AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #9,152 of 10,196
What cables pair well with the Nighthawk?
Am I right in suspecting silver would be best?
Are you trying to remove some of the low end? I've had a few different SPC cables I tried with the nighthawks. I ended up going back to own, cuz it just sounded more musical and meaty to me.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #9,153 of 10,196
Are you trying to remove some of the low end? I've had a few different SPC cables I tried with the nighthawks. I ended up going back to own, cuz it just sounded more musical and meaty to me.

I would like to preserve the low end . I am mainly looking for something more ergonomic but that will also bring the best out of the NH. Instinct and past experience tells me silver, but that could result in more than the cost of the headphone itself.

Draug 3 by Norne seems like a safe copper option.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #9,154 of 10,196
The NightHawks by far, especially with the micro suede pads. The NightOwls have more zing, but it never gets really hot or peaky.

I have to say I no longer agree with what I stated here. Maybe because the pads, both protein and micro suede have been worn in a bit, but to me there is little to no difference concerning the treble perfomance of these headphones. The pads don't seem to make that much of a difference as well. What remains is a slight more immediate and dynamic sound with the NightOwls in comparison with the NightHawks. It also seems, at least with my pair that is that the Owls have a bit more clamping force at the ears, which in return feels like they are heavier overall. And the cable is more 'microphonic' with the NightOwls it makes more noise when moving my head.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #9,155 of 10,196
I would like to preserve the low end . I am mainly looking for something more ergonomic but that will also bring the best out of the NH. Instinct and past experience tells me silver, but that could result in more than the cost of the headphone itself.

Draug 3 by Norne seems like a safe copper option.

I'm also eager to get new cables for the same reasons. Someone here mentioned the Wireworld Eclipse series as being the best they had heard and I have been reading up on this cable. From the reviews I've read, the Eclipse is one of the most transparent cables, not introducing much in the way of coloration, which may suit some headphones, but not others. There are several tiers, and they're not cheap. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore as they're not listed on the WW site, but there are some out there. The other cable I'm interested in is the Arctic Cables UP-OCC. They strip away the outer coverings of the raw Neotech cable and add their own lightweight coverings, thereby reducing jank. The Ohno-Continuous-Cast wire they use is highly regarded, and they look fabulously comfortable. In either case I'd be in for just about the price I paid for my AQs. Anyone had experience with either of these cables?

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #9,156 of 10,196
I'm also eager to get new cables for the same reasons. Someone here mentioned the Wireworld Eclipse series as being the best they had heard and I have been reading up on this cable. From the reviews I've read, the Eclipse is one of the most transparent cables, not introducing much in the way of coloration, which may suit some headphones, but not others. There are several tiers, and they're not cheap. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore as they're not listed on the WW site, but there are some out there. The other cable I'm interested in is the Arctic Cables UP-OCC. They strip away the outer coverings of the raw Neotech cable and add their own lightweight coverings, thereby reducing jank. The Ohno-Continuous-Cast wire they use is highly regarded, and they look fabulously comfortable. In either case I'd be in for just about the price I paid for my AQs. Anyone had experience with either of these cables?

I have an Arctic Cables AC Neotech (UP-OCC) balanced cable that I use with my AQ Nighthawk (original version) and my he-400i. It's the best cable I own by far; super thin and light, zero microphonics and good build quality. It improved the sound of my Nighthawks noticeably.

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #9,157 of 10,196
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #9,158 of 10,196
I have an Arctic Cables AC Neotech (UP-OCC) balanced cable that I use with my AQ Nighthawk (original version) and my he-400i. It's the best cable I own by far; super thin and light, zero microphonics and good build quality. It improved the sound of my Nighthawks noticeably.

What does the plug look like on the balanced AQ cable? Is it TR or TRR?

At this price I keep wondering if I should stockpile a few pairs. I wonder if NOS Nghthawks will ever be sought after.

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #9,159 of 10,196
It is sad however that such a great pair of headphones is sold cheap because it is seen as a failure and they want to get rid of it.
And to be fair, I am a leech in that regard, I only bought a pair because it was sold cheap.

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #9,160 of 10,196
It is sad however that such a great pair of headphones is sold cheap because it is seen as a failure and they want to get rid of it.
And to be fair, I am a leech in that regard, I only bought a pair because it was sold cheap.

At this price it is a no brainer (like the 6xx). I'm pushing all my non-headphone music friends to buy some. I wonder if they put it on drop at this price if there'd be a feeding frenzy.

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #9,161 of 10,196
What does the plug look like on the balanced AQ cable? Is it TR or TRR?

At this price I keep wondering if I should stockpile a few pairs. I wonder if NOS Nghthawks will ever be sought after.

Mine is a 4 pin XLR. I use it with my Aune X7S.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,163 of 10,196
Dec 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9,164 of 10,196
At this price it is a no brainer (like the 6xx). I'm pushing all my non-headphone music friends to buy some. I wonder if they put it on drop at this price if there'd be a feeding frenzy.

Doubt it will be on Drop as if no longer being built and AQ has shown no desire to ever do it again.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #9,165 of 10,196
Doubt it will be on Drop as if no longer being built and AQ has shown no desire to ever do it again.

But there is an option to vote for the Nightowl as an upcoming product on Drop. I agree, it's strange... would Drop have to rebuild the entire manufacturing process?

And in any case, I don't need any Drop-built Nightbirds. I have the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back