AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) and STAX
Dec 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 222

eric65

Headphoneus Supremus

AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) / STAX

A OTL tube amplifier + low step-up (and step-down) ratio transformer.

Three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) and STAX

Some comments on a other thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone/195

and http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/verto-et-luminare-des-produits-audiovalve-atypiques-t30052030-405.html (in french)

Some images (circuits, inside and outside of Luminare prototype amp) pending the final and official version of the amplifier) :

first prototype (incomplete)

First vesion (incomplete)

PCB

Second version incomplete (lacks the definitive cover)

Plane of the cover (black ; plexiglas ? 8 mm thick)

Announced availability (mid December 2014); advertised price: 3000 Euros
(NB: I ordered this amplifier)

Link builder : http://www.audiovalve.info/to/luminare.php

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 222
Hello,

My Luminare amp (that I just ordered) should look like the picture above, but normally in the version Black and Silver (instead of black and gold).

It will operate with three headphones (depending on the use of the amplifier mode):
- Sennheiser HD-600 (OTL mode) (for home theater use) (more relax in port, especially with glasses)
- Stax SR-009 (Stax mode) (synergy is excellent with RKV2-Verto Combo; it could be even better with the Luminare (better tubes (original Siemens) and best OPA (134))
- Audeze LCD-X (Low Impedance mode and OTL mode) (I'll test soon, as well as HD-800) (loan by Pierre) probably before ordering the LCD-X if the excelent reputation of this headphone is well confirmed.

To be continued

Eric

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 222
Hello,

Here is something to listen for fun, pending delivery of the headphone amplifier Universal Luminare :

Combo AudioValve RKV mk2 + Verto
High-end dac+drive Audiomat : dac Maestro Reference with D1 Drive
from left to right:
Sennheiser HD-800
Audeze LCD-X
Stax SR-009
Sennheiser HD-600

(all connected to the same amplifier (combo RKV-Verto) (for the photo)

PS: Thank you Pierre for the loan of the LCD-X and HD-800

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 222
Hello,

I have listen in good conditions the LCD-X (22 Ohms) and HD-800 (360 Ohms) (lent by Pierre) and my SR-009 on the combo RKV2-Verto.

Very interresting comparison led me to the following conclusions:

1- keep the SR-009, which is my favorite headphones with its versatility and extreme clarity of 3 registers (bass, mid and treble) as well as the further refinement of its tone (timbre), both very soft and natural.

2- buy the HD-800 used by Pierre, because it remains a must for electrodynamic headphones high-end, and that pleases me a lot for the following reasons : his royal comfort (Note: it advantageously replace my HD-600 for listening to my Home Cinema system), for its grand and ultra-precise sound stage (better than any other headphones I know) for its definition and neutral (equal see better than that SR-009); I expect the greatest good of this headphone HD-800 on a large symphony orchestra very well recorded  ; I would use my Luminare amplifier, either OTL mode (more accurate) or on transformer mode (more euphonious) according to the recording quality and the treble.

3- buy the LCD-3F (and not the LCD-X).

Why choose LCD-3F ? because its impedance (110 ohms) seems more appropriate than the 20 Ohms of the LCD-X for use with a tube amp mode OTL as RKV or Luminare;  Furthermore, the sensitivity (in dB / Vrms) is lower (from 6 to 10 dB depending on the source of measurement),which reduces, with the same factor, the potential problem of breath in the silence of a very high sensitivity headphone with low impedance (as the LCD-X) on a tube amp, in OTL mode (without transformers).
Finally, my "love" for Nolwenn Leroy (French female folk singer) will cost me a fortune in headphones, because with the current quality recording of his latest CD (very passable), the LCD-X (and I also presume the LCD-3F) beautify his voice with a sensual side that makes me crack.

