AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) and STAX
Dec 16, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 222

Load 55 Ohms : P max = 1,5 Watts ; V max = 9 Volts rms (OTL mode) (*)
Load 300 Ohms : P max = 3,5 Watts ; V max = 32,5 Volts rms (OTL mode) (*)

These two calculate to a 145 ohm output impedance.
And actually its significantly more than that when you calculate from
the voltage into a 2000 ohm load.

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 222
Quote:astrostar59
 Too much desperate selling here. This phishing needs to get banned.

In her biography on Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs.[2] Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

Eric65 may come across as a Gallic steamroller, but that's part of French culture.
Some cultures are self-effacing, some are overbearing, most are somewhere in between.

Were Eric65 British, or some other nationality he would come across entirely different, but just as impassioned and enthusiastic about his journey in High-Fidelity.

If you have trolled these forums as much as I have, you will have run across a plenitude of posters both experienced and newbies who are star-struck over their equipment (or even pending purchases).

Look up Mike Mercer as an example.

In summing up, Eric65 may be overboard in his enthusiasm in your eyes, but a shill he is not, as far as I am able to determine.

If he were salivating about a pending arrival of a Headamp BHSE, would you still be as antagonistic toward him?

That being said, Eric65 is a medical doctor, and not an electrical engineer or someone proficient in electrical/electronic disciplines as kevin gilmore is at pains to point out and point to oopsies inEric65's posts.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 222
You're right Wink,

I am a medical doctor and my hobbies are headphones and cycling (and astronomy).

I'm not more talented than you electronic, and if Dr. Gilmore wants to correct my mistakes calculations on electronic, it is welcome.

Otherwise, I only defend an innovative concept, and am excited for these new products. Nothing wrong with this, I hope
wink.gif

Eric

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 222
Otherwise, I only defend an innovative concept, and am excited for these new products. Nothing wrong with this, I hope :wink: .

Eric

When I first got the BHSE, I too got overly excited and wrote quite a bit on how impressed I was ( and still am ) with that stats amp, I also did the same on the other headphone site which resulted in some interesting posts written about me.
When I write about the BHSE now it's usually a reply to others thoughts, rather than repeating myself like I was.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 222
  You're right Wink,

I am a medical doctor and my hobbies are headphones and cycling (and astronomy).

I'm not more talented than you electronic, and if Dr. Gilmore wants to correct my mistakes calculations on electronic, it is welcome.

Otherwise, I only defend an innovative concept, and am excited for these new products. Nothing wrong with this, I hope
wink.gif

Eric

Hello, there is not just the headphones as a hobby in life,

There are also cycling and astronomy ! 
wink.gif

When you are passionate ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 222

Eric65 may come across as a Gallic steamroller, but that's part of French culture.

Sorry but you shouldn't assimilate the french culture and the Eric65's behavior here or there. Thks for all other french people :wink: .

That been said. this Luminare is definitely interesting for anyone who is after an all-in-one amp. it's a shame to see this product discredited due to the excessive behavior of its main defender.

Trust me : I have no interest for this Luminare and not more for Eric65

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #22 of 222

That been said. this Luminare is definitely interesting for anyone who is after an all-in-one amp.

Yes, Sorrodje, the Luminare is a true Swiss Army knife designed and manufactured in Germany, also thought in France, able to operate, with the greatest happiness, the best headphones of the moment, whether Germans (Sennheiser HD-800), Americans (JPS-Abyss and Audeze LCD-3F), Japanese (Stax SR-009) or Chinese (HiFiman HE-6). 

That's why I like (and I chose) this amp for its universality and diversity "multicultural"  in the selection of headphones that can bring us, with different sound aesthetics, enriching and complementary.

Eric

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 222
Seriously I don't trust so much in ultimate all-in-one tools. Such cans as HD800, ,HE-6, SR009 need IMO a lot of work to find the specific gear in order theey can shine at their best. At least, I'm affirmative for the HD800. So, something like a Luminare can be IMO interesting per se but I'd very surprised if this amp would be the ultimate solution to drive everything.

I'd conclude with an other opinion; with a 1000$ budget, I'm OK with compromise. With 4000$, i would prefer to build the best system I can for the headphone I prefer. but that's only me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 222
Hi Sorrodje,

I said "universal", but not "ultimate" about Luminare.

What is interesting with this amplifier for HD-800 is the ability to listen to headphones in both OTL mode (with maximum clarity, definition and spatial sound) and transformer mode (with a softer and more euphonious sound) which may be practical, depending on the quality recording.

For the 009, I speak with more experience, synergy listening, if it is the same as the combo RKV-Verto (and there is no reason to be different) is excellent, much better, in my opinion, that all Stax amp currently in production. For me it is a must in listening pleasure and the performance (exceptional readability of the three registers: bass, mid and treble) ; much better (with the 009 ,and this amp) than that of SR-007.

Otherwise, I discovered the LCD-X for listening with such amplification (or to be exact with my combo). Well, it is really very good to win of course impact power in the bass (but that's not my priority), but mostly to gain in thickness and sensuality in the mid. I expect a lot of LCD-3F (soon) in this register. This is an audible presentation of different and complementary to that of the mid of the 009; we must listen to both, to realize it.

So yes and no: Luminare is a universal amplifier but certainly not ultimate.

The ultimate headphones does not exist, I do not seek the ultimate amplifier for the ultimate headphone but a universal amplifier capable of operating very successfully today's best headphones on the market, for their diversity and richness that they can bring, to even reasonable cost; Here, from my point of view, the current ambition of Luminare.

Eric

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 222
 reasonable cost; Here, from my point of view, the current ambition of Luminare.  

Yup. but I still think that associating "reasonable" and "TOTL headphones" are somewhat...paradoxical.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 222
Good Evening,

Choose your place in concert,

Also choose your headphone.

On the stage, facing the musician: HD-800 (OTL mode) (listens very clear, perhaps bright, very detailed and very spatial)
First row : HD-800 (transformer mode) (listens a little less clear and spatial, compared to OTL mode, but more natural and full)
Fourth row: Stax SR-009 (listens more gentle and natural than previous with less treble and a little more bass, highly readable registers)
In the ten-twelfth row: Audeze LCD-X (or LCD 3f located further back) (listens more full and more carnal than previous, but less clear (more sifted), with more bass and less treble)

Combo RKV-Verto + HD-800 + LCD-X + SR-009
Luminare amp (soon)
LCD-3F (soon)

Eric

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #30 of 222
If you think the HD800s beat the 009s you are not amplifying them correctly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back