AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,148 of 5,890
I did mine right smack in the center of the polygon symbol in the shell.

The vent can be a number of places on the shell. I chose that spot because:

1. It was easy to center the drill
2. You can’t really see the hole if you do it carefully
3. There’s no chance of the hole being covered up by the eartip or any part of your ear
4. That spot is close to the vent on the BA driver, making it efficient

If you need a photo to visualize it, I can provide one.

Just to ask a noob question, how do u prevent the drilled resin/plastic shell debris from dropping into the iem? Or how do u remove the debris for that matter after drilling?

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #2,150 of 5,890
Has anyone else found JVC Spiral dots drop the lows slightly while making them more punchy? I really like what I am hearing haha. Nice smooth but energetic treble. Mids that shine through and low end that rumbles and punches but it's very nicely controled. SPC sounds great as well. It's a slight U shape sound sig what I hear. : ).

JVC spiral dots characteristic : control mid bass bleed, but adding sub bass by a little bit, and their dots made highs are smoother

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #2,151 of 5,890
JVC spiral dots characteristic : control mid bass bleed, but adding sub bass by a little bit, and their dots made highs are smoother
I had a feeling that is what I was hearing. Maybe doesnt drop the low end, but gives it more control, so overall feels like slightly less. But even with stock I felt there was no bleed but the JVC do feeo mote controled and highs are beautifully smooth with the spiral dots and ISN S16 while still being crystal clear. :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #2,152 of 5,890
It’s not to relieve pressure. You’re thinking of a front vent, usually located by or in the nozzle (which is in front of the driver). If I added a front vent, it would have reduced the low end even more! Although it eliminates driver flex if present. The T180 has no driver flex though, because it’s a BA driver. It’s common to get driver flex on dynamic drivers.

The vent I added is ‘behind’ the driver. It allows vented drivers to ‘breathe’, and increases low end. The T180 uses a vented BA driver (which you can actually see through the transparent shell). However, there is no external bass vent in the shell. That’s why I added one.
If I remember correctly they do have a small hole near the mmcx connector. I was assuming it's breathing hole but I never looked into it.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,154 of 5,890
Hi, I new here, if drive with lg g7, t800 still a good deal? Probably add 1 connector for aux mode.

Thinking buy between t800, fdx 1 and oxygen.
U should get a low tier dap like the shanling m0 or the Hidizs ap80 and then get the T800. With G7 + T800 the difference between that and something like the G7+ moondrop KXXS is not that big. ( I probably explained it bad but others might get what I mean)

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,155 of 5,890
If I remember correctly they do have a small hole near the mmcx connector. I was assuming it's breathing hole but I never looked into it.

Are you thinking of the T800?

I’m taking about the T180.

The T180 had no vent holes that I could find. I carefully looked the entire shells over (twice) using a 10x magnifying glass, and found nothing.

I guess it’s possible I overlooked it though**. The transparent shell with internal geometric design does make it somewhat difficult.

** Update: I’ve carefully looked over every square millimeter of the T180 shell for a 3rd time. I am absolutely, positively, unequivocally, 100% certain that there is no stock vent of any sort.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,156 of 5,890
U should get a low tier dap like the shanling m0 or the Hidizs ap80 and then get the T800. With G7 + T800 the difference between that and something like the G7+ moondrop KXXS is not that big. ( I probably explained it bad but others might get what I mean)
If you have the phone already you can add on like a Fiio Q1 that would be fine and way cheaper than a DAP, and cheap DAPs only play local files. Many more options for playback when adding a DAC to your phone. And about the same size.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #2,157 of 5,890
I know what you mean, but I always use at outside go and back to work, I actually got think about buying fiio M5.
I wonder future will have 1 hifi dap smart watch or nt :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #2,159 of 5,890
Photo would be incredible! What size bit? Did you use a press?

Here’s a photo of the vent:

CA5997FD-EDFC-4C45-BDA6-6642F4AC8A36.jpeg

You can click and zoom in on the photo to see it better. The vent is extremely small, and it is not noticeable while wearing the IEM.

As far as size, I used a 2.0mm carbide micro drill bit to make the vent hole.

I have sets of them specifically to do IEM modding. The kits I use have micro bits in very small sub-millimeter increments, ranging in size from 0.3mm all the way up to 3mm.

The bits are very precise, because when you’re modding IEMs (such as adding vents), the impact on sound tuning between a 0.4mm vs a 0.5mm is huge. That’s why it’s very important to have numerous graduated sizes.

I secure the drill bits into a pin vice, and twist the drill by hand. This gives me incredible control over the process. The drill bits I use cut through shells like butter, simply by turning the pin vice with your fingers (even metal shells). Its as simple as holding a pen. I’ve never once damaged a driver or messed up an IEM shell when using the pin vice.

6FE6ADF0-40C8-4094-8A8D-732CAB8A4B05.jpeg

Just to ask a noob question, how do u prevent the drilled resin/plastic shell debris from dropping into the iem? Or how do u remove the debris for that matter after drilling?

Good quality and sharp drill bits drive chips and drill debris outwards away from the hole you are cutting. So it has never really been a problem for me. Another trick you can use is to use gravity to your advantage, by holding the IEM and drill bit up instead of down. Then gravity will do the rest for you, causing any debris to naturally fall onto your work surface (away from the IEM).

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,160 of 5,890
And that improved bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back