AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #7,906 of 10,196
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #7,907 of 10,196

Thanks! Worth the gamble of seeing if the mic is good enough at that price. Those look at lot better than the ones I found on AliExpress too which look like they'll put a crazy amount of strain on the jacks of the ear cups.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32811317606.html

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #7,908 of 10,196
Nighthawks might be lacking body of the sound of strings in orchestral music, however this lacking makes other instrument emerge vividly that was never seen before in this level of clarity.
This fact gives me another prospective to the music, which were never heard before and now found full-bodied and increase the dimensionality of the orchestral music.
Perhaps this characteristics is seen as deviating from traditional tonal balance as we all have been trained by those well known brands of so-called flagship phones like hd800, t1, he-6, and a group of those followers.
Perhaps Nighthawks might reveal too much of the music due to replacing the stiff boundary with free-floated rubber seal along the stiff bio-cellulose acoustic cone.
We might now listening the true nature of the orchestral music from one of the correct perspectives.

Whenever listening to my familiar music through NHs, I always think that "is it really the same music that I am familiar with?"
It is good thing to me, because I feel that I have another collection of the music, which seems to be bonus to me.
They are really revealing phones with high tonal density.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #7,909 of 10,196
I'm sorry but I find the Nighthawk muddy and lacking in treble. I have to keep returning to my sennheiser hd540's, which are far more musical and relaxing. I can only listen to the Nighthawk Carbon by tweaking the eq to remove the horrible upper bass and lower midrange which swamps everything else. V. Disappointed because they are comfortable and easy to drive otherwise.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #7,910 of 10,196
I'm sorry but I find the Nighthawk muddy and lacking in treble. I have to keep returning to my sennheiser hd540's, which are far more musical and relaxing. I can only listen to the Nighthawk Carbon by tweaking the eq to remove the horrible upper bass and lower midrange which swamps everything else. V. Disappointed because they are comfortable and easy to drive otherwise.
Coming from another headphone will polarize the unique sound of the Nighthawks. They definitely need some brain burn in. I would not get rid of them, after 1 or 2 listening sessions. However, they are really warm and that is not for everyone. I go on the fence on selling mine, every now and then, and then I listen to them again and fall in love all over again.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #7,911 of 10,196
For those who are evaluating the Nighthawks or Nightowls for the very first time, I highly recommend that they be broken-in for 200-hrs.(min.) to 300-hrs.(max.). After break-in, give yourself a minimum of 3-9 hrs. of brain burn-in time to condition your ears. After doing all of the previously mentioned, if you don't like how they sound then chances are very good that they are not the set of cans for you.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #7,912 of 10,196
I fall into the camp of finding the Nighthawks overly warm - muddy is the word that always comes to mind when I listen to them. This is even after extensive burn-in and frequent listening sessions over the past year to acclimate myself to their sound. I really wanted to like them, especially given their extreme comfort. I wrestled over that time period with selling them and but always backed off hoping that they'd eventually click with me. I finally gave in - put them up for sale.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #7,913 of 10,196
A certain listening flavor requires you of a certain extent of training in order to get used to and begin to loving it.
The extent of training depends on your chatacteristics of listening.
I think it is the same as the training to some bizzar flavor of some french goat cheese. Once you get it, then you really fall in love.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #7,914 of 10,196
For those of you that find the Nighthawks(original wood circa 2015) overly warm and lacking in treble, you may want to consider swapping in the protein leather earpads(original equipment with Nighthawk Carbon model) that can be bought in the U.S. at the following link below. They may provide just enough of a treble boost to satisfy your needs.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQEPCA

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #7,915 of 10,196
For those of you that find the Nighthawks(original wood circa 2015) overly warm and lacking in treble, you may want to consider swapping in the protein leather earpads(original equipment with Nighthawk Carbon model) that can be bought in the U.S. at the following link below. They may provide just enough of a treble boost to satisfy your needs.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQEPCA

That might be worth a shot. But I wonder if that would ultimately help for me, as I actually find the treble to be fine for me. Detail is there without fatigue. It's the lower frequencies that muddy the picture. If the protein leather ear pads effectively boost the treble by fixing those lower frequencies that would probably do the trick. I still may try those pads though - thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, I've tried to do the same by equalizing but I've never been able to arrive at a satisfactory setting.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #7,916 of 10,196
For those of you that find the Nighthawks(original wood circa 2015) overly warm and lacking in treble, you may want to consider swapping in the protein leather earpads(original equipment with Nighthawk Carbon model) that can be bought in the U.S. at the following link below. They may provide just enough of a treble boost to satisfy your needs
I found this to be true, at least for my ears also. I have all 3 sets of pads and find there is a difference with each, we all hear different.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #7,917 of 10,196
That might be worth a shot. But I wonder if that would ultimately help for me, as I actually find the treble to be fine for me. Detail is there without fatigue. It's the lower frequencies that muddy the picture. If the protein leather ear pads effectively boost the treble by fixing those lower frequencies that would probably do the trick. I still may try those pads though - thanks for the suggestion.

You are very welcome.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #7,918 of 10,196
Try the thin portable cable. I like it more than both thick cables.

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #7,919 of 10,196
I fall into the camp of finding the Nighthawks overly warm - muddy is the word that always comes to mind when I listen to them. This is even after extensive burn-in and frequent listening sessions over the past year to acclimate myself to their sound. I really wanted to like them, especially given their extreme comfort. I wrestled over that time period with selling them and but always backed off hoping that they'd eventually click with me. I finally gave in - put them up for sale.

HE 400i may be for you

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,920 of 10,196
A certain listening flavor requires you of a certain extent of training in order to get used to and begin to loving it.
The extent of training depends on your chatacteristics of listening.
I think it is the same as the training to some bizzar flavor of some french goat cheese. Once you get it, then you really fall in love.
Nope. French Goat cheese doesn't seem to do it for me either....still, I did learn to bleat in french....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back