AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,162 of 5,890
Or ever as Apple doesn't care about making wired audio better ...they may figure how to make wireless better at some point tho.. :L3000::L3000:

Also the sensitivity of these IEM is low which makes it harder to drive. They need some power. The better the DAC / Amp the better they sound.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,163 of 5,890
thanks for your suggestion, but that too big for me not convenient for me to go out.

I hear ya, if I had the extra cash to spare I would go with a M11 Pro when they are out. No doubt.

I gotta keep my audio hobby in some what check money wise. But I usually always go for the thing that works with some inconvenience vs having it all at a higher cost. I like a lot of different hobbies so I can't afford to go all in for all of them.... Hahah.

But m11 of a very nice device

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,164 of 5,890
So I guess this IEM can't be driven by an iPhone then.. you're welcome
They're so sensitive that even changing cables you will notice some little changes in sound; i didn't believe that changing the silver one for the copper would tame down the treble, but experiencing it first hand has surprised me and it really did the work.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,165 of 5,890
They're so sensitive that even changing cables you will notice some little changes in sound; i didn't believe that changing the silver one for the copper would tame down the treble, but experiencing it first hand has surprised me and it really did the work.

And some people say cables make no difference right? Cough*

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #2,166 of 5,890
And that improved bass?

Not improved (as in quality), but increased (as in quantity).

Vent tuning is a very basic component of headphone/earphone tuning methodology.

It’s also why the T800 has a bass vent. Vented drivers (whether dynamic, BA, or otherwise), need vents to breathe :)

Be aware that adding a bass vent on the T180 doesn’t add a ton of low end, but rather only a few dB. It’s a small bodied BA driver, so it’s not capable of moving much air. The bass driver on the T800 is much, much larger (which is why the T800 has such a strong low end).

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,167 of 5,890
Not improved (as in quality), but increased (as in quantity).

Vent tuning is a very basic component of headphone/earphone tuning methodology.

It’s also why the T800 has a bass vent. Vented drivers (whether dynamic, BA, or otherwise), need vents to breathe :)

Be aware that adding a bass vent on the T180 doesn’t add a ton of low end, but rather only a few dB. It’s a small bodied BA driver, so it’s not capable of moving much air. The bass driver on the T800 is much, much larger (which is why the T800 has such a strong low end).

Great info! Out of curiosity, as bass tuning with vents goes size matters as does depth and location of the hole. Too much and the driver runs free no effect and too little has no effect at all or the wrong frequency gets effected.

Porting hole size; what you use as a reference to match the hole size? Or did you just start with a pin hole and test the frequency response and go larger and larger?

As for depth, I guess one may taper the hole for thickness to effect the tuning frequency? Any frequency graph on the difference and at what approximate frequency the change is occurring at?

I also wonder if different locations of the hole would effect more or less as the air inside the shell should also effect the tuning and frequency.

This is likely too much to test or do as a consumer but it is food for thought, and a good project for AudioSense.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #2,168 of 5,890
Here’s a photo of the vent:

You can click and zoom in on the photo to see it better. The vent is extremely small, and it is not noticeable while wearing the IEM.

As far as size, I used a 2.0mm carbide micro drill bit to make the vent hole.

I have sets of them specifically to do IEM modding. The kits I use have micro bits in very small sub-millimeter increments, ranging in size from 0.3mm all the way up to 3mm.

The bits are very precise, because when you’re modding IEMs (such as adding vents), the impact on sound tuning between a 0.4mm vs a 0.5mm is huge. That’s why it’s very important to have numerous graduated sizes.

I secure the drill bits into a pin vice, and twist the drill by hand. This gives me incredible control over the process. The drill bits I use cut through shells like butter, simply by turning the pin vice with your fingers (even metal shells). Its as simple as holding a pen. I’ve never once damaged a driver or messed up an IEM shell when using the pin vice.

Good quality and sharp drill bits drive chips and drill debris outwards away from the hole you are cutting. So it has never really been a problem for me. Another trick you can use is to use gravity to your advantage, by holding the IEM and drill bit up instead of down. Then gravity will do the rest for you, causing any debris to naturally fall onto your work surface (away from the IEM).
Can you provide a link for your bit and hand drill setup?

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,170 of 5,890
Can you provide a link for your bit and hand drill setup?

If you search Aliexpress for ‘pin vice’, you’ll find the pin vice. Too many sellers to list just 1. They run a few bucks.

For the bits, search Aliexpress for ‘xcan drill bit set’ and you’ll find loads of them. They’re only a few dollars per set as well.

