AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,261 of 2,528
I've seen a few previews/impressions listing the Elegia as neutral. If that's the case, then it's certainly no replacement for the Owl. Of course, people tend to call neutral whatever they happen to like...

Have you heard of any comparisons between the Elegia and the NightOwl?

Afraid not! Closed cans are far better suited for me which is why it'd be the Elear leaving were it to come about, but the Owl is too unique (and awesome) to be missing from my roster.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,262 of 2,528
I've seen a few previews/impressions listing the Elegia as neutral. If that's the case, then it's certainly no replacement for the Owl. Of course, people tend to call neutral whatever they happen to like...

Have you heard of any comparisons between the Elegia and the NightOwl?
Elegia above vs. Nightowl below
They are quite different class.
elegia-3_orig.jpg
night-owl.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,263 of 2,528
It is great to see so many new people deciding to take a flight on the NightOwl. This headphone really gets people soaring. It is one of the best closed back headphones around at the current 400 US price. I am in the minority though with this headphone. I much prefer the sound with the ultrasuede pads, instead of the pleather pads.

Yes the Owl is a really engaging signature. I wish that I hadn't sold mine, but I may reacquire it yet as I sold it to a friend who loves it, but he uses it only sometimes. Very comfortable headphone (don't like the short stock cable mind you).

Anybody else think NightOwl can go toe to toe with Elegia and Elear? I tried NightOwl about a year ago, at Best Buy (admittedly not the best place for a good listen). Had a negative impression, mostly because of how tiny everything sounded. I think my big open planar headphones have spoiled me in this regard.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,264 of 2,528
Anybody else think NightOwl can go toe to toe with Elegia and Elear? I tried NightOwl about a year ago, at Best Buy (admittedly not the best place for a good listen). Had a negative impression, mostly because of how tiny everything sounded. I think my big open planar headphones have spoiled me in this regard.

I've got some big open planars myself (check my profile) and I think the NO sounds remarkably open for a closed-back. More so than the LCD-2F, not that that is much of a bar. Give them another shot.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,265 of 2,528
What was the Nightowl connected to at Best Buy ? I have seen so many people claim that the Nightowl does not need to be connected to good gear to sound like it should. I don't agree with this at all. It is a quality headphone, and as such, it requires good equipment to excel. If I connect it to a phone, or another mediocre dac/amp combo, it is lacking. I have a Creative ZXR sound card that I use as my DAC, and it has the opamps upgraded to the V6 Vivid opamps. As my headphone amp, I have the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp. On this setup, it sounds awesome.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,267 of 2,528
My phones were all planar once, and after I got Fidelio X2 I began to change some of them to dynamic phones.
Especially with NH/NO there are no reason / attraction that hold me on Planar side so that I sold all planars.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,269 of 2,528
My phones were all planar once, and after I got Fidelio X2 I began to change some of them to dynamic phones.
Especially with NH/NO there are no reason / attraction that hold me on Planar side so that I sold all planars.

Oh... I miss my X2s...

It was the NightOwl and the E-MU Teak that convinced me to invest in good non-planars. Just ordered the Auteur and Atticus in fact, the latter of which may be the only thing that can dethrone the Owls. We shall see.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,271 of 2,528
I would give the Nightowl another try. If you get a new one, just make sure you allow it time to mature. It takes about 150 hours for the Nightowl to reach its final sound.
It is good time to get one, because many are ignorant of its real value.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,272 of 2,528
I can easily see why people wouldn't be impressed with the NO. It's really like Skylar and many others have said, you have to give it some time before you start to appreciate (love!) it.
Many other headphones indeed give you that perceived extra level of detail with that raised treble. Which sounds impressive at first, but quickly becomes tiresome.
Apparently there are also people out there who just don't hear a difference. I let my girlfriend A/B the NO with her Bose QC35 and she says she can't hear any difference at all. :open_mouth:
To each his own I guess. She likes surfing.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,274 of 2,528

Haven't heard the Elegia but it is certainly in the playing field of the Elear. To use a bad analogy, imagine a 4k TV with it's sharpness setting on about 50%, this is the Owl. Turn it up to 75% and you have the Elear. Both portray the same image at the same resolution, but things are crisper with the sharpness turned up. Crisper doesn't mean better, though.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,275 of 2,528
Hello fellow NightBirders!

I rarely post, but I wanted to share a strange experience I had recently. (I apologize in advance for the long post.)

A little backstory: I’ve had the original wood NightHawks for a few years now & still love them.

About a year ago, I was in need of closed-back headphones to prevent my NightTime (sorry, lame joke) listening from disturbing the family, so I found a good deal on some NightOwls & purchased a pair, despite not getting to hear them first. I figured since I loved the Hawks, the Owls would be very similar.

Anyway, I received the Owls & burned them in for 150 hours, but was disappointed after my first listening session, not because they sounded bad, just unengaging. I kept using them though, periodically switching pads & trying many different configurations —sources, amps/no amp, cables, etc.; I’m sure you all understand — but never managed to love their sound & decided to sell them.

In the meantime, I noticed that little black specks of suede were coming off of my NightHawk headband every time I moved it, so I ordered a replacement thru AudioQuest. While waiting for the new one to arrive, I decided to give the Owls one more chance.

First, I put the original Hawk hybrid pads on the Owls & felt like they improved the sound a bit, but not enough to make me want to keep them. Later, I looked thru my packaging/accessories & saw the thin cable that originally came with the Hawks, which I had completely forgotten about.

I never really liked the cable, but figured I might as well try it out. I honestly didn’t expect to hear a difference, but let me tell you, the change in sound was jaw-dropping!

Immediately, I noticed a vast improvement in separation; it felt like additional channels had been added — I was perceiving sounds beside & behind my ears, & voices above my head! I could now pinpoint different aspects of a song, even hiss, & easily switch my focus at any given moment! I listened in amazement to a variety of songs/genres, & before I realized how much time had passed, I had made it thru an entire album. “Euphoric” is the only word I can think of to describe the experience.

The next day, I was a little skeptical, so I put on the Owls & the sound was exactly the way I remembered it. I am still in shock!

TL;DR: I finally understand what a lot of you have been raving about. I don’t know what the deal is with my Owl cable, but I’m glad I found the other one. Needless to say, I’m holding onto the Owls.

If you made it to the end of all this rambling, I thank you.

P.S. I was not inebriated :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back