AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Dec 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #2,026 of 2,529
I was thinking about that as well, but since I own the Hawks as well I think I'm good. The spare protein leather pads of the Hawks I'l keep reserved for the Owls and the spare Microsuede pads of the Owls for the Hawks. And of course I have other pairs of headphones in routine, so if I'm lucky I can keep using the Hawks and Owls for the following 10 years or more.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,027 of 2,529
The more I listen to the dynamic duo, I lean more toward the NO. The NH is really fun, and I often grab them for casual late night listening through my iPad>Dragonfly. But with the at my desktop, the NO just preforms better, and scales better with the higher quality amps I have. They've become my daily driver. Of course that all could change, because I haven't even started exploring higher end dynamics and planars.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2,028 of 2,529
Is SurfCables any good? I really want to get a balanced 4.4mm cable for my NightOwl now that I have two amps that have a 4.4mm output. Reasonably priced $140 5-foot cable from SurfCables seems good to me, but I don't know anything about the brand.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #2,029 of 2,529
The more I listen to the dynamic duo, I lean more toward the NO. The NH is really fun, and I often grab them for casual late night listening through my iPad>Dragonfly. But with the at my desktop, the NO just preforms better, and scales better with the higher quality amps I have. They've become my daily driver. Of course that all could change, because I haven't even started exploring higher end dynamics and planars.

For me it is the other way around, I prefer the Hawks. The Owls seem to be less clean, an ocassional ringing, reverb in the cups that never happens with the Hawks. There's also this weird vacuum pressure on my ears, nothing serious and it only occurs with the protein leather pads, but it can result in ear fatigue.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,030 of 2,529
damn, bought a Nighthawk couple of minutes ago :beyersmile: You guys are bad influence! But 155€... a steal. And with the "old" NH, i also get the Hybrid Pads, which is nice. I'm looking forward to compare them with my Owls!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #2,032 of 2,529
These hybrid pads are a mystery to me, I got my Nighthawk used and didn't get extra pads. :frowning2:

You get them only with the old (wood) Version of the nighthawks. The Nighthawk/owls Carbon come with two pads (pleather + microsuede), but no hybrids :frowning2: So sad that the hybrids can't simply be ordered new as they are out of stock everywhere. In a few years they will be sold on the darknet für 1000 bucks xD

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,033 of 2,529
You get them only with the old (wood) Version of the nighthawks. The Nighthawk/owls Carbon come with two pads (pleather + microsuede), but no hybrids :frowning2:

I have the old Nighthawk (wood), but of course getting it used, one isn't guaranteed to get everything in the original box, so I have no case and no hybrid pads, only pleather pads, and I've wondered often how the hybrid pads change the sound but haven't been able to discern that without them. :sweat_smile:

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #2,034 of 2,529
I have the old Nighthawk (wood), but of course getting it used, one isn't guaranteed to get everything in the original box, so I have no case and no hybrid pads, only pleather pads, and I've wondered often how the hybrid pads change the sound but haven't been able to discern that without them. :sweat_smile:

Are you sure you don't have the hybrids? If the INNER ring is kind of velour, you do own the hybrids. The part on your ear is still pleather. Many people think, that the hybrids are made of velour on the ear's part, but they aren't. If the right/left markers are NOT printed inside the pads, you definitely have the hybrids.

Otherwise, the pre-owner was smart and saved the hybrids / switched them with the new pleathers :cry:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #2,035 of 2,529
Are you sure you don't have the hybrids? If the INNER ring is kind of velour, you do own the hybrids. The part on your ear is still pleather. Many people think, that the hybrids are made of velour on the ear's part, but they aren't. If the right/left markers are NOT printed inside the pads, you definitely have the hybrids.

Otherwise, the pre-owner was smart and saved the hybrids / switched them with the new pleathers :cry:

Ooooooo... I can’t tell, tbh, if these are even stock pads at all lol... but I’m guessing so based on their kind of unique shape but they definitely have no L/R printed on the inside... maybe this explains why I have always scratched my head at the allegations of them being too bassy? Cuz I’ve never heard that on these and maybe it’s cuz I have the hybrids? :joy:

FF91F533-A646-49CD-9EB8-B9BEFE113E01.jpeg C583B156-1FB5-4895-9A7B-8318A0D5CBFA.jpeg

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #2,037 of 2,529
Them's the hybrids. They wear out rather fast. The inside that is.
Aha! Well I had never really noticed before, which is strange given how often I’ve seen pictures of the Nighthawk with the L and R printed on that pattern inside the earcups and somehow had not consciously not realized I didn’t have that on mine.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #2,038 of 2,529
Does anyone else find cables can be pretty noisy with these headphones? I just bought a balanced cable, but the cable itself is noisy in that every time it rubs against my clothing or God forbid a zipper, I hear all kinds of noise in the headphones. You can hear this to a degree with the stock cable, but it's much louder with this balanced cable. Too bad because balanced sounds better to me, but the only way I can enjoy the music now is if I sit perfectly still and don't move my head (even putting my finger on the cable transmits the noise right to the ears).

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #2,039 of 2,529
Does anyone else find cables can be pretty noisy with these headphones? I just bought a balanced cable, but the cable itself is noisy in that every time it rubs against my clothing or God forbid a zipper, I hear all kinds of noise in the headphones. You can hear this to a degree with the stock cable, but it's much louder with this balanced cable. Too bad because balanced sounds better to me, but the only way I can enjoy the music now is if I sit perfectly still and don't move my head (even putting my finger on the cable transmits the noise right to the ears).

Yes, it's microphonics. I bought a decent Periapt cable and experienced this issue. It has to do with the material the sleeve of the cable is made out of. I then ordered a Forza AudioWorks cable (no one ever complains about microphonics with their cables) and everything is fine.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,040 of 2,529
Yes, it's microphonics. I bought a decent Periapt cable and experienced this issue. It has to do with the material the sleeve of the cable is made out of. I then ordered a Forza AudioWorks cable (no one ever complains about microphonics with their cables) and everything is fine.

Thanks. This was a SurfCables cable that has a fabric sleeve of some kind. This is the second balanced cable I've tried that had this problem; the last was a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable; it was extremely loud. The stock cable is still the better option; I just wish it was balanced.

Does Forza make a cable that works with the NightOwl? And which type of Forza cable did you get, the Noir or the Claire?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back