AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #9,361 of 10,196
Still love my pair. Don't always use them due to their size but love how easy it is to get immersed in my music.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #9,363 of 10,196
Listening to Joe Henry on my NightOwls right now, but I've been thinking of picking up a pair of Nighthawks before they get harder to find. Had the Hawks a while back but ended up selling them. I really think these are both underappreciated headphones

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #9,364 of 10,196
I still love mine, use them regularly and never feel they are thick or syrupy (not saying the other poster is wrong, we all hear things the way we hear them!)
My other regular listens are the Ananda and the Prophile P8s (IEMs) so I'm used to a relatively reference signature. I never feel the 'hawks are lacking in clarity (though obviously not as precise or, dare I say it, sharp as the other two options) - for me they're just a hugely enjoyable listen without compromise.
As I've said before, I think having something like the Nighthawks and the Ananda and enjoying them both equally is a great example (justification?) of why it's ok to have more than one pair of headphones. We are allowed to enjoy different signatures and we're not duty-bound to always chase the flattest possible response!

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #9,365 of 10,196
When you get used to a headphone they tend to sound normal. I have multiple headphones around me always so I never let myself get adjusted or at least not for long.

The Nighthawks get their sound from the huge bass lift and the cups give off a reverb, mixed with the upper mid dip. It has been making these my evening phone at lower volumes as the don't jump out like the Verum which is a more quick, responsive headphone. They've been sounding better than the LCD-2C I've got here that headphone over time has become grating and doesn't sound the same as my previous unit I had.

Not sure if I'll keep the NH they're not technically that great, they're good, driver is on par with the other Fostex variances due to being a Fostex driver of course. At the end of the day I am enjoying them,and I've been reaching for them more so at the moment, they're so damn comfortable.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #9,367 of 10,196
Hi.

Is anyone finding their 3.5mm jack going a bit discouloured and looking at little worn?

I clean mine with snake oil.

snake oil.png

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #9,368 of 10,196
Hi.

Is anyone finding their 3.5mm jack going a bit discouloured and looking at little worn?

Do you mean the original silver 3.5 mm? The manual or the website note that silver will do that. It's why they included the light colored cloth to regularly clean it with.

I use different cables on my Hawks and Owls, the original cables and adapters have many issues, the silver finish being one of them.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #9,369 of 10,196
Do you mean the original silver 3.5 mm? The manual or the website note that silver will do that. It's why they included the light colored cloth to regularly clean it with.

I use different cables on my Hawks and Owls, the original cables and adapters have many issues, the silver finish being one of them.

Yeah, silver tarnishes really easily, silly choice for a headphone plug

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #9,371 of 10,196
Unfortunately I bought mine 2nd hand and I don't have a light coloured cloth in the case.

What is the cloth made out of as I suppose I could pick one up form somewhere?

You can probably just google ways to clean tarnished silver, just don't use any methods that might damage the cable inadvertently. Some toothpaste, a little water and a cloth will probably do the trick, or just something mildly abrasive like that.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #9,372 of 10,196
Hi.

Do you use the silver cleaning cloth in the bag? The jacks on both sides of the cable are silver, which is why they included the grey cleaning cloth. I wipe mine down every time I pull the headphones out. Had my phone's over two years, and they are still nice and shiny.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #9,373 of 10,196
Unfortunately I bought mine 2nd hand and I don't have a light coloured cloth in the case.

What is the cloth made out of as I suppose I could pick one up form somewhere?
Sorry, didn't see this post before I replied. Any jewelry store silver cleaning cloth will do the trick

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #9,374 of 10,196
That's the reason I bought aftermarket cables for my Hawks and Owls, didn't like the idea of contant cleaning the damn jacks. But actually I don't think the silver tarnishes that easy, when you keep it plugged in or/and don't touch the jack with your hands I think you probably don't have to clean it at all?

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #9,375 of 10,196
Hi.

Silver gets tarnished after a while, its normal. Thats why you get the grey cloth with it, to polish the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back