AudioTechnica ES7 Upgrade?
Nov 12, 2010 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dyce

Head-Fier
My ES7s got stolen. I absolutely loved them though. The clamped design on-ear, even if uncomfortable, gave tremendous bass impact in comparison to M50s and my DT770. 

So im looking for something that would be better or similar. On-ear and bassy. I listen to music at pretty loud levels and I love the massage it gives me (or that feeling my heads going to explode)

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 5
you should state your budget, but if budget doesn't matter than the es10 should satisfy your need.  I want the es10 so bad.  I'm on the same quest as you and right now I'm looking at the HD25-1 II, but afraid it's going to fall short in the bass area.  I don't know if i'm ready to stretch my bill to get the es10 yet.  I might even try out the esw9a for fun until I can afford the es10.

Hey I have a question for you, did any of your amp improve your es7 or M50? 

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I'm looking at the HD25-1 II, but afraid it's going to fall short in the bass area.

I have the es7 and have listened to my friend's hd25-1 II a few times. In terms of bass amount they're about the same, but I prefer the sennheiser because its bass is punchier. I also liked the sennheiser more because it has less coloration than the es7.

In response to OP, look into the akg k81djs. They clamp even tighter than the es7 but I didn't find them uncomfortable (some may tell you otherwise), and they are darker sounding than the es7.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
you should state your budget, but if budget doesn't matter than the es10 should satisfy your need.  I want the es10 so bad.  I'm on the same quest as you and right now I'm looking at the HD25-1 II, but afraid it's going to fall short in the bass area.  I don't know if i'm ready to stretch my bill to get the es10 yet.  I might even try out the esw9a for fun until I can afford the es10.

Yes, the ES10, i also have been looking at them too. But I still need to justify spending $400 on a pair of headphones.
The ES7 sounded great unamped through a sansa with the EQ up on the bass. Even the FiiO E3 (found for 6-8 dollars) made the bass even punchier (on top of EQ, and it didn't even distort). The Pa2v2 sounded similar to the E3. Pa2v2 can be had for $60. I also have the ibasso PB1 which is around 250 shipped. I originally bought it for my DT770, but it distorts it (maybe not if i make a balanced cable for it.) But i gave it a try on the ES7 and HOLY crap, the bass was amazing! Though I wouldnt recommend it because I'm pretty deaf. If you are deaf like me, go with the PB1 but I would skip the pa2v2 and get the FiiO E3. 

I only tried my M50s with the PA2v2, i didn't enjoy them that much. But my friend had a mini3 which made it a little better (little bit of thumpy bass). 
I should have known that over ear like the m50s and DT770 just cant compare to the on-ear of es7 for bass impact.

I bought the AudioTechnica FC-700A (check slickdeals.net) and they sound pretty similar to the ES7 and very nice with the PB1. But i feel the es7 having less ohms (32vs40) was able to be as bass impactful with the FiiO E3 than my FC700a with the pb1 amp. But for 25bucks, not bad.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking at the HD25-1 II, but afraid it's going to fall short in the bass area.

I have the es7 and have listened to my friend's hd25-1 II a few times. In terms of bass amount they're about the same, but I prefer the sennheiser because its bass is punchier. I also liked the sennheiser more because it has less coloration than the es7.

In response to OP, look into the akg k81djs. They clamp even tighter than the es7 but I didn't find them uncomfortable (some may tell you otherwise), and they are darker sounding than the es7.

Thanks ill consider them.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 5
thanks dyce I might look into the fiio E3.  I like the speed of the es7 bass, but I still want it to pack a little harder punch.  The quantity is also fine with them.  I also find that the ES7 can sometime lack refinement.  All and all, the ES10 is suppose to resolve all of that, but just like you $400 is a lot of money without being able to hear it or return it if I don't like.  Really I think I just need an amp and the mini3 and fiio E7 has been on my to do list, but fund is always a problem with this hobby.  I've also been considering buying a better source like a cowon S9 for it's EQ capability.  I heard it's bass boost option are pretty cool.  ah, the decisions.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the ES10, i also have been looking at them too. But I still need to justify spending $400 on a pair of headphones.
The ES7 sounded great unamped through a sansa with the EQ up on the bass. Even the FiiO E3 (found for 6-8 dollars) made the bass even punchier (on top of EQ, and it didn't even distort). The Pa2v2 sounded similar to the E3. Pa2v2 can be had for $60. I also have the ibasso PB1 which is around 250 shipped. I originally bought it for my DT770, but it distorts it (maybe not if i make a balanced cable for it.) But i gave it a try on the ES7 and HOLY crap, the bass was amazing! Though I wouldnt recommend it because I'm pretty deaf. If you are deaf like me, go with the PB1 but I would skip the pa2v2 and get the FiiO E3. 

I only tried my M50s with the PA2v2, i didn't enjoy them that much. But my friend had a mini3 which made it a little better (little bit of thumpy bass). 
I should have known that over ear like the m50s and DT770 just cant compare to the on-ear of es7 for bass impact.

I bought the AudioTechnica FC-700A (check slickdeals.net) and they sound pretty similar to the ES7 and very nice with the PB1. But i feel the es7 having less ohms (32vs40) was able to be as bass impactful with the FiiO E3 than my FC700a with the pb1 amp. But for 25bucks, not bad.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks ill consider them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back