AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #7,516 of 10,196
Guys I need some help. Before I get to my issue, here is some information; I have the Original Nighthawk, aka 2015 Wood edition. I HAD a Dragonfly v1.2 and a Magni 2 Uber to power it with.

The Dragonfly broke somehow, and I got a good deal on a Mojo. Problem! I genuinely don't think the Mojo synergize well at all with the Nighthawk!
The Mojo is a little device that excels in extracting detail while keeping it smooth. Where it does not excel is in soundstage and imaging. It seems to just PUSH every little detail to the forefront whether or not it belongs there and that is detrimental to the integrity of the soundstage.

The Dragonfly didn't have as much detail but it was ultimately a better match because it left the soundstage in peace, allowing the Nighthawk to showcase it's AMAZING ability to produce soundstage depth and special 3D imaging. Details that were supposed to be in the back, were actually in the back and so you could differentiate the depth distance between instruments and what not.

SO, here's the thing. I am looking for a DAC that excels in the soundstage and imaging area. Any recommendations, findings? Max $500.

Why don't you just replace the Dragonfly? Sometimes it's just best to keep it simple. I am not aware of its prowess, and it doesn't do DSD so for me it would not be a first choice (but those are nice sq features you describe), but it sounds like it floats your boat. Go for it and keep the extra $$. Life is short. :)

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #7,517 of 10,196
Why don't you just replace the Dragonfly? Sometimes it's just best to keep it simple. I am not aware of its prowess, and it doesn't do DSD so for me it would not be a first choice (but those are nice sq features you describe), but it sounds like it floats your boat. Go for it and keep the extra $$. Life is short. :)

I have similar sentiments. The DragonFly Red is outstanding for the price. I'd go for that and pocket the change

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7,518 of 10,196
My 2 levels mod's description:

What is needed;:
- 1 philipps screwdriver for tiny screws
- 1 cutter
- 4 self-stick felt pads for hard surfaces 1/13" to 1/9" thick x 1.57" to 2" diameter. Take a relatively rigid type.image:

- 1 wood screw 5/32" diameter (no more, no less!), length has no importance; image:

Level2 process::
1) unclip the pad (4 clips)
2) unscrew the 4 screws sustaining the driver's plate to the wood cup
3) with the cutter, remove the 2 white stickers on top of the driver's plate and the round white sticker in the center of the driver (see picture in point 5). Note: the stickers can be relocated if you are careful.
4) take one self-stick felt pad and, by hands, drill a central hole using the wood screw; screw/unscrew several times to create a homogeneous and durable hole; image:

5) stick it on the driver's center hole; image:

6) reassemble everything, taking care to correctly replace the two rings of black felt inside and around the cup.

Level1 process
All identical to the level2, except that it is necessary to plug a small piece of sticker felt pad on half of the area of one of the 2 top driver's plate vents.

Respecting the material used (felt pad) and process will ensure you the same result I got.

As said previously, level1 is the closest to a stock NH sound, I guess NH owners will not be disapointed; level2 being on a clearer side, NH owners may be disapointed.

So it's been a month since Agnostic1er posted this mod. As I sit down and contemplate trying it I was wondering if anyone else has tried it...thx

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #7,519 of 10,196
So it's been a month since Agnostic1er posted this mod. As I sit down and contemplate trying it I was wondering if anyone else has tried it...thx

What is the mod suppose to do to the sound?

I'm kinda happy with the NH sound so I'm likely to leave it alone.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #7,520 of 10,196
Guys I need some help. Before I get to my issue, here is some information; I have the Original Nighthawk, aka 2015 Wood edition. I HAD a Dragonfly v1.2 and a Magni 2 Uber to power it with.

The Dragonfly broke somehow, and I got a good deal on a Mojo. Problem! I genuinely don't think the Mojo synergize well at all with the Nighthawk!
The Mojo is a little device that excels in extracting detail while keeping it smooth. Where it does not excel is in soundstage and imaging. It seems to just PUSH every little detail to the forefront whether or not it belongs there and that is detrimental to the integrity of the soundstage.

The Dragonfly didn't have as much detail but it was ultimately a better match because it left the soundstage in peace, allowing the Nighthawk to showcase it's AMAZING ability to produce soundstage depth and special 3D imaging. Details that were supposed to be in the back, were actually in the back and so you could differentiate the depth distance between instruments and what not.

SO, here's the thing. I am looking for a DAC that excels in the soundstage and imaging area. Any recommendations, findings? Max $500.

I to have the original Nighthawk and the DAC I use is the Modi Multibit which I feel sounds great with them. For $250 is it's a great deal and I don't find any problems while listening to my NH's.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #7,521 of 10,196

Many like the Mojo with the NH including myself. Soundstage width is not everything.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #7,522 of 10,196

I have the original Nighthawk with Surf Cables balanced 4.4mm cable. I use the balanced output from my Sony NW-WM1A and the combination is magical. Once the Sony's burned in, you get soundstage width and detail together and it sounds gorgeous.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #7,525 of 10,196
I have the original Nighthawk with Surf Cables balanced 4.4mm cable. I use the balanced output from my Sony NW-WM1A and the combination is magical. Once the Sony's burned in, you get soundstage width and detail together and it sounds gorgeous.
I may be mistaken but that sounds 'a bit' over the Max 500$ requirement.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #7,526 of 10,196
I may be mistaken but that sounds 'a bit' over the Max 500$ requirement.

Oops, I forgot about that part... demo units can be had in the $850 range from Razordog Audio right now. I also have a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, a Questyle QP1R, and an angry wife.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #7,527 of 10,196
Oops, I forgot about that part... demo units can be had in the $850 range from Razordog Audio right now. I also have a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, a Questyle QP1R, and an angry wife.

:laughing:Wow, with that kind of equipment I'm kinda supprised you still have a wife, seriously though next time she want's a 2000$ Gucci handbag you're going to have a hard time refusing man.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #7,528 of 10,196
:laughing:Wow, with that kind of equipment I'm kinda supprised you still have a wife, seriously though next time she want's a 2000$ Gucci handbag you're going to have a hard time refusing man.

:)

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #7,530 of 10,196
I recall a review that said the AQ NH designer told them the plugs on the cable that go into the headphones need to be cleaned regularly? Anyone else remember that?

Yes, because the plugs are silver plated and have a tendency to tarnish easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back