AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #796 of 2,529
I got sidetracked and wrote the wrong thing. I meant the 99 Classics.
You can't really count the Audioquest stuff as prices are crumbling.

Shane D

I have the Neo... it was £229 including tax

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #797 of 2,529
I have the Neo... it was £229 including tax

I had forgotten about that. We just use the name Meze back and forth and I forget about the different models.

Shane D

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #798 of 2,529
Day 2 of discovery

Okay, I just finsished another five hours with the NighOwls. Super impressed! The set up was as follows: Sony NWZ A17, with all effects turned off. All music was new and from iTunes. Power was provided by iFi micro iCAN SE running at 12DB (middle gain setting) and max 3D sound. Xbass was on max for Miles and m inimal for everything else.

First was up was the new album featuring Miles Davis and John Coltrane called the Final Tour: The Bootleg Series, Vol.6. Wow, this is a lot of great music, to the tune of three and a half hours.The trumpet, sax, bass, drums and piano all sounded great. It sounded as crisp and clear as any new album, probably better than a lot of new albums actually. Just amazing.

Next was a new discovery for me, Nubya Garcia from with From When We Are. A sax player from the UK. She is great and she gives her band lots of room. I love this EP and will be buying more from this lady.

Stone Temple Pilots was next. Bit of a shock to the ear and I had to drop bass boost to minimal. Wow, this new album is good. And the new singer will be a great Scott Weiland replacement. The guitars, the drums and the vocals played really great, and the 'phones were a rockin'.

The Beaches will be getting a lot of radioplay this summer. They had me tapping my feet right through. Female vocals sounded more than fine.

I keep stumbling across Bishop Briggs. I don't get the devil horn hair do, but I really like her voice. I just realized I am up to five of her songs now. Her growl sounded great on these 'phones.

Lastly, the new single from Shinedown. I think Grado's are great for rock but these phones were just ripping with this new song (I can't wait for the whole album!).

I could not find a weakness anywhere. I know that I am stil in the "shiny new toy" phase, but these headphones sound great doing anything. The only bad thing I can think of is that they are really flimsy. I would never take these out anywhere, not even to a meet. They have a super clean sound and are therefore a perfect match, as in the polar opposite, of my Grado's. I can see these being a a great 1A and 1B for years depending on your mood. Both were the same price and relatively cheap.

Another thing I should add is yes, they are closed back, but do not expect much isolation at all. But if you are looking for a closed back headpohone that is a great value (at current sale prices), you really should try these out. I can't speak to EDM, Metal, etc. but for rock and jazz...Wow!

Shane D

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #799 of 2,529
@Shane D

I know the NO feel flimsy but they have been one of the most durable headphones I’ve used. The rubber is well made and won’t break. I can be a bit rough with mine and I’m not worried about them breaking. My fostex th-x00 otoh I treat like a newborn.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #800 of 2,529
@Shane D

I know the NO feel flimsy but they have been one of the most durable headphones I’ve used. The rubber is well made and won’t break. I can be a bit rough with mine and I’m not worried about them breaking. My fostex th-x00 otoh I treat like a newborn.

I believe you but I feel nervous just laying them down. They are the first pair I ever had that feel fragile.

Shane D

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #801 of 2,529
It's Official. I got this email today...

"Hello AudioQuest Dealer,
After much thought and discussion, AQ is leaving the headphone category and will stop production of the NightHawk and NightOwl headphones. These have been very popular, and we have sold tens of thousands of pairs, but to fully develop the range would take all our efforts away from our cable business, which is why we are all here in the first place! Therefore, once we have sold out existing stocks we will not be ordering more from the factory.
This will be sad news for many of you, and we are very grateful for all of the effort that you put into making these a global success for AudioQuest. The reviews and dealer acceptance have been fantastic, which only makes the next stage easier for us all: we now have an opportunity for you all to take part in a great sell-out action!"

