1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ghostchili, Jan 7, 2015.
First

Back
491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500
502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511
Next

Last
  1. ninetylol
    Looking at the rest of your setup (ie your Dac and Amps) is telling pretty much of how high you praise the NH and Aeon Open and in what league those play :wink:

2. RiseFall123
    Good for me that’s ny taste.

Examples please...

3. Badas
    Oh! There are artist and albums I like however I think they were recorded too treble rich. Off the top of my head I would say Adel’s Entire stuff, ELO’s albums and Eva Cassidy “live at blues alley”

4. RiseFall123
    Adele I didn’t notice that while the others I have to discover.

What about the first of Toto and Brothers in arms by Straits?

5. Badas
    Yes. Those early 80’s artist lost the mid-range and boosted the treble.
    Some Steely Dan and Supertramp sound better with dark HP’s as well.

6. Badas
    I’ve had a lot of more expensive HP’s and they just didn’t do it for me.
    They all pushed treble too high.
    Frankly I don’t get it. None of them sounded good or like top notch speakers. Both the NH and AFO remind me of my speaker system.

Bern2 and RiseFall123 like this.
  7. sageamagoo
    Anyone else order the Massdrop CTH for the Nighthawks? It has higher SE power than unbalanced Jotunheim, has an output impedance below 0.5 (even with a tube!), and got great reviews for its clarity and resolution compared to the Vali and Valhalla. Given the reviews so far, all signs point to it being a good pairing with the Nighthawk—emphasized upper mids, a "meatier, harder hitting sound" compared to the Valhalla, and capable of revealing fine background detail. Mine should ship fairly soon; can't wait to try it out for myself.

I'm just using an original Dragonfly at the moment, and the pairing struggles to "hype me up" when the music requires it. A few select albums (okay, maybe just Plastic Beach) are out-of-this-world good, but it's easy to tell that the Nighthawk needs a source with a bit more "oomph" to really push it over the edge. I'm noticing a lot of ugly sibilance with the Dragonfly as well, which I know is a source issue since I'm not getting it with my laptop out.

If anyone with a Jotunheim ordered the MCTH, I'd love to hear a comparison once it arrives.

EDIT: It arrived—the pairing wasn't mind-blowing like I'd hoped it'd be, and I've learned I'm not a big fan of tubes with the Nighthawk. Traded it for an m9xx.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. Loquah
    I don't know the MTCH to comment but I would recommend a DAC upgrade next. The DF is a decent DAC, but will definitely be the bottleneck in your system at this point.

9. Jearly410
    @sageamagoo

I’ve got one coming as well! I can’t wait to try it with my nightowls and Atticus. I’ve got a dfr, ifi micro bl, and creative e5 to use as dacs and am hoping the ifi micro synergizes well.

10. lugnut
    What are your speakers ?

11. Badas
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Madmollusk, nick n and groucho69 like this.
  12. Bitsir
    Guys I need some help. Before I get to my issue, here is some information; I have the Original Nighthawk, aka 2015 Wood edition. I HAD a Dragonfly v1.2 and a Magni 2 Uber to power it with.

The Dragonfly broke somehow, and I got a good deal on a Mojo. Problem! I genuinely don't think the Mojo synergize well at all with the Nighthawk!
    The Mojo is a little device that excels in extracting detail while keeping it smooth. Where it does not excel is in soundstage and imaging. It seems to just PUSH every little detail to the forefront whether or not it belongs there and that is detrimental to the integrity of the soundstage.

The Dragonfly didn't have as much detail but it was ultimately a better match because it left the soundstage in peace, allowing the Nighthawk to showcase it's AMAZING ability to produce soundstage depth and special 3D imaging. Details that were supposed to be in the back, were actually in the back and so you could differentiate the depth distance between instruments and what not.

SO, here's the thing. I am looking for a DAC that excels in the soundstage and imaging area. Any recommendations, findings? Max $500.

Quadfather likes this.
  13. groucho69
    I enjoy my NuForce uDAC-5 best but my Zorloo ZuperDac does a fine job.

14. waynes world
    Ok. Wow cubed. I'm coming over to your place to watch some Reservoir Dogs (or Apocalypto - hey, I don't see that in your collection!) , then listen to some Floyd or Dire Straits, and to definitely drink some of your scotch - I assume you like scotch lol!

Seriously, thanks for the pics. Very cool. The NH's are honoured to be there!

nick n likes this.
  15. CoFire
    Are you looking for a portable solution, hence the Dragon Fly Red and Mojo? I like the Grace m9XX (the replacement is the m900 which is identical but comes with Toslink I believe) but I haven't heard it with the Nighthawk and is more transportable than portable.

First

Back
491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500
502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511
Next

Last