There’s many different drill bit size ranges available, so you would just select the most appropriate set for your desired task. I usually buy the 10-piece graduated assortment kits. But there are a few sizes that I use more of, so I’ve also ordered kits where all 10 bits are that size. Just order based on your needs and preferences :)

Be aware that, like any drill bit, they can and do break. Especially the really small sizes (<1mm) that are barely thicker than a human hair.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,171 of 5,890
The more I listen with the JVC Spiral dots, the more I like them. With stock eartips. I defs am hearing and feeling more low end. But separation of instruments to me, takes a hit. It's still very good, but the low end seems to blur out air that instruments need. The JVC spiral dots fix that, by giving more air, more instrument separation and a slightly bigger soundstage, height is more improved than width of the stage. The treble is actually much smoother, but I don't feel like there is roll off, just tamed but actually I think I may be hearing a bit more treble detail. The mids seem more upfront due to the treble and lows going down a bit, so it's sounding slightly more U shaped. But now what the JVC give is air and more space for all frequencies to breathe. It's still very coherent, but lows I actually can focus on separately and same with mids and treble. This gives me now the actual chance to really pick out nuances and micro detail that I havent heard. At first I thought stock had slightly more clarity and detail but that was due to everything sounding upfront. Trying a copper cable with the T800 and JVC gave the low end a boost but it felt to dark. The ISN S16 is probably the smoothest SPC cable I have heard to date while still retaining clarity, resolution and great low end, but keeping everything nicely balanced. I still am open to trying new eartips, but from experience, the T800 are extremely source, tip, cable and fit dependent. On some sources, my Oriveti New Primacy and Xelento felt like they had slightly more detail in the mids while the T800 was a booming mess. On some other sources I had tried, the T800 outclassed and blew the ONP and Xelento out of the water, no competition at all. Testing the same eartips on all 3, the JVC Spiral dots sound the best with the T800 while the stock eartips of the T800 actually sound best on the ONP and the eartips of the Xelento, well they fit best on Xelento haha. But what I am trying to say is that with the T800, it is best to know your source and have eartips at hand. Many of us have first judged the T800 and ended up not liking them, found treble to harsh, found lows lacking or just way too much. But after a few changes, here we are loving them and some that found treble harsh and used a copper cable have gone back to SPC and love the T800 even better. I for one, have found my end game, the T800 have honestly blew my mind with how good they are. Yeah I would like if mids could be slightly more forward, but I am happy and the clarity and detail has impressed me a huge huge hugeeee lot. But I would simply not spend $1500 Aud or more just for a 5% or 2% improvement. Re listening and doing some further testing has proved to me how special the T800 is but how bloody effing picky it is. It's even so bloody picky that if you push the eartips to far on the nozzle it will effect how they sound drastically. Someone on the comments has posted of cutting a small lip of a eartip stem and adding it to the T800 nozzle. Kudos to you mate cos it works like a charm. But yes, the T800 can be a pain in the butt and we are sometimes left wanting more from it, or less.... But with the right source, eartips, cable and fit. It's a effing heavenly amazing IEM.
But I mean it, so bloody picky about the source. You'd expect a thousand dollar DAC/AMP would do the trick right?
Chord Hugo yeah? No no no, I did not like how it sounded at all, with other IEMS and heaphones it's amazing but with the T800, I did not like it. The lows were just to much for my liking, it muddied the lows to my ears. Yes detail and clarity, mids and treble were wow. But the lows were for the first time bleeding into the mids and at times, it was just a no no. So please be prepared if you do decide to purchase the T800. It is a bit of a risk take, but my oh my. It's a freaking gem of an iem once all goes right.

Audiosense T800
Source: Samsung Galaxy S9, Poweramp paired with Tempotec Sonata IDSD Plus

Eartips: JVC Spiral dots ML

Cable: ISN Audio S16

Pros:
High end performance for a amazing price, 300USD.
Detail, detail, detail.
Punchy, deep low end.
Great extension on both ends.
Great mids. Clarity.
Great Treble, heaps of detail and extension.
Soundstage width and depth.
Instrument separation.
Nice carry case.
Great fit/build.

Semi Pros/Cons.
Nice stock cables, but can be improved.
Carry case is nice, but it's huge, not protable to put in pocket. More transportable to put in a bag.
Cable can have an effect on tonality.

