1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Aug 14, 2016.
First

Back
73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
Next

Last
  1. waveSounds
    Can't wait to put 16 watts through my Owl.

[​IMG]

HonkyTonk, trellus, Jearly410 and 2 others like this.
  2. chimney189
    I just received the Nightowl … this is by far the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

HonkyTonk, trellus, Bern2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Joong
    So is the sound

4. Colors
    Welcome!

5. Joong
    Welcome to the dark side, and it is as good as bright side or any other side.
    The night birds can fly more freely in the dark than in the bright.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    mbwilson111 likes this.
  6. Colors
    If anyone would like an IEM recommendation going from the NightOwl, I’d like to recommend the Campfire Audio Orion :) It doesn’t have the same warm smooth signature of the NightOwl (it’s more balanced) but it has the same pleasant tonality to it. Easy fatigue free listening.

7. Dan DRC
    Around the 15 hour mark now for break-in. Still liking these a lot. I added a Micromega MyZic amp this weekend. Not the most well known amp around here but Micromega has been making quality home Hi-Fi components in France for years. I purchased an open box unit on e-Bay for $75. It has an extremely low noise floor, basically non existent. Very minor channel imbalance on the extreme low end of the volume control but does not affect any output in the actual usable range.
    I believe it puts out 1.2 W into 32 Ohm so definitely plenty of power for the NO. It is a noticeable improvement compared to the Meridian Explorer 2 amp section.
    The Explorer 2 sounds good but the MyZic sounds less constrained, just more open and you can sense the extra power reserve in comparison. It's just one more rung on the ladder sound quality wise (maybe two!).
    So with a total investment of $617. NightOwl was $399 (new on Amazon), $130 for the Explorer 2 (used on e-Bay), $75 for the MyZic (used on e-Bay) and $13 for a Ghent Audio Canare cable I think I have a pretty killer musical system for a great price. Thinking I will try the suede pads next and see what happens.

trellus, Colors and mbwilson111 like this.
  8. JerryLeeds
    I just saw a pic of some HD700 pads ... Would these work on the NO or NH?

Since the AudioQuest pads are getting hard to find... Has anyone experiment is using other pads?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  9. DW75
    The HD700 is a completely different headphone. It is much brighter in the mid treble region as well. Those pads will completely change the sound signature of the Nightowl and Nighthawk. I would bet the pads will introduce some sibilance that you won't like.

10. waynes world
    Did you take the photo that is your avatar? Regardless, cool shot!

Every time I put on my Nighthawks, I think I also need the Owls in my life. Such is this addiction lol.

trellus likes this.
  11. lugnut
    I don't know what version of pads you have, however I would strongly suggest you stay with pads made for the NH/NO.
    Audio advisor still sells pads for them, I have all the sets made by audioquest, they all sound a little different. If you like the NH/NO, I would get all the 3 sets.
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQEPCA

12. waveSounds
    Maybe if we display enough interest to the folks at @DekoniAudio they might consider developing some pads for the NightBirds. With AQ out of the headphone game you have to wonder how long the spare pads at retailers will be floating around. It'd be a travesty if 2-3 years down the line we had to stop using the Birds because the pads wore out.

trellus likes this.
  13. mbwilson111
    I have seen foam deteriorate with age even when not used. In that case there would be no point in trying to hoard a lifetime supply. I am hoping that this will not be the case with the materials that they have used.

NightBirds... I like that:)

14. JerryLeeds
    Thanks for the common thoughts on this subject ... I've already sent an email to Dekoni ... Maybe if you guys have some time to kill you can send additional emails ... This might spark them to make replacements

15. waynes world
    I haven't read too far back, so my apologies if this has been stated already, but you can put other pads on the Nighthawks (I assume that this could be done with the Nightowls as well). So I don't think that you would have to stop using them if your pads get worn out.

First

Back
73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
Next

Last