$399.95 is the new Minimum Advertised Price. Sad to see a unique product that defied convention being eliminated.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #802 of 2,529

After much thought and discussion, AQ is leaving the headphone category and will stop production of the NightHawk and NightOwl headphones. These have been very popular, and we have sold tens of thousands of pairs, but to fully develop the range would take all our efforts away from our cable business, which is why we are all here in the first place! Therefore, once we have sold out existing stocks we will not be ordering more from the factory.
This will be sad news for many of you, and we are very grateful for all of the effort that you put into making these a global success for AudioQuest. The reviews and dealer acceptance have been fantastic, which only makes the next stage easier for us all: we now have an opportunity for you all to take part in a great sell-out action!"

$399.95 is the new Minimum Advertised Price. Sad to see a unique product that defied convention being eliminated.

I'm not surprised, Skyler, the engineer who design their headphones left quite some time ago. In theory they could just keep producing them, or hire a new engineer to develop a new product line but the profit margins likely aren't as high when you factor in R&D in comparison to snake oil... I mean cables. :p

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #803 of 2,529

A sad day indeed.:sob:

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #804 of 2,529
I have both the NH and NO headphones. Compare...picture a sound-stage not necessarily wider but one that is deeper and richer in all its dimensions...a more controlled bass, a slightly more detailed mids and the upper registers sharp without edginess, no smearing on cymbals, vibraphones and similar instruments like the flute, piccolo and strings playing altissimo. Is there much difference...I almost never use the NH anymore as I prefer the overall sound and insulation from outside noises ofthe NO's. I prefer both over my Shure 1840's whose bass leaves much to be desired relative to the NH and NO.
Once again I lack the audiophile lingo so the above is as succinct and clear as I can make it. Pleasurable beyond measure when listening to the NO's. I recommend them without hesitation with one exception...the cable is too damn short. I use the skinny cable from my NH and find it just excellent.
Axtually your direct style is very much appreciated ! Thanks for the comparaison :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #805 of 2,529

That really is too bad. I have been buying and selling headphones for the last year to find a sound I like. These are a keeper for me and I would definitely have explored this line further if it had continued.

Going forward, I would like to move up the Grado chain and I will keep an eye on Meze for new products.

I guess the NO is that one night fling that you can never recreate.
:L3000:

Shane D

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #806 of 2,529
That really is too bad. I have been buying and selling headphones for the last year to find a sound I like. These are a keeper for me and I would definitely have explored this line further if it had continued.

Going forward, I would like to move up the Grado chain and I will keep an eye on Meze for new products.

I guess the NO is that one night fling that you can never recreate.
:L3000:

Shane D
One night fling? Naw, I put a ring on it, and I'm in a committed open relationship with my Nightowl.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #807 of 2,529
One night fling? Naw, I put a ring on it, and I'm in a committed open relationship with my Nightowl.
Fair enough. But I was hoping that, down the road, I might meet some family members that were just as interesting.:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #808 of 2,529
Fair enough. But I was hoping that, down the road, I might meet some family members that were just as interesting.:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Yup. Also, I wonder how this will affect pad availability.

Anyway, wishing that I had a more isolating Nighthawk, and seeing how many people love the Nightowls, I'd love to get them (even more so now that AQ is getting out of the game). But $500CAD plus taxes would be the price, and that gives me pause (although I'm sure the owls would be worth it).

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #809 of 2,529
Yup. Also, I wonder how this will affect pad availability.

Anyway, wishing that I had a more isolating Nighthawk, and seeing how many people love the Nightowls, I'd love to get them (even more so now that AQ is getting out of the game). But $500CAD plus taxes would be the price, and that gives me pause (although I'm sure the owls would be worth it).

I bought mine here in Halifax from Glubes. I got demo's for $349.00. Their sale says $399.00 for new.

Depending where you are in Canada, I can't imagine shipping being more than $30.00.

glubes.ca

Shane D

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #810 of 2,529
I'm not surprised, Skyler, the engineer who design their headphones left quite some time ago. In theory they could just keep producing them, or hire a new engineer to develop a new product line but the profit margins likely aren't as high when you factor in R&D in comparison to snake oil... I mean cables. :p
Because of course, producing cables is a real calling; who cares about headphones, it;s all in the wire man !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back