AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #9,811 of 10,196
I think he doesn't like the idea of the pads pressing on each other. But one can just tilt one cup up such that it rests inside the other instead of pressing against it. It's what I do.

20210219_125906.jpg

Aah. OK. I have had mine for 2 years and they have been fine. Whatever brings calm I guess :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #9,813 of 10,196
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood; so the issue for you is the pads touching at the bottom? Why is that a problem?
Hi George. Well, I didn't say that it was a problem. Like Captain Fantastic said, I don't like the pads pressing on each other (it wears their bottom part on the long run), so I'd like to do something about it. Maybe call it "one more step towards unattainable perfection".

It's true that I can tilt one cup up, but then the headphones aren't symmetrical anymore (they are displayed in my living room like pieces of art). Like I said, I'm striving for perfection here. Don't we all, with all our EQ presets, our replacement pads and (for some of us) our "magical balanced silver-OFC-kryptonite gold-plated" braided custom cables ? :wink:

please save your money and buy the verum one,you will have music and not a sonic mush like with the NH.the designer of the verums may be a fanatic but his headphones for the price are a must!!!!
What are you talking about ? 😳 A few pages ago you were here asking for help on the NH. And now you come to the same NH thread to call the NH's sound "a sonic mush" and advertise another headphone ? You are free to like whatever you want to like, but please be kind enough to NOT come into this thread to promote another headphone and insult all NH owners by calling them the owners of a "sonic mush" headphone. 🤦‍♂️ Remember that most of us have access to EQ, which makes the NH sound so good and with so little distortion that it can barely be criticized. 🤷‍♂️ Also remember that most of us have other headphones, so we can easily compare the NH if we want to. I think we know fairly well what the NH is capable of, and we are happy about it. The fact that you are obviously frustrated because YOU didn't succeed in making your NH sound like YOU wanted, is not a reason enough to be so harsh.

So you like the Verum. Good for you. :relaxed: They're nice headphones (if we forget the fact that they're quite heavy at more than 500g, and that the headband's metal support is almost as ugly as the Abyss one :sweat_smile:). If Head-Fi members want accurate info about them, they surely know where to find it. As everybody can see, they're obviously good, but far from perfect, even for the price. But feel free to like them of course, and let us like our NHs. "Live and let live". Moving on now.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #9,814 of 10,196
please save your money and buy the verum one,you will have music and not a sonic mush like with the NH.the designer of the verums may be a fanatic but his headphones for the price are a must!!!!

I'd prefer not to support a racist, thanks

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #9,815 of 10,196
Hi George. Well, I didn't say that it was a problem. Like Captain Fantastic said, I don't like the pads pressing on each other (it wears their bottom part on the long run), so I'd like to do something about it. Maybe call it "one more step towards unattainable perfection".

It's true that I can tilt one cup up, but then the headphones aren't symmetrical anymore (they are displayed in my living room like pieces of art). Like I said, I'm striving for perfection here. Don't we all, with all our EQ presets, our replacement pads and (for some of us) our "magical balanced silver-OFC-kryptonite gold-plated" braided custom cables ? :wink:

What are you talking about ? 😳 A few pages ago you were here asking for help on the NH. And now you come to the same NH thread to call the NH's sound "a sonic mush" and advertise another headphone ? You are free to like whatever you want to like, but please be kind enough to NOT come into this thread to promote another headphone and insult all NH owners by calling them the owners of a "sonic mush" headphone. 🤦‍♂️ Remember that most of us have access to EQ, which makes the NH sound so good and with so little distortion that it can barely be criticized. 🤷‍♂️ Also remember that most of us have other headphones, so we can easily compare the NH if we want to. I think we know fairly well what the NH is capable of, and we are happy about it. The fact that you are obviously frustrated because YOU didn't succeed in making your NH sound like YOU wanted, is not a reason enough to be so harsh.

So you like the Verum. Good for you. :relaxed: They're nice headphones (if we forget the fact that they're quite heavy at more than 500g, and that the headband's metal support is almost as ugly as the Abyss one :sweat_smile:). If Head-Fi members want accurate info about them, they surely know where to find it. As everybody can see, they're obviously good, but far from perfect, even for the price. But feel free to like them of course, and let us like our NHs. "Live and let live". Moving on now.

