Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #76 of 1,991

Another problem with d-pad, unless we are talking about PAW Gold
wink.gif
, it's hard to operate blind, especially when in your pocket.

Couldn't agree more with that.  I think I can live with it if the SQ is really that good and punches way above the price tag.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #77 of 1,991

Another problem with d-pad, unless we are talking about PAW Gold
wink.gif
, it's hard to operate blind, especially when in your pocket.

Couldn't agree more with that.  I think I can live with it if the SQ is really that good and punches way above the price tag.

Sound quality (from balanced output) is better in comparison to C200, and M1s has VERY little hissing.  I'm talking about hardly any hissing even with Zeus!!!

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #78 of 1,991

Are you able to fast forward through the song?  I'm still having a hard time with long press vs short click of the d-pad control.  The sound is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's hard to make a judgment about the design, the interface, and hw controls when dealing with engineering sample and a buggy sw/fw rather than a final product.  2.5mm bal output sounds very impressive for sure, but I would have preferred just 3 transport control buttons instead of d-pad control (in this particular design), and perhaps a more compact shape.  Of course, my subjective opinion
biggrin.gif

I can fast forward with no issue. I also prefer the option to have the pad controls functional while screen is locked. Honestly I have zero issues with it at all, besides not having a album or artist folder at main screen. Folder and songs are the only options for now, but that's easily fixable in a firmware update.

I assume you also found issue with LO where enabling it turns the volume to the max on both 2.5mm and 3.5mm ports?  Definitely a bug.  Plus, they also need to fix gain setting; I'm using all my IEMs, even sensitive ones on high gain now.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #79 of 1,991
I assume you also found issue with LO where enabling it turns the volume to the max on both 2.5mm and 3.5mm ports?  Definitely a bug.  Plus, they also need to fix gain setting; I'm using all my IEMs, even sensitive ones on high gain now.

That's not an issue for me? If using lo to amp, why wouldn't both outputs need to be engaged in that mode, without a switch? I'm using middle gain with duke iem and have a more full sound coming from them today. I found the aune bass to started really punching after 20 hours.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #80 of 1,991

That's not an issue for me? If using lo to amp, why wouldn't both outputs need to be engaged in that mode, without a switch? I'm using middle gain with duke iem and have a more full sound coming from them today. I found the aune bass to started really punching after 20 hours.

My review unit and @Hisoundfi review unit both function the same where enabling LO puts 2.5mm and 3.5mm HO outputs into high volume output.  Like I said, could be an issue with my engineering sample.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #82 of 1,991
My review unit and @Hisoundfi
 review unit both function the same where enabling LO puts 2.5mm and 3.5mm HO outputs into high volume output.  Like I said, could be an issue with my engineering sample.

Why is that an issue? Isn't that the point of the function? Without a switch to use only 2.5mm or 3.5mm ho at once, both need to be engaged so it can run to either type of amp?

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #83 of 1,991
Why is that an issue? Isn't that the point of the function? Without a switch to use only 2.5mm or 3.5mm ho at once, both need to be engaged so it can run to either type of amp?
It's misleading.

The bottom of the unit indicates the 3.5mm plug is the line out. I damn near blew my eardrum out when I made the switch with earphones on.

The line out should be through just the 3.5mm output. That way if it's connected in a portable stack the 2.5 mm trrs can still be used as well without having to go back into settings or risking damaging our hearing.

At least indicate both terminals as lines out. Just my two cents.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #85 of 1,991
It's misleading.

The bottom of the unit indicates the 3.5mm plug is the line out. I damn near blew my eardrum out when I made the switch with earphones on.

The line out should be through just the 3.5mm output. That way if it's connected in a portable stack the 2.5 mm trrs can still be used as well without having to go back into settings or risking damaging our hearing.

At least indicate both terminals as lines out. Just my two cents.

Gotcha. At least theirs a LO symbol on the screen, so if you see that, there is some warning. Enjoy the music

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #88 of 1,991

My review unit and @Hisoundfi
 review unit both function the same where enabling LO puts 2.5mm and 3.5mm HO outputs into high volume output.  Like I said, could be an issue with my engineering sample.

I think you have indicated before this is your first DAP?  As you aware, Line Out (LO) is the output of the DAC where internal headphone amp is bypassed so you can feed it into external amp.  I have tested and reviewed a few dozen of DAPs, and it's typical to have only 3.5mm LO or in a some cases a shared 3.5mm HO/LO.  As Vince indicated above, it's misleading especially when only 3.5mm port is labeled as having a shared HO and LO output.  2.5mm TRRS is a very atypical port for LO, never ever seen it before, and I'm not even aware of any portable amps that take a balanced Line In input.  Do you?

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #89 of 1,991
I think you have indicated before this is your first DAP?  As you aware, Line Out (LO) is the output of the DAC where internal headphone amp is bypassed so you can feed it into external amp.  I have tested and reviewed a few dozen of DAPs, and it's typical to have only 3.5mm LO or in a some cases a shared 3.5mm HO/LO.  As Vince indicated above, it's misleading especially when only 3.5mm port is labeled as having a shared HO and LO output.  2.5mm TRRS is a very atypical port for LO, never ever seen it before, and I'm not even aware of any portable amps that take a balanced Line In input.  Do you?

ALO RX MK3-B does have balanced input but in Rubicon form. But it is rather odd to line out both outputs when only 1 is marked.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #90 of 1,991

Not sure, but when I turn LO on, I wouldn't assume the balanced out is for some reason not at full power. Also say chord mojo, in line out mode, both outputs are the same. So to me this is not new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back