Aune S17 pro
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #1,531 of 2,479
Yeah that does seem to be the list. I really had hoped the s17 and or Mjolnir3 were on it, too.
I dont know much about the Flux Labs.
There's a thread here on head-fi about this amp, already a couple of reviews, btw @Currawong are you planning on doing a review on the Flux Labs Mentor?, Really interesting in getting your thoughts on this amp, is kinda of flying under the radar a little bit but it seems to be really good, specially for the price and seems to be hitting way above it's weight in a similar fashion to MJ3.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,532 of 2,479
Yeah, Bro, i've wanted HEkSE for a long time. I wasnt able to get to $2 grand yet but I did manage to get HeK Stealths and they are really good. I'd be happy staying here, but, I'd be still lusting to upgrade to HeKSE.
We're drifting a bit off topic here but having watched and read all the reviews I could find with many of them comparing the HEKS with the HEKSE (which was half as much again at the time) and only finding small differences, I think the HEKS is the better value. A couple of them even said they'd choose the Stealth over the SE.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #1,533 of 2,479
There's a thread here on head-fi about this amp, already a couple of reviews, btw @Currawong are you planning on doing a review on the Flux Labs Mentor?, Really interesting in getting your thoughts on this amp, is kinda of flying under the radar a little bit but it seems to be really good, specially for the price and seems to be hitting way above it's weight in a similar fashion to MJ3.
It's not on my list at the moment. If I can catch up this year with reviews, I might consider it.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #1,534 of 2,479
We're drifting a bit off topic here but having watched and read all the reviews I could find with many of them comparing the HEKS with the HEKSE (which was half as much again at the time) and only finding small differences, I think the HEKS is the better value. A couple of them even said they'd choose the Stealth over the SE.
Better VALUE is a definite. Stealths @ $1400 are only beaten by Tungsten SS @ $1499 on "best value" i think.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,535 of 2,479
Man, thanks so much for the tip. I think I'm already locked in on Flux Mentor after reading Ichos' review; since MJ3 and s17 are iffy on pushing Tungstens. Thats a shame bc both seem to have some magical sound characteristics. Both would be amazing for my Stealths, but, the Mentor will be as well. And I love the idea of supporting a Ukrainian company literally building in the warzone that is Kharkiv, Ukraine. Slava Ukraini.

So as of now I'm planning Yggy Gs2 >> Flux Mentor >> Norne Vykari >> Modhouse Tungsten.

I never say "End Game" but that will put my Audio Nervosa to rest for a year or two I think. I usually upgrade the chain then chill for a few years.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #1,536 of 2,479
I was just thinking, what a lovely community we have here. Despite the 100+ pages of mostly complaints about two fairly serious issues with this device, it has been completely civilised with lots of suggestions, help offered and looking for solutions and work-arounds, all without very much useful input from the manufacturer. Thank you all for making it this way, I like it here. :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,537 of 2,479
I was just thinking, what a lovely community we have here. Despite the 100+ pages of mostly complaints about two fairly serious issues with this device, it has been completely civilised with lots of suggestions, help offered and looking for solutions and work-arounds, all without very much useful input from the manufacturer. Thank you all for making it this way, I like it here. :)
Indeed, Brother. And also a lot of people happy for each other instead of jealousy. People from all over the world just getting along.

What a great forum.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #1,538 of 2,479
Okay, it has been 7 hours 11 minutes. S17 still in 100ma High Gain XLR input and 4 pin XLR output.
Temperature holding steady at 55c with the Room Ambient at 78f (25c). The highest it got was 56c then came back down to 55c.

I am calling this a success. No more temperature issues. If anything changes, I shall let you know... but 55c with a room temperature of 78f (25c) is great in my book.
I'm with @Erick Muller on this one, it's not about bringing it down as much as possible, it's about not reaching the "cut off" temps for best sonic quality. As Class A it's supposed to be hot by design.

you mean us the poors?
lol. And people with mental barriers like me. I was always interested in a good sound, but entered the serious hobby only half a year ago. Since then I bought 15 (yes, 15!) pairs of cans and multiple AiO units & dongles. Fortunately most are sold/returned already. Only last month I bought 2 amps/dacs (EF400/St-AMP) and yesterday the S17 Pro. In most cases it's an impulse purchase. The only thing that saves me is the mental barrier preventing me from spending too much on a single device. But the barrier keeps moving farther nearly each month. Last year I thought I was crazy buying the Edition XS for the full price before reductions. And yesterday I spent 2600PLN/650USD for the amp alone. I need to settle down...

Also, my wife is a saint (she has musical education, so I think deep down she understands :D )

If the EF400 is a truly a NOS DAC, I would suggest you try out HQPlayer to get the most out of it.
Can you elaborate please? I'm using Tidal Hi-Fi for music playback almost exclusively.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #1,539 of 2,479
Damn, you have been a busy boy.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #1,542 of 2,479
Beside the temperature, what's the other issue?
In the early models (actually until fairly recently) there was a problem with the volume control that made it unusable for some people, especially those who want to use it as a preamp. It is fixed in current devices but there is no satisfactory resolution for those of us with old models.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,543 of 2,479
Finally tried this amp, and dare say, definitely a pleasant surprise!

Didn't expect much at first, but turns out S17 Pro become my most favorite desktop amp in this price range. Definitely a step up (or more) than typical Topping/SMSL Amps, and actually I also like it even more than my beloved Singxer (this is the true surprise).

S17 produce neutral, clean, fast type of sound, with enough "sweetness" in each notes that make everything still sound natural and weighty. No sharp brightness nor thin tonality. Everything sound solid and dense with energetic character. Soundstage is simply one of the best I ever heard (again, in this price range), wide, spacious, and imaging structural also great.

p.s: With 100mA mode, I tried S17 in a room with temperature 22c for 4 hours, and the amp temperature remain around 60/61c. Driving ZMF Caldera in Low Gain (volume around 25-35)

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,544 of 2,479
Here comes mine. Can't wait to test it!

20240222_134315.jpg

Soundstage is simply one of the best I ever heard (again, in this price range), wide, spacious, and imaging structural also great.
I'm so hyped.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,545 of 2,479
Temperature update....

Okay AFTER 20 hours, 100ma mode, high gain, 4 pin XLR balanced output 1.5m (4.9f) cable, and 73f (23c) room temps.....

It is holding at 53c.

Test Conclusion:

• This fan is MORE than enough to control the temperatures of this unit.
  • With the inline on/off switch, I can now keep the temperatures AT ANY temperature I want.
    • Want higher temps, turn the fans off with the in-line switch which for me is right next to the unit.
    • Want lower temps, turn the fans on and then off when you reach desired temps.

Attachments

• 20240222_082426.jpg
    20240222_082426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back