA mode, I tried S17 in a room with temperature 22c for 4 hours, and the amp temperature remain around 60/61c. Driving ZMF Caldera in Low Gain (volume around 25-35)
This is what happens when a manufacturer designs an amp to perform well, and not just to fight the "who can have the lowest SINAD" war.
Not sure how it works, but the volume knob on the EF400 has no effect on volume. Should it have? They're connected with XLR (EF400 output) and RCA (S17 input). EF400 is connected to my PC with USB, Windows is set to volume 100. I control the volume through the amp obviously.
I think he has a different DAC with which he can do that.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,554 of 2,480
Not sure how it works, but the volume knob on the EF400 has no effect on volume. Should it have?
Sorry, I didn't use mine as a DAC only and couldn't remember if the volume control worked in that mode or not. You're fine.
Also you made me realize the Aune goes up to 63 only. I didn't try it and I assumed it would be 100. Why exactly 63? :)
0 to 63 = 64 = binary number, it's an R2R digital volume control.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,555 of 2,480
Man, thanks so much for the tip. I think I'm already locked in on Flux Mentor after reading Ichos' review; since MJ3 and s17 are iffy on pushing Tungstens. Thats a shame bc both seem to have some magical sound characteristics. Both would be amazing for my Stealths, but, the Mentor will be as well. And I love the idea of supporting a Ukrainian company literally building in the warzone that is Kharkiv, Ukraine. Slava Ukraini.

So as of now I'm planning Yggy Gs2 >> Flux Mentor >> Norne Vykari >> Modhouse Tungsten.

I never say "End Game" but that will put my Audio Nervosa to rest for a year or two I think. I usually upgrade the chain then chill for a few years.
Given the specs that are listed on their page, Mentor shouldn't have any issues driving any HP on the planet to their fullest extend, now you can always do better of course, but you're entering into the territory that John Darko calls "audiophile differences" and rightfully so.

And yes it's really impressive that Flux Labs was able to continue operations inside Ukraine, Kharkiv for more than a year has been kind of far away from the front-lines now so they're not in any immediate danger per-say, but there's always the chance that something really unfortunate happens to them, but the fact that they're sticking to their guns is really admirable, but I also understand why other companies like Rebel Amp decided to leave the country, I'm sure it pain them greatly to leave their country behind and set up shop somewhere else, but at the end of the day you have to look up for yourself and your family and I don't think is fair to criticize them for that decision, if we where in their situation we would have probably done the same, or at the very least the thought would had cross our minds, probably at least a couple of times per day.

Except for my DAC, in regards to my amp I can say that if I don't buy anything else, I would be perfectly happy given that every headphone I have right now it's being driven beautifully and to their full capabilities with this amp, and as I have mentioned before, most of the time and listening on low gain, tho at around the middle 50's specially with cans like the 6XX or my DT88s 600ohm.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,556 of 2,480
Indeed, Brother. And also a lot of people happy for each other instead of jealousy. People from all over the world just getting along.

What a great forum.
I would disagree to some extend, I've been following GoldenSound and sometimes he gets into very heated arguments with people that are not very charitable to put it lightly, but yes, in this particular instance, things have been very civilized, specially for a public forum, thank God this hasn't devolved to reddit or 4chan tier levels of discourse.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #1,557 of 2,480
lol. And people with mental barriers like me. I was always interested in a good sound, but entered the serious hobby only half a year ago. Since then I bought 15 (yes, 15!) pairs of cans and multiple AiO units & dongles. Fortunately most are sold/returned already. Only last month I bought 2 amps/dacs (EF400/St-AMP) and yesterday the S17 Pro. In most cases it's an impulse purchase. The only thing that saves me is the mental barrier preventing me from spending too much on a single device. But the barrier keeps moving farther nearly each month. Last year I thought I was crazy buying the Edition XS for the full price before reductions. And yesterday I spent 2600PLN/650USD for the amp alone. I need to settle down...

Also, my wife is a saint (she has musical education, so I think deep down she understands :D )
Well you're a married man now and you know you'll have to compromise with her on several things, and your priority should always be to keep your wife and the rest of your family happy, this is a hobby at the end of the day, it shouldn't become an ever consuming obsession, that's unhealthy, so long as you are spending what's completely disposable income that's not needed for anything else more important and you're being responsible with your family finances, it is fine to spoil yourself with something that you enjoy and love. So Cheers and enjoy what you have right now!
Can you elaborate please? I'm using Tidal Hi-Fi for music playback almost exclusively.
I also use Tidal Hi-Fi, specially in the office, so if you're only doing that, you shouldn't worry about it so much, if you where planning to play around with upsampling with HQPlayer for example, then this NOS thing would be more relevant.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,558 of 2,480
Beside the temperature, what's the other issue?
The volume seem to be an issue with the first batch of S17, in which every for steps it would increase the volume, sometimes substantially, now it seems to have been solved with newer units.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #1,559 of 2,480
Finally tried this amp, and dare say, definitely a pleasant surprise!

Didn't expect much at first, but turns out S17 Pro become my most favorite desktop amp in this price range. Definitely a step up (or more) than typical Topping/SMSL Amps, and actually I also like it even more than my beloved Singxer (this is the true surprise).

S17 produce neutral, clean, fast type of sound, with enough "sweetness" in each notes that make everything still sound natural and weighty. No sharp brightness nor thin tonality. Everything sound solid and dense with energetic character. Soundstage is simply one of the best I ever heard (again, in this price range), wide, spacious, and imaging structural also great.

p.s: With 100mA mode, I tried S17 in a room with temperature 22c for 4 hours, and the amp temperature remain around 60/61c. Driving ZMF Caldera in Low Gain (volume around 25-35)
Glad that you're enjoying your new acquisition, this is by far the best amp I owned, but then again I'm not familiar with anything about $1k so I cannot say if it really punches above it's weight class like some reviewers have said.

Try putting the amp on high gain with 100ma mode turn on to test how high the temps in your amp go and how long it takes to reach 69 degrees(if it ever reaches them) and goes back to 50ma mode.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #1,560 of 2,480
Here comes mine. Can't wait to test it!

20240222_134315.jpg

I'm so hyped.
Cheers my friend and congratz on your new purchase!!!!

Remember that this is a fully discrete, class-A amp and it has to run for some time before the electronics inside the amp settle down and you get the full sound potential of this amp, it might take a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back