AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #9,121 of 10,196
I just got a pair of these (at the current price, it was a no-brainer). They are still not broken in, so things will probably change, but what an unusual headphone this is. It sounds so different depending on what music you play. Hiromi's solo piano on Spectrum, or some Pat Metheny sounded syrupy and vague. But the Return to Forever Anthology was super articulate, to where you could hear every nuance (not in a fatiguing way). Pretty fantastic rendition of this great remaster. Guitar Music of Argentina Vol 2 sounds great, and so does most of the hard driving modern jazz-rock fusion I listen to. Maybe this fickleness will change as they break in, but for now, it is a very recording dependent headphone. I like a lot of dynamics, fun and mid-bass punch, and this suits my tastes very well. I'm liking them so much that I just ordered a set of the Owls as well - one downside to the Hawks is the leakage (as heard by others), so I will use the Owls when others are in the office.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #9,122 of 10,196
No, the Carbon has identical tuning to the original. Just a different finish, possibly cheaper materials and possibly some improvements as described below. Let me get some quotes from the creator:

"But my personal opinion is that the smart thing to do is buy the original NightHawk now while they're on sale. Then if you want, buy the new pads and cable separately directly from AQ. It will save you money. And once we run out of the original NightHawk, they're gone for good. If we have any left after Dec 31, the price is supposed to go up to $499 USD. So now's the time to get the good deal on the OG NightHawk." - Skylar Gray 31/12/2016

"I should clarify on the new NightHawk Carbon that even though the acoustics have not been re-tuned, we do include new pads. As we all know, by swapping the pads, one can alter the sound. Something to keep in mind. The new "Carbon" headphones give the ability to tweak the sound a bit via pads." - Skylar Gray 11/11/2016.
"As the authority on this subject, there have been no changes to NightHawk's tuning. That applies to NightHawk Carbon as well." - Skylar Gray 11/11/2016

"Any sound improvement for NH Carbon versus the normal NH?
The sound signature is exactly the same. Based on some small refinements that we've made to a handful of the parts, we have noticed tighter manufacturing tolerances and consistency of the new NightHawk Carbon. All things being equal (A/B NightHawk Wood vs NightHawk Carbon with same earpads and cable and same amount of break-in), I don't expect anyone to hear a difference, but I may be surprised by forthcoming press and user reviews.

But the new cable is an improvement, and the extra, alternative set of ultra-suede earpads makes it possible to tailor the new NightHawk Carbon to personal preference.

Both the new cable and earpads will be available separately so existing NightHawk owners can get in on the fun." - Skylar Gray 1/11/2016

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #9,123 of 10,196
No, the Carbon has identical tuning to the original. Just a different finish, possibly cheaper materials and possibly some improvements as described below. Let me get some quotes from the creator:

"But my personal opinion is that the smart thing to do is buy the original NightHawk now while they're on sale. Then if you want, buy the new pads and cable separately directly from AQ. It will save you money. And once we run out of the original NightHawk, they're gone for good. If we have any left after Dec 31, the price is supposed to go up to $499 USD. So now's the time to get the good deal on the OG NightHawk." - Skylar Gray 31/12/2016

"I should clarify on the new NightHawk Carbon that even though the acoustics have not been re-tuned, we do include new pads. As we all know, by swapping the pads, one can alter the sound. Something to keep in mind. The new "Carbon" headphones give the ability to tweak the sound a bit via pads." - Skylar Gray 11/11/2016.
"As the authority on this subject, there have been no changes to NightHawk's tuning. That applies to NightHawk Carbon as well." - Skylar Gray 11/11/2016

"Any sound improvement for NH Carbon versus the normal NH?
The sound signature is exactly the same. Based on some small refinements that we've made to a handful of the parts, we have noticed tighter manufacturing tolerances and consistency of the new NightHawk Carbon. All things being equal (A/B NightHawk Wood vs NightHawk Carbon with same earpads and cable and same amount of break-in), I don't expect anyone to hear a difference, but I may be surprised by forthcoming press and user reviews.

But the new cable is an improvement, and the extra, alternative set of ultra-suede earpads makes it possible to tailor the new NightHawk Carbon to personal preference.

