AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,501 of 2,529
Received mine from Smits via DPD. Nice, fast delivery. Woke me up at 8:30, as I was trying to get a late wake up for New Year's Eve. But a nice way to be woken up. :)

I will add Smits to my list of audiophile shops to look at during sales. Impressed with the service so far.

That’s wonderful! Happy to see this worked out for you. I’ll probably get mine wednesday or thursday.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,502 of 2,529
Same here, they tried to deliver it today, with my neighbours which weren't at home, don't know why it seems so difficult to read house numbers, I was home all day patiently waiting them to delivered..grrrrr!!!!

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,503 of 2,529
Same here, they tried to deliver it today, with my neighbours which weren't at home, don't know why it seems so difficult to read house numbers, I was home all day patiently waiting them to delivered..grrrrr!!!!

Ai, that’s too bad! You’ll get them soon enough.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,504 of 2,529
Hi @CaptainFantastic

is the new piece also have a slight damages/marks on the the edges ? :)

Will let you know on Thursday when I inspect these and my Nighthawk Carbon. But as I said earlier, my first Nightowl has the marks and so does the Nightowl Liquidwood.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,505 of 2,529
Hi all. On a whim, I just picked these up on sale (+ free AQ dragonfly black). A/B'd them with the Focal Elegia, Senn HD820, and my UERR IEMs, using my A&K SP1000m DAP. Very different tonal signature compared to just about anything else I have listened to but there is something about them that make me feel confident I will enjoy them over the long term.

The instructions say 150 hours of burn in, but frankly I think they sound pretty good out of the box. Can anyone tell me how the SQ changes over the burn in period? Enjoying them quite a bit right now. Listening to Kamasi Washington (Heaven and Earth) right now.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,506 of 2,529
Out of the box, and with the pleather pads, the NightOwl is rather midbass forward. The upper mids, specifically in the 1.5kHz to 3.5kHz region, are somewhat recessed. Across the entire treble frequency range, the Nightowl is extremely smooth sounding, so no brightness or harshness is present. The instructions say they completely burn in after 150 hours, but in my experience, this is not true. The burn in period actually continues until the headphones reach their final sound at around 350-400 hours. I prefer the sound with the ultrasuede pads, as snare drums just don't sound correct to me with the pleather pads, even with EQ. With the ultrasuede pads, the elevated midbass is still there, but only slightly. The treble is also more detailed, but still not bright at all. Either pair of pads will give a very smooth sound, but the ultrasuede, IMO, sounds far more natural. After the headphone is completely burned in you will notice that the elevated midbass bloat will tone itself down somewhat, and upper mids will become more present. The bass will become tighter sounding as well. Be aware that if you decide to reduce the midbass somewhat with EQ, as a result, the treble extension and detail with increase. Reducing the midbass also results in the lower bass tightening itself up.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #1,507 of 2,529
Mine arrived today! :gs1000smile:

Only listened to a couple of songs so far but I'm liking what I'm hearing, what were they thinking with the wire though, my god, it's way too thick and stiff and nocking it transfers way too much sound through to the cans. Any good places for a better cable?

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,508 of 2,529
Congrats! Mine is still in transit, within the Netherlands for over 5 days now.

I bought a balanced cable from ebay, based on the input from this thread https://www.ebay.nl/usr/mavismodz6?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
You can have it terminated with 3.5mm and 6.5mm as well.
Or search for a HD497 cable without microphone, should give you some results around GBP 15.00

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,509 of 2,529
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,510 of 2,529
Mine arrived today! :gs1000smile:

Only listened to a couple of songs so far but I'm liking what I'm hearing, what were they thinking with the wire though, my god, it's way too thick and stiff and nocking it transfers way too much sound through to the cans. Any good places for a better cable?

I use a Venus Audio cable, Periapt, and Dyson on mine, at various times. Each of those companies makes a great cable. The Dyson Gotham Star Quad has the least amount of cable noise, is the most flexible, and is also the cheapest (about $55), so I'd go with that one.

For what it's worth, I noticed an improvement in sound over the stock cable (which I hated too) with any of those alternatives. I'm not a 'cable guy,' but to me switching it out made a big difference. I'd be curious to hear about your results with whatever you go with.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,511 of 2,529
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,512 of 2,529
My balanced cable from mavis mods £32.50 (same price for other plug terminations). Many colors to choose from but of course this one would match the color of the NightOwl. Copied this from p.93 in this thread. It really is a good idea to read the past pages if you can. So much info is already here.

10201598.jpg

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,513 of 2,529
It was you indeed providing me this tip, somewhere in this thread. :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,514 of 2,529
I previously had ordered a balanced cable off of ebay but it was very stiff and the sections going to each side of the headphones were covered in a stiff plastic mesh that made a ton of noise when it rubbed against any piece of clothing, furniture, etc. It instantly drove me nuts. Long story short - definitely look at the pictures.

To replace that frustrating cable, I ordered this one (also from Mavis Mods), in balanced XLR form, and it just got here this evening and I find it perfect for my needs. Very soft and flexible, and sounds great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynam...var=532497933833&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,515 of 2,529
I previously had ordered a balanced cable off of ebay but it was very stiff and the sections going to each side of the headphones were covered in a stiff plastic mesh that made a ton of noise when it rubbed against any piece of clothing, furniture, etc. It instantly drove me nuts. Long story short - definitely look at the pictures.

To replace that frustrating cable, I ordered this one (also from Mavis Mods), in balanced XLR form, and it just got here this evening and I find it perfect for my needs. Very soft and flexible, and sounds great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-T5p-T1-cable-upgrade-Sony-mdr-z7-Focal-Elear-Clear-He4xx-2x3-5mm/232980101435?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=532497933833&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Those look beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back