AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7,502 of 10,194
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #7,503 of 10,194
Examples please...

Oh! There are artist and albums I like however I think they were recorded too treble rich. Off the top of my head I would say Adel’s Entire stuff, ELO’s albums and Eva Cassidy “live at blues alley”

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #7,504 of 10,194
Oh! There are artist and albums I like however I think they were recorded too treble rich. Off the top of my head I would say Adel’s Entire stuff, ELO’s albums and Eva Cassidy “live at blues alley”

Adele I didn’t notice that while the others I have to discover.

What about the first of Toto and Brothers in arms by Straits?

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #7,505 of 10,194
Adele I didn’t notice that while the others I have to discover.

What about the first of Toto and Brothers in arms by Straits?

Yes. Those early 80’s artist lost the mid-range and boosted the treble.
Some Steely Dan and Supertramp sound better with dark HP’s as well.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7,506 of 10,194
Looking at the rest of your setup (ie your Dac and Amps) is telling pretty much of how high you praise the NH and Aeon Open and in what league those play :wink:

I’ve had a lot of more expensive HP’s and they just didn’t do it for me.
They all pushed treble too high.
Frankly I don’t get it. None of them sounded good or like top notch speakers. Both the NH and AFO remind me of my speaker system.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #7,507 of 10,194
Anyone else order the Massdrop CTH for the Nighthawks? It has higher SE power than unbalanced Jotunheim, has an output impedance below 0.5 (even with a tube!), and got great reviews for its clarity and resolution compared to the Vali and Valhalla. Given the reviews so far, all signs point to it being a good pairing with the Nighthawk—emphasized upper mids, a "meatier, harder hitting sound" compared to the Valhalla, and capable of revealing fine background detail. Mine should ship fairly soon; can't wait to try it out for myself.

I'm just using an original Dragonfly at the moment, and the pairing struggles to "hype me up" when the music requires it. A few select albums (okay, maybe just Plastic Beach) are out-of-this-world good, but it's easy to tell that the Nighthawk needs a source with a bit more "oomph" to really push it over the edge. I'm noticing a lot of ugly sibilance with the Dragonfly as well, which I know is a source issue since I'm not getting it with my laptop out.

If anyone with a Jotunheim ordered the MCTH, I'd love to hear a comparison once it arrives.

EDIT: It arrived—the pairing wasn't mind-blowing like I'd hoped it'd be, and I've learned I'm not a big fan of tubes with the Nighthawk. Traded it for an m9xx.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #7,508 of 10,194
Anyone else order the Massdrop CTH for the Nighthawks? It has higher SE power than the Jotunheim, has an output impedance below 0.5 (even with a tube!), and got great reviews for its clarity and resolution compared to the Vali. Given the reviews so far, all signs point to it being a good pairing with the Nighthawk—emphasized upper mids, a "meatier, harder hitting sound" compared to the Valhalla, and capable of revealing fine background detail. Mine should ship fairly soon; so excited to see what it's like for myself.

I'm just using an original Dragonfly at the moment, and the pairing struggles to "hype me up" when the music requires it. A few select albums (especially slow- or mid-paced, busy, spacious, dynamic albums) are out-of-this-world good, but it's easy to tell that the Nighthawk needs a source with a bit more "oomph" to really push it over the edge.

If anyone with a Jotunheim has ordered the MCTH, I'd love to hear a comparison once it arrives.

I don't know the MTCH to comment but I would recommend a DAC upgrade next. The DF is a decent DAC, but will definitely be the bottleneck in your system at this point.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #7,509 of 10,194
@sageamagoo

I’ve got one coming as well! I can’t wait to try it with my nightowls and Atticus. I’ve got a dfr, ifi micro bl, and creative e5 to use as dacs and am hoping the ifi micro synergizes well.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #7,511 of 10,194
What are your speakers ?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas

170718.jpg

163179.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #7,512 of 10,194
Guys I need some help. Before I get to my issue, here is some information; I have the Original Nighthawk, aka 2015 Wood edition. I HAD a Dragonfly v1.2 and a Magni 2 Uber to power it with.

The Dragonfly broke somehow, and I got a good deal on a Mojo. Problem! I genuinely don't think the Mojo synergize well at all with the Nighthawk!
The Mojo is a little device that excels in extracting detail while keeping it smooth. Where it does not excel is in soundstage and imaging. It seems to just PUSH every little detail to the forefront whether or not it belongs there and that is detrimental to the integrity of the soundstage.

The Dragonfly didn't have as much detail but it was ultimately a better match because it left the soundstage in peace, allowing the Nighthawk to showcase it's AMAZING ability to produce soundstage depth and special 3D imaging. Details that were supposed to be in the back, were actually in the back and so you could differentiate the depth distance between instruments and what not.

SO, here's the thing. I am looking for a DAC that excels in the soundstage and imaging area. Any recommendations, findings? Max $500.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7,513 of 10,194
Guys I need some help. Before I get to my issue, here is some information; I have the Original Nighthawk, aka 2015 Wood edition. I HAD a Dragonfly v1.2 and a Magni 2 Uber to power it with.

The Dragonfly broke somehow, and I got a good deal on a Mojo. Problem! I genuinely don't think the Mojo synergize well at all with the Nighthawk!
The Mojo is a little device that excels in extracting detail while keeping it smooth. Where it does not excel is in soundstage and imaging. It seems to just PUSH every little detail to the forefront whether or not it belongs there and that is detrimental to the integrity of the soundstage.

The Dragonfly didn't have as much detail but it was ultimately a better match because it left the soundstage in peace, allowing the Nighthawk to showcase it's AMAZING ability to produce soundstage depth and special 3D imaging. Details that were supposed to be in the back, were actually in the back and so you could differentiate the depth distance between instruments and what not.

SO, here's the thing. I am looking for a DAC that excels in the soundstage and imaging area. Any recommendations, findings? Max $500.

I enjoy my NuForce uDAC-5 best but my Zorloo ZuperDac does a fine job.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7,514 of 10,194
Feb 21, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #7,515 of 10,194

Are you looking for a portable solution, hence the Dragon Fly Red and Mojo? I like the Grace m9XX (the replacement is the m900 which is identical but comes with Toslink I believe) but I haven't heard it with the Nighthawk and is more transportable than portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back