Both the new cable and earpads will be available separately so existing NightHawk owners can get in on the fun." - Skylar Gray 1/11/2016

Yes the driver tuning is the same but both pads are different so unless you have the hybrid pads as well the carbon won’t sound the same as the woods.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #9,124 of 10,196
I've been hearing some unpleasant distortion or muddledness on some mid heavy tracks (solo piano or vocal lacking deep bass & highs). Is anyone else hearing this? It seems using a tone generator that it is around 170hz, which coincides with what appears to be the resonant frequency of these headphones. Switching the power on my amp from lo-mid-hi, I'm hearing different intermodulate tones which change based on the volume. They only have about 40 hours, so maybe this will clear up eventually.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #9,125 of 10,196
I've been hearing some unpleasant distortion or muddledness on some mid heavy tracks (solo piano or vocal lacking deep bass & highs). Is anyone else hearing this? It seems using a tone generator that it is around 170hz, which coincides with what appears to be the resonant frequency of these headphones. Switching the power on my amp from lo-mid-hi, I'm hearing different intermodulate tones which change based on the volume. They only have about 40 hours, so maybe this will clear up eventually.

Might be a good idea to name some of the tracks that are a problem.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #9,127 of 10,196
The mid bass is ridiculously boosted on the headphone making the lower mids sound bloated.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #9,128 of 10,196
The mid bass is ridiculously boosted on the headphone making the lower mids sound bloated.
I'm experimenting with some EQ based on Dale Thorn's recommendation, plus the 165hz band stop. The NHs are sounding pretty good with this setting.

C2tsSgz.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,129 of 10,196
Call me a new owner of a pair of NightHawks. I accidentally got these, because I was under the impression I had ordered the NightOwls LOL.
I ordered the NightOwls as well. I will get them next week. Both 300 euro a pair.
I can see why people hate the NightHawks, but I can also see why people love them. Deja Vu, a similar experience I had with the Sony MDR-Z7s.
Getting used to them is the main thing, more so than any other pair of headphones I own, apart from the D5000s I guess, that pair always takes a while before I finally get the sound again, but I love them. Ironically my new pair of NightHawks arrived at the moment I had convinced myself that the D5000s are my favorite pair of headphones. (But I get the same feeling with every other headphones I own.)
NightHawks first listen, some Beatles tracks. Muffled, dull treble? Nope, they sound excellent! The extreme stereo panning of the recording now sound pretty cohesive and organic. Wow, I like what I'm hearing.
Next, some songs by Eliot Smith. Yep very muffeld and dark. What's going on? "Son of Sam" sounds distant and rather thin in the higher mids. I played this track yesterday with my D5000s and it sounded way more upfront. PJ Harvey, "One Line" with this track the Nighthawks sound more upfront and fuller sounding than the D5000s. How can this be?
I had a similar experience with my Sony MDR Z7's when I first got them, inconsistency in delivery. Sometimes very upfront, other times laid back. As if the headphones decide for themselves how they are going to perform with every individual track. My D5000s, AKG K550s and Audio Technica A900Xs are more consistent.
Some classical music. Mahler 6, Boulez. A very warm and lush sounding by itself, the NightHawks are magical with this recording, so much details, but delivered with subtlety. Pretty dynamic as well.
Some older early digital classical recordings now sound very engaging, less glare.
But then Zoula Zoula, from the album At the cafe Aman (Ross Daly & Labyrinth), the NightHawks makes it sounds so damn weird, instruments lack body, are panned to sides of the earcups. Damn!

So far I like them with some recordings, but I am not yet fully convinced.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #9,130 of 10,196
So far I like them with some recordings, but I am not yet fully convinced.

Yup, they are really a material dependent headphone. With the right tracks, they are wonderful. I sometimes have a hard time parting with them and stay up later than I should. But at the same time, there is something unnatural about them. I find something like the HD650 very dull in comparison. Try experimenting with the EQ setting I posted. It takes away a lot of the track dependent awkwardness, while retaining enough of their unique personality. (I have a pair of Nightowls arriving tomorrow)

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #9,131 of 10,196
Yup, they are really a material dependent headphone. With the right tracks, they are wonderful. I sometimes have a hard time parting with them and stay up later than I should. But at the same time, there is something unnatural about them. I find something like the HD650 very dull in comparison. Try experimenting with the EQ setting I posted. It takes away a lot of the track dependent awkwardness, while retaining enough of their unique personality. (I have a pair of Nightowls arriving tomorrow)

EQ them to sound more normal like those dull HD650's:dt880smile:

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #9,133 of 10,196
They have a very distinct smell. nothing especially faul, but a strong enough scent to give off on my hair and skin. When I went to bed last night I could still smell the NightHawks on my pillow and in my hair.
Is there a safe way of removing this odd odour?

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #9,135 of 10,196
They have a very distinct smell. nothing especially faul, but a strong enough scent to give off on my hair and skin. When I went to bed last night I could still smell the NightHawks on my pillow and in my hair.
Is there a safe way of removing this odd odour?

Yes, it is like a formaldehyde smell. I think the smell is from the liquid wood. I've grown to like it as my subconscious associates the smell with great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back