Otherwise, my decision to choose finally these three headphones (SR-009; HD-800 and LCD-3F) for listening with Luminare also comes from 3 following journals Anglo-Saxon (read and reread) (Note: I did not choose the Abyss for two reasons: its price and the lack of height adjustment of the headband) :

a- http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
(Nb: to complete the ranking David Mahler, I would add that the LCD-3F is an improved version of the LCD-3 that he tested, and that if he could listen to the Abyss, my intuition told me that would have put him tied for first with the Sennheiser Orpheus system, the second (or third) of this ranking is SR-009)

b- http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

c- http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3

Eric

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 222
And if the best headphone in the world did not exist, or then it's required to own several?

For a single headphone, the best versatile candidates are the JPS Abyss, the Stax SR-009 and Omega, see the SR-007mK1, but all these headphones are not perfect: the Omega lacking bass; SR-009 is sometimes shiny or missing body; SR-007 would lack presence in the upper midrange, and its upper treble would be sparkling ; Abyss would also be perfectible in the upper midrange and treble, etc..

Depending on the recording quality and the type of work music listened (small ensembles, large ensembles, music "classic" or "modern") individual defects could resurface or otherwise be masked or attenuated.

Remains the ability to have multiple headphones, each with their strengths and weaknesses which, if they are well operated according to the type of music played, the quality of the recording, and his own taste of the moment, would provide the perfect listening condition of the moment, almost impossible to achieve with a single headphone for all moments.

Tyll Hertsens, with its selection of "wall of fame" headphones and his current top three for the "open headphones" (SR-009; Audeze LCD-3F and HD-800) http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open, may have solved the problem of looking for the ultimate and perfect headphone that could, alone, bring all the qualities that one can look for in a headset. This perfect headphone, does not exist, and probably never exist, but the sum of a number of high-end headphones with each a high and complementary sound quality level would bring it. Remains to be defined and especially find the amplifier that would be used best all this headphones.

Here we enter another problem, that of the perfect amplifier that could use all these headphones (without having to buy one for each headphone, otherwise it may be quite expensive, especially if they must each be perfect for each headphone): the ultimate headphone amplifier, universal, versatile, perfectly capable of driving all these headphones do not exist, and probably never exist, but research is ongoing; some very advanced research seem even be quite promising, but it is, for the moment, confidential; not in word out ... 
wink.gif

(Note: I ordered the LCD-3F and amplifier Luminare (black and chrome version with  black top) ; I hope to receive for Christmas. Otherwise, I just bought the HD-800 and I already have an SR-009 and a HD-600 ; however, I will not keep the SR-007 mk2.5 ; I give it to my brother with the combo RKV-Verto when receipt Luminare)

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 222
hello,

Here is the latest report of listening of the LCD-X (OTL mode), HD-800 (OTL mode, and mode transformer (LI)) and Stax SR-009 (STAX mode with 1:5.9 step-up transformer) with the combo RKV2-Verto (while waiting for the amplifier Luminare very soon): 
link of this report: http : //www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178362018.html#p178362018 (in French)

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 222
I wonder if this thread will drag on as long as the other one done by eric65.

IMO there's probably some good from both the threads he started though, which is for those that suffer with insomnia, all they have to do is read some of his posts and they'll soon drop off.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 222
Hi Cucera, David1961 and Britneedadvice, you are cordially invited to participate on the thread "AudioValve Verto and Luminare", on the french forum HCFR  http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/verto-et-luminare-des-produits-audiovalve-atypiques-t30052030-510.html (currently 515 posts; 35 pages and soon 23,000 consultations on this thread); only reservation, need to speak French on this forum (use your favorite translator)
wink.gif

Eric

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 222
Dude, you selling this stuff? You know you aren't supposed to do that here (muppet).

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 222
Hi Cucera.

Just be patient.
I'm not in the confidence of Mr. Becker on its sales and its orders.
It seems to me that "Enchanted Flute" in Germany ordered a Luminare (like me), while the Luminare is not yet on retail sites in France, and just (recently) in Germany, I think.
Wait a bit for user feedback and formal presentations.
Like everyone, I gleans information where they are (on the Web); just be a little curious and insightful.

Eric

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 222
Agree. This French 'person' is he a buyer, a dealer, a manufacturer or all those things plus an idiot?
Too much desperate selling here. This phishing needs to get banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back