AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) and STAX
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #211 of 222
Hi
A friend of mine is considering an Audiovalve Luminare, for the time being as a tube amp as he doesn't own any electrostats (yet). Can some people chime in who have heard it? Where does it stack up as a tube amp? I own an Icon Audio Mk2 and a Feliks Audio Elise which I don't use any more since my DNA Stratus arrived. How would the Luminare compare to those e.g.?
Most impressions I find are for it as an electrostatic amp... Thanks for your help!

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #212 of 222
Not so much the Luminare, but the Solaris:

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #213 of 222
In June 2016 I changed my Luminare to the Solaris (Mr.Becker made the change easy) and that was a Dream coming true. Since I alternatingly use STAX and some other planarmagnetics (Audeze, Hifiman, Abyss) this was a most practicable solution, the sound beeing full and warm, yet very detailed, soundstage wide with a background black and dead silent.
IMO Audiovalves Solaris should be better known in the USA especially for those needing and universal amp for all different types of headphones.
I did consider BHSE for 009 and had a chance to listen to it with a friend, but no: SOLARIS has a grat Power, and for me (a Swede) it was much better making business within EU, than have waiting time and customs.
And SOLARIS eight tubes glow beautifully through the transparent frontside! You will love them!

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #214 of 222
In June 2016 I changed my Luminare to the Solaris (Mr.Becker made the change easy) and that was a Dream coming true. Since I alternatingly use STAX and some other planarmagnetics (Audeze, Hifiman, Abyss) this was a most practicable solution, the sound beeing full and warm, yet very detailed, soundstage wide with a background black and dead silent.
IMO Audiovalves Solaris should be better known in the USA especially for those needing and universal amp for all different types of headphones.
I did consider BHSE for 009 and had a chance to listen to it with a friend, but no: SOLARIS has a grat Power, and for me (a Swede) it was much better making business within EU, than have waiting time and customs.
And SOLARIS eight tubes glow beautifully through the transparent frontside! You will love them!
Hello!
I am currently hesitant between the Solaris and the Luminare for headphone listening mainly. What would you recomend?
Thanks

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #215 of 222
Hello!
I am currently hesitant between the Solaris and the Luminare for headphone listening mainly. What would you recomend?
Thanks
Hi. You should know that there many versions of the Luminare, i think 3 now, and 2 (or 3) of the Solaris.

I heard the 2015 version of the Luminare and the newest, the 2020 Version, of the Solaris. The difference was big but not because of the difference Luminare - Solaris but because of the 2015 vs 2020 version. To get a proper comparison you need someone who heard the 2020 Version of the Solaris and the 2020 Version of the Luminare. In comparison to the earlier versions and especially the 2015 Luminare version they got improvements like -dB gain for sensitive headphones, +dB gain for insensitive headphones and a better stax output.

I did never compare the 2020 Solaris with the 2020 Luminare but as far as i know they should sound the same. The Solaris has more power and the ability to drive passive speakers too. If you drive some exotic headphones like Susvara or a AKG K1000 maybe the Solaris can give you a little bit more but i don't know that. I think the Luminare 2020 is the right choice.
But more important than the Solaris or Luminare is that you get the newest version so don't buy it used.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #216 of 222
Hi. You should know that there many versions of the Luminare, i think 3 now, and 2 (or 3) of the Solaris.

I heard the 2015 version of the Luminare and the newest, the 2020 Version, of the Solaris. The difference was big but not because of the difference Luminare - Solaris but because of the 2015 vs 2020 version. To get a proper comparison you need someone who heard the 2020 Version of the Solaris and the 2020 Version of the Luminare. In comparison to the earlier versions and especially the 2015 Luminare version they got improvements like -dB gain for sensitive headphones, +dB gain for insensitive headphones and a better stax output.

I did never compare the 2020 Solaris with the 2020 Luminare but as far as i know they should sound the same. The Solaris has more power and the ability to drive passive speakers too. If you drive some exotic headphones like Susvara or a AKG K1000 maybe the Solaris can give you a little bit more but i don't know that. I think the Luminare 2020 is the right choice.
But more important than the Solaris or Luminare is that you get the newest version so don't buy it used.
Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. Finally I have gone for the Solaris due to its capability to drive also speakers. Best regards.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #219 of 222
Dec 2, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #220 of 222
Hi, can anyone can tell the PCL805 can work with this amp? I currently using ECL805 and there have some hiss and broken noice in the past few week, since this ECL805 already 3 years old and running about 1.5K hours. I got 2 sets of PCL805 with me but after I switch it there are no voice ! Nothing happen ! Do I need to adjust something ? or I need to stick with ECL805 ? Thanks for any advise..!

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #222 of 222
Hallo Another Audiophile .

This is Version Luminare 2016
100-2000 Ohm Headphones in OTL Mode .

Best Greetings , NOMOS

4251BBF1-321A-487E-B814-8B5EB9C16275.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back