AUDIOVALVE LUMINARE: an Universal Headphone Amp with three operating modes: Low Impedance / High Impedance (OTL) and STAX
Feb 19, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #166 of 222
  Yes... just because I can.
In reality, it was only for comparison purposes for some at a meet in Sydney who wanted to hear the differences between them.

Well, I understand.

Too bad for the mutation X; if you had been, you could participate in the X-Men saga with my favorite actress, Jennifer Lawrence (X-Men, Hunger Games ...)

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #167 of 222

For dynamic headphones, I have a balanced 80W/channel class A amp that can drive my 2 AKG K1000's and my HE6 at the same time with no problem.

An amplifier like this designed for speakers would have absolutely no trouble driving 2 x k1000 @ 120 ohms each, and 1 x he6 @ 50 ohms all at the
same time. In fact the combined impedance of about 27 ohms is still high compared to the 8 or 4 ohm load a speaker would have.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #169 of 222
If I understand your reasoning, Dr. Gilmore, the Luminare amp in Low Impedance Mode (specifications: 3 Watts 3 Ohms (1% THD)) can drive without problems simultaneously, in parallel, either: 16 HE-6 (50 ohms / 16) or 400 Prototype Z (1200 ohms / 400)?

I propose to rename the Luminare  Amp "super Luminare" , to reserve in priority for super listeners able to listen simultaneously to this impressive amount of set of headphones, although deemed to be difficult to drive. Super listeners having super mutant hearing (X gene mutation mandatory) (homo sapiens sapiens unaffected; Neanderthals as well ...
wink.gif
)

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #170 of 222
  If I understand your reasoning, Dr. Gilmore, the Luminare amp in Low Impedance Mode (specifications: 3 Watts 3 Ohms (1% THD)) can drive without problems simultaneously, in parallel, either: 16 HE-6 (50 ohms / 16) or 400 Prototype Z (1200 ohms / 400)?

I propose to rename the Luminare  Amp "super Luminare" , to reserve in priority for super listeners able to listen simultaneously to this impressive amount of set of headphones, although deemed to be difficult to drive. Super listeners having super mutant hearing (X gene mutation mandatory) (homo sapiens sapiens unaffected; Neanderthals as well ...
wink.gif
)

Don't know how you calculate, but each he6 needs 4 to 5 watts. So say a minimum of 64 watts of power.

That's not going to happen on luminare

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #171 of 222
OK: 16 HE-6 is a little excessive for the Luminare amp (mode Low Impedance).

HE-6 (50 Ohms) sensitivity : 83,5 dB / 1 mW

With 16 HE-6 (in parallel), the resulting impedance is 3 Ohms and the power by each HE-6 is 3000 mW / 16 = 188 mW (max sound level = 106 dB SPL)

But with 4 HE-6 (in parallel), the resulting impedance is 12,5 Ohms and the power by each HE-6  is at least 3000 mW / 4 = 750 mW (max sound level = 112 dB SPL) (it's better)

With only 2 HE-6 (in parallel), the resulting impedance is 25 Ohms and the power by each HE-6  is probably 4000 mW / 2 = 2000 mW (max sound level = 116,5 dB SPL) (it's much better)

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #175 of 222
Agree, not sure why all the criticism against this amp. Live and let live, or come with relevant comparisons imo.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #176 of 222
  Agree, not sure why all the criticism against this amp. Live and let live, or come with relevant comparisons imo.

It's pretty simple I guess.... someone is promoting this amp like it's the best invention like sliced bread. A "can do it all" but a compromise. And maybe due to translation issues and misunderstandings there are a few technically questionable statements where more knowledgable experts have some fun to weigh in 
biggrin.gif

If you have something dedicated for one purpose it will always be a notch better. If compromise is good enough then so be it for the happy user.
A non-audiphile but no less delicious example:
Sure I can take apart a pork shoulder with a regular sharp kitchen knife but doing it with a Japanese deboning knife makes it an enjoyable experience instead of work.

Keeping this thread going like he is getting paid for it 
rolleyes.gif
... if there are fora in Europe praising the amp, then great go there and be happy. Just persistantly beating the drum for this amp here on head-fi with not another single user joining with positive experience ... consequently people are getting a little annoyed, no surprise from my point of view
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #177 of 222
Icebear ...waiting patiently for a GS-X MkII ...

You follow here the wrong thread!

If it bothers you, there is always time to change...

Have you ever listened to a Luminare?

Do you intend to buy one?

Do you need informations about this amplifier?

None of that!

Let people interested to comment on this thread, if possible without preconceived ideas.

Eric

PS: Others than me have also an good opinion on this amplifier, obviously they are very happy with it.
For example: link http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showpost.php?p=180972&postcount=78

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #178 of 222
If icebear doesn't like this thread he can always put it on his ignore list.

Quote:eric65
 PS: Others than me have also an good opinion on this amplifier, obviously they are very happy with it.
For example: link http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showpost.php?p=180972&postcount=78

This could be good or bad.

There are thousands of people who think that the early Beats were the BEST.

Opinions are just that....   opinions.....  and we ALL have them.

It's just that some are closer to the truth than others.

My opinions are mine, and I am very happy with them until I find that they're not quite right.

Then it's time to do research and make an adjustment where necessary.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #179 of 222
I appreciate you, Wink "the wise";  Wink "the curious" ;Wink "non humorless" 

Let's be patient and await the first returns of the two-day official presentation of theLuminare amp (with M. Becker) (Days 20 and 21 March) ; expected reports, on the German forum http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=8134&page=8

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back