Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 9, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #48 of 1,991

Can it be connected to a PC and used as a sound card?

It can not. That hardware is not set up to even allow that in the future

Also noticed that my Win7 laptop doesn't recognize uSD card when I connect M1s, so had to copy files externally.

Been playing with M1S for about an hour, and so far I'm VERY impressed with Sound Quality, in particularly the Balanced output.  A rather noticeable difference between SE and BAL outputs with improved transparency and layering, wider soundstage, better dynamics.  Overall the sound  is rather neutral, dynamic, with a nice transparency and retrieval of details.  The sound quality is up there with some of the top mid-fi DAPs that cost at least 2x more.  Of course, will be putting it through 100hrs of burn in, this is out of the box impression after 1+ hr of listening and 1hr of burn in prior to that.

My only gripe so far with d-pad "wheel" control which is a bit sensitive depending on how/where I press'n'hold to fast forward, and often skips to the next song.  Seems to work better when I press L/R sides closer to the edge to fast forward/rewind.

Also, for those reviewers who got Lee's email with the latest FW, the upgrade is a bit tricky; took me a little while to figure it out.  Copy the file to uSD card, but don't insert the card into M1S.  Go to Settings -> System Update and after clicking ok and getting message "wait TF insert", then insert uSD with "update" file in a root directory.  And after update is done, re-insert the card.

Also noticed that my Win7 laptop doesn't recognize uSD card when I connect M1s, so had to copy files externally.

Been playing with M1S for about an hour, and so far I'm VERY impressed with Sound Quality, in particularly the Balanced output.  A rather noticeable difference between SE and BAL outputs with improved transparency and layering, wider soundstage, better dynamics.  Overall the sound  is rather neutral, dynamic, with a nice transparency and retrieval of details.  The sound quality is up there with some of the top mid-fi DAPs that cost at least 2x more.  Of course, will be putting it through 100hrs of burn in, this is out of the box impression after 1+ hr of listening and 1hr of burn in prior to that.

My only gripe so far with d-pad "wheel" control which is a bit sensitive depending on how/where I press'n'hold to fast forward, and often skips to the next song.  Seems to work better when I press L/R sides closer to the edge to fast forward/rewind.

Also, for those reviewers who got Lee's email with the latest FW, the upgrade is a bit tricky; took me a little while to figure it out.  Copy the file to uSD card, but don't insert the card into M1S.  Go to Settings -> System Update and after clicking ok and getting message "wait TF insert", then insert uSD with "update" file in a root directory.  And after update is done, re-insert the card.

Mine shipped with firmware 1.00
I uploaded the one Lee sent and it still says firmware
Only difference I noticed was the gain now says high, middle, or low. prior it was -10db, -20db, or -30db.

Did you notice anything else?

I guess it is about time for me to clear some air.

First I wanna thank all those who joined us to help AUNE with this beta test ~ and I am sorry for not stating this before the shipment, all review units are engineering samples, and the build quality (for instance the volume buttons ) will surely be improved in their retail versions.

As for the FW, we can only take credit in pushing it, it is their in-house os, we won't be able to do change even if we wanna to, and I am glad that our feedback will be executed in the final retail version, which means the FW (even same 1.00) that we got in the engineering sample is going to be replaced by the FW I have emailed u guys. And the most noticeable change is actually in the slow mode. but in principle what we suggested is to make each different mode more distinctive, which in turn, can give the customers more options in tweaking their own sound. For instance, I was totally sold on the idea of monk plus in 2.5mm trrs with m1s in the new slow and mid-gain(with or without the ultra-thin stock foam).

hope this can help clarify things up.

Cheers

Lee

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #55 of 1,991

25 hours of play time on the M1s, and it continues to impress. The detail retrieval, resolution, and soundstage is fantastic. It's performance in my opinion deserves a higher price tag. Pink Floyd- The Wall, while using the VE duke AE, has a massive soundstage and deep bass. The sound overall is becoming more rich with burn in. After 100 hours I will post a full review.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #56 of 1,991

25 hours of play time on the M1s, and it continues to impress. The detail retrieval, resolution, and soundstage is fantastic. It's performance in my opinion deserves a higher price tag. Pink Floyd- The Wall, while using the VE duke AE, has a massive soundstage and deep bass. The sound overall is becoming more rich with burn in. After 100 hours I will post a full review.

Wow. I'm really impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back