Audiotrak ESI Dr. DAC Prime
Apr 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered changing the opamps? IIRC, they are in sockets.
My guess would be they are generic low cost opamps to keep the price down. Change them out with some high end units and you will probably get a boost in sound quality.

It uses LME49860NA, how are they supposed to be? I'm not much into all that opamp stuff
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 32
They are not too bad actually. Fairly new and there is good feedback about them.
Just syaing it may be a place to look at if you want to upgrade the DAC. Is there any information online about changing them?

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 32
I'm also interested in this unit. The opamp in it is LME49860NA, not really generic and cheap one IMO. I don't know if you can use bigger opamp converter board though, look at the board design here . javs overture or esi prime are the same thing.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #19 of 32
I got my Javs DAC-2 March, it's a similar construction to ESI Dr Dac Prime (same Korean manufacturer) and it sounds pretty nice. Bright, warm and accurate sound after 24 hours of burning in (hope it gets better further on), sometimes the bass seems articulated too much (bassy DT 770PRO?). Good dynamics. At the begining it sounded more harsh and flat probably.
Still have trouble with the 192 kHz performance. I have it connected to my PC through coaxial output in my ESI Waveterminal 192M PCI - 1 meter Klotz AC110 cable and Nakamichi plugs. Up to 176 kHz it's ok, at 192 the DAC displays "No Signal". My ESI Waveterminal DAC plays 192 with no problem. Any had a similar problem with Dac Prime?

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 32
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Just a couple of quick questions...

1. How well does the integrated amp perform? Will it synergize well with, say for example, a Sennheiser HD600?

2. In terms of sonic signature, I understand that it tends to be on the bright side of things and with emphasis on low-level/micro details, microdynamics and transients while still maintaining a deep extension on the bass end. But how does it in general for overall pace and attack? Again using the HD600 as an example, how would it respond, bass slam wise? Also, what kind of a soundstage can we expect from such a combo?

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 32
1.  The amplifer in the unit is pretty powerful.  You might want to use an external amplifer for higher end sets for cans just on principle:wink:

2.  The units has replacable opamps so the signature is somewhat tunable.
If you grab it and test it, you can always return the unit if you do not like it.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 32
Hi Rob,

I believe I have read somewhere that the op-amps are socketable. The issue now would be where can I find these said op-amps (apart from the obvious marketplace, but I'm not sure how large the UK userbase is in HF)?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 32

leeperry said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

AudioTrak is not owned by ESI anymore, Gyrocom bought it from them a few years back...and this german website is grossly overpriced, besides Dr Dac appears to be phased out.

you can get its replacement for much cheaper here, directly from the manufacturer: [NEW] AUDIOTRAK DR.DAC2 DX Digital to Analog Converter - eBay

more infos: AUDIOTRAK Products Pages

Thanks for your explanation! I understand this part, It is just the solution for my problem.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #25 of 32
first, sorry if this is a noob/stupid question ^__^ v

i just bought an ibasso d12 for my laptop and my AKG K702

i originally plan to buy Fiio e9 to increase the power of my ibasso d12 to my K702.

but recently i just found this ESI Dr. DAC Prime and Dr. DAC2 DXin a Hifi store nearby

[size=10pt]Since I never saw this product before, I don’t know how good it is…[/size]

[size=10pt]So I just need a quick input, should I get this DAC prime or not?[/size]

[size=10pt]And which one is better between DAC Prime and DAC2 DX anyway?[/size]

i need to know this quickly so i still can refund my Ibasso D12.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #26 of 32
first, sorry if this is a noob/stupid question ^__^ v

i just bought an ibasso d12 for my laptop and my AKG K702

i originally plan to buy Fiio e9 to increase the power of my ibasso d12 to my K702.

but recently i just found this ESI Dr. DAC Prime and Dr. DAC2 DXin a Hifi store nearby

[size=10pt]Since I never saw this product before, I don’t know how good it is…[/size]

[size=10pt]So I just need a quick input, should I get this DAC prime or not?[/size]

[size=10pt]And which one is better between DAC Prime and DAC2 DX anyway?[/size]

i need to know this quickly so i still can refund my Ibasso D12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back