AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #1,606 of 2,528
The Nightowl is an awesome headphone. I have never heard the Nighthawk though. Be aware that the Nightowl has a much longer burn in time than the claimed 150 hours. It is actually much longer than this. It continues to improve and mature until it reaches its final sound at 350-400 hours.
That's ridiculous. I'm not saying you're full of it. I'm saying it's dumb. I have 5 other cans that deserve my attention as well. Only two full months of letting them run overnight while I sleep. I thought they sounded pretty special out of the box. If they improve as much as people say, it should make for a very special headphone.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,607 of 2,528
These are becoming my new favorite headphone. They're warm like my LCD-2C but more dynamic sounding and smoother and cleaner sounding than my Elear. Not saying the others aren't good because they are but the Nightowl has a sound that just fits with me. I always liked my Nighthawk but it was just to dark at times but with the Nightowl you don't have that problem.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,609 of 2,528
Which is better out of the Nighthawk and Owl then? Does the Owl have significantly better bass being closed?

I feel like they both have good bass but the Nightowl while still having plenty of impact it sounds a bit cleaner than the Nighthawk's bass. Audioquest did a great good of taking what was good about the NH and just improving on it with the Nightowl. Everything just sounds better on the Nightowl including the bass.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,611 of 2,528
Hm ok anyone else want to confirm this? Basically the Nightowl is the better headphone out of the 2?

I think there may be more people in the Nighthawk thread who have heard both than there are in this thread. Some will prefer NH, some the NO and I have heard some people say they enjoy both.. each in its own way. I do not think there is one definitive answer to this question.

Is it important to you whether it is open or closed?

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,612 of 2,528
Hm ok anyone else want to confirm this? Basically the Nightowl is the better headphone out of the 2?
NO stands towards standard tonal nature whereas NH retains the uniqueness of the house signature for example smooth but extended highs with strong dynamic impact (possibly the widest dynamic range), and reproducing reflections of sound bouncing back from the music hall, which I really do like and it gets me inside music hall with real sound.
Actually I sold NO and have had 2 NHs.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,613 of 2,528
Which is better out of the Nighthawk and Owl then? Does the Owl have significantly better bass being closed?
Iown and love both. Mids are a bit more forward on owl, meaning that you can raise volume on hawk more to get mids at same level, leqdile to more bass out of hawk due to higher volume

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,614 of 2,528
I to have both and have had the NH for a few years now and to me the Nightowl is clearly the better sounding of the 2. The NH is still a good headphone but that dark veil it has isn't on the Nightowl and the mids aren't so recessed either. The NH does have something special no doubt but I just feel the Nightowl is the cleaner sounding of the 2.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,615 of 2,528
Just picked up the Open Box NightOwls and going through this thread many recommend the Nighthawk Hybrid Pads .. Unfortunately the only source available for these pads are from a shop in NL .... total cost with shipping it to US is prohibitively expensive at $79 for me ... anyone tried any other aftermarket Hybrid Pads on the NightOwls? Thanks!

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,619 of 2,528
I tried the Nighthawk at a meet and was immediately put-off by them. Then again, I tried them right after I auditioned an LCD-4 on a Cavalli Crimson amplifier...

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,620 of 2,528
I tried the Nighthawk at a meet and was immediately put-off by them. Then again, I tried them right after I auditioned an LCD-4 on a Cavalli Crimson amplifier...

When I try or receive a new headphone I try to not listen to anything else that day. I once tried to compare two headphones for someone and the switching back and forth just made both sound wrong... even though I love them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back