Cons:
Extremely eartip, fit, source, cable dependent.
Can be treble harsh or low end boomy/bloated with incorrect fit, tips, source, cable.
More source picky than a Etymotic Er4 SR/XR.
Be ready to tip roll or try different sources.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #2,172 of 5,890
The more I listen with the JVC Spiral dots, the more I like them. With stock eartips. I defs am hearing and feeling more low end. But separation of instruments to me, takes a hit. It's still very good, but the low end seems to blur out air that instruments need. The JVC spiral dots fix that, by giving more air, more instrument separation and a slightly bigger soundstage, height is more improved than width of the stage. The treble is actually much smoother, but I don't feel like there is roll off, just tamed but actually I think I may be hearing a bit more treble detail. The mids seem more upfront due to the treble and lows going down a bit, so it's sounding slightly more U shaped. But now what the JVC give is air and more space for all frequencies to breathe. It's still very coherent, but lows I actually can focus on separately and same with mids and treble. This gives me now the actual chance to really pick out nuances and micro detail that I havent heard. At first I thought stock had slightly more clarity and detail but that was due to everything sounding upfront. Trying a copper cable with the T800 and JVC gave the low end a boost but it felt to dark. The ISN S16 is probably the smoothest SPC cable I have heard to date while still retaining clarity, resolution and great low end, but keeping everything nicely balanced. I still am open to trying new eartips, but from experience, the T800 are extremely source, tip, cable and fit dependent. On some sources, my Oriveti New Primacy and Xelento felt like they had slightly more detail in the mids while the T800 was a booming mess. On some other sources I had tried, the T800 outclassed and blew the ONP and Xelento out of the water, no competition at all. Testing the same eartips on all 3, the JVC Spiral dots sound the best with the T800 while the stock eartips of the T800 actually sound best on the ONP and the eartips of the Xelento, well they fit best on Xelento haha. But what I am trying to say is that with the T800, it is best to know your source and have eartips at hand. Many of us have first judged the T800 and ended up not liking them, found treble to harsh, found lows lacking or just way too much. But after a few changes, here we are loving them and some that found treble harsh and used a copper cable have gone back to SPC and love the T800 even better. I for one, have found my end game, the T800 have honestly blew my mind with how good they are. Yeah I would like if mids could be slightly more forward, but I am happy and the clarity and detail has impressed me a huge huge hugeeee lot. But I would simply not spend $1500 Aud or more just for a 5% or 2% improvement. Re listening and doing some further testing has proved to me how special the T800 is but how bloody effing picky it is. It's even so bloody picky that if you push the eartips to far on the nozzle it will effect how they sound drastically. Someone on the comments has posted of cutting a small lip of a eartip stem and adding it to the T800 nozzle. Kudos to you mate cos it works like a charm. But yes, the T800 can be a pain in the butt and we are sometimes left wanting more from it, or less.... But with the right source, eartips, cable and fit. It's a effing heavenly amazing IEM.
But I mean it, so bloody picky about the source. You'd expect a thousand dollar DAC/AMP would do the trick right?
Chord Hugo yeah? No no no, I did not like how it sounded at all, with other IEMS and heaphones it's amazing but with the T800, I did not like it. The lows were just to much for my liking, it muddied the lows to my ears. Yes detail and clarity, mids and treble were wow. But the lows were for the first time bleeding into the mids and at times, it was just a no no. So please be prepared if you do decide to purchase the T800. It is a bit of a risk take, but my oh my. It's a freaking gem of an iem once all goes right.

Audiosense T800
Source: Samsung Galaxy S9, Poweramp paired with Tempotec Sonata IDSD Plus

Eartips: JVC Spiral dots ML

Cable: ISN Audio S16

Pros:
High end performance for a amazing price, 300USD.
Detail, detail, detail.
Punchy, deep low end.
Great extension on both ends.
Great mids. Clarity.
Great Treble, heaps of detail and extension.
Soundstage width and depth.
Instrument separation.
Nice carry case.
Great fit/build.

Semi Pros/Cons.
Nice stock cables, but can be improved.
Carry case is nice, but it's huge, not protable to put in pocket. More transportable to put in a bag.
Cable can have an effect on tonality.

Cons:
Extremely eartip, fit, source, cable dependent.
Can be treble harsh or low end boomy/bloated with incorrect fit, tips, source, cable.
More source picky than a Etymotic Er4 SR/XR.
Be ready to tip roll or try different sources.

How about you chuck your review over here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audiosense-t800.23786/reviews there are currently only three official head-fi user reviews for the t800, so your fourth would really help the community!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,173 of 5,890
So the audiosense AE store sent along some new tips with the copper cable replacement.
Its narrow bore, same size as the silicon tips, but with the same texture and material of the spiral dots, without the dots. Anybody know what this is?
20190920_094146.jpg

They said these are sample tips. So am guessing they will include this in the future as stock tips.

First impressions:
Test track: Lilo by The Japanese House (lots of s's and t's)
Definitely an upgrade for the stock silicon tips. No sibilance unlike the stock silicon tips. More spaciousness and textured trebles compared with spiral dots.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #2,174 of 5,890
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,175 of 5,890
So the audiosense AE store sent along some new tips with the copper cable replacement.
Its narrow bore, same size as the silicon tips, but with the same texture and material of the spiral dots, without the dots. Anybody know what this is?

They said these are sample tips. So am guessing they will include this in the future as stock tips.

First impressions:
Test track: Lilo by The Japanese House (lots of s's and t's)
Definitely an upgrade for the stock silicon tips. No sibilance unlike the stock silicon tips. More spaciousness and textured trebles compared with spiral dots.
I'm curious now, more spaciousness and slightly more treble compared to the Spirals without the harshness. This has my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back