No worries Jose. How would you feel about a solution that employed uniform pressure against the entire pad, rather than just the bottom? I saw these on a YT video and thought they looked pretty good. They are thin, so might be OK? https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/leather-headphone-stand/

Good luck with it anyway. If you do find the answer perhaps you could post back and let us know? :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #9,816 of 10,196
Has anybody found a solution for hanging the hawks without the pads crushing into each other at their lower part ? All ideas welcome.

PC130017.jpg

Not a hanging solution, but have you thought about a hat or wig stand? Some of them might be wide enough that they'll hold the earpads apart since many of them are about head width

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #9,817 of 10,196
Finally thinking that I could have made mistake when choosing the other AQ cans is over :)

AQ-NH-NO.jpg

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #9,819 of 10,196
Hi Jose Hidalgo, you might want to consider a yoga block to separate the Nighthawks left and right ear cups, if you google search headphone yoga block you can see some examples.
Funny thing, I had already yoga blocks. Lots of them.

IMG_20201027_165156.jpg

I sold them all a few months ago because hangers are so much easier to use !

IMG_20210130_183150.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #9,823 of 10,196
I switched to the leather pads last night to see how they change the sound. I think I’ve just gotten used to the Meze 99’s too much because i really didn’t like the NH’s at all. Even with the leather pads, I still found everything felt that veil that I remember when I first tried these headphones.

To me it seems hard to keep these around and switch between these and other headphones because it takes so long to get used to the NH sound again, at least for me personally.

I skipped through a few tracks to see how the new pads sounded and one of the tracks was Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus” which sounded terrible to me on the NH’s. The vocals sounded like they were behind a stack of veil, let alone one sheet. It really sounded so distant and like something was broken.

I’ll switch back to the suede pads again today but I don’t feel like I’ll keep these around. As much as I appreciate they’re an acquired taste to some, and are increasingly hard to get, I don’t think I can justify keeping these around knowing they wouldn’t get used.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #9,824 of 10,196
I switched to the leather pads last night to see how they change the sound. I think I’ve just gotten used to the Meze 99’s too much because i really didn’t like the NH’s at all. Even with the leather pads, I still found everything felt that veil that I remember when I first tried these headphones.

To me it seems hard to keep these around and switch between these and other headphones because it takes so long to get used to the NH sound again, at least for me personally.

I skipped through a few tracks to see how the new pads sounded and one of the tracks was Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus” which sounded terrible to me on the NH’s. The vocals sounded like they were behind a stack of veil, let alone one sheet. It really sounded so distant and like something was broken.

I’ll switch back to the suede pads again today but I don’t feel like I’ll keep these around. As much as I appreciate they’re an acquired taste to some, and are increasingly hard to get, I don’t think I can justify keeping these around knowing they wouldn’t get used.
If you don't have access to EQ, I understand. If you do, then by all means, EQ the Nighthawk and be amazed. What you call a 'veil' is simply the recessed mids and treble, which one may like or dislike. There is no 'veil', no missing info AFAIK.

The Nighthawk is a better headphone than the 99 for many reasons, and it would be a shame to get rid of it just because of a lack of EQ. I have both of them too, but I only have the 99 because they're closed and I can travel with them.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #9,825 of 10,196
If you don't have access to EQ, I understand. If you do, then by all means, EQ the Nighthawk and be amazed. What you call a 'veil' is simply the recessed mids and treble, which one may like or dislike. There is no 'veil', no missing info AFAIK.

The Nighthawk is a better headphone than the 99 for many reasons, and it would be a shame to get rid of it just because of a lack of EQ. I have both of them too, but I only have the 99 because they're closed and I can travel with them.

The problem with EQ is that I have zero idea what I’m doing. I contacted Oratory and the Fiio app only had a graphic EQ which doesn’t translate to his numbers so he suggested I use a different tool but that’s not really an option on the Fiio app or with the iPhone as it doesn’t allow system-level EQ, just app based.

Attachments

• AFAA5EA1-0F3C-49ED-A9CF-CE88DE2BC0A1.png
    AFAA5EA1-0F3C-49ED-A9CF-CE88DE2BC0A1.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back