AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 2,528
Then night hawk were a bit too dark so if the owl has a little extra treble could be perfect!

I don't think the Nighthawk's you had were burned in enough because there is certainly no lack of treble in burned in ones. I would not want more treble. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 2,528

I don't think the Nighthawk's you had were burned in enough because there is certainly no lack of treble in burned in ones. I would not want more treble. 

Yeah i totally agree. A properly burn in NH is capable of showing sibilance when the recording has it. IMO, It has similar treble level as a HD650. But if you like your treble hot, then NH is definitely not for you.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 2,528
The only thing I'm hoping for is deeper more impactful deep bass which it probably will if it's a closed back. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 2,528
I also heard Nightowl out of my Lotoo PAW Gold at RMAF courtesy of SkylarGray's supercool wife. While I personally preferred Nighthawk, Nightowl does have several appealing qualities. It has tighter bass, increased upper mids, crisper treble, and more focused soundstage. The tougher has and crisper treble were totally acceptable to me. The more focused soundstage was an understandable tradeoff. The only sticking point for me was the increased upper mids, but I'm sure I could just EQ those down a bit. Overall another worthy can from Skylar, just not quite as immediately appealing for my preferences as Nighthawk which I ended up purchasing at the show.

And if you all haven't seen it yet, check Skylar's twitter feed :wink:

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #26 of 2,528
For anyone not following the NightHawk impressions thread, some new photos of the NightOwl and updated NightHawk have been published in post #3871, prior to their launch on 1 November. There are also some further information from Skylar Gray in posts on the following two pages.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #29 of 2,528
  Here's our official announcement and press release for NightOwl Carbon and NightHawk Carbon:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/824543/introducting-nightowl-carbon-nighthawk-carbon-next-generation-headphones-from-audioquest

Skylar hello, I'm an electronic and dance music fan. That said, I also listen to other club type music sometimes (such as R&B) and occasional alternative. Which one would be better for these genres in your opinion? Nightowl or Nighthawk Carbon? I admire your decision to stick to an affordable price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back