AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #7,306 of 10,196
I dont think good at all. ..only SE version with more power. The NH are playing pretty loud on almost everything phones etc. But to get the real juice out of them around 900mA minimum imho is recommended. I use with meier audio corda jazz now and that is more than 1,5 w. It was a huge step foreward in control and bass power the more so when you like to listen loud. The hawk feels like much more controlled and able to show their full potential with some reserves the amp is able to deliver. With the jazz e.g. and the bw hybrid pads ...these are are my absolutely favorite pads now ...perfect poundering vibrant bass, glorious open mids and cristalclear highs :)
nothing left to be desired...
The Nh deserves the best material and hardware to feed ... a revealation what this bird is able too!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #7,307 of 10,196
But to get the real juice out of them around 900mA minimum imho is recommended.

I’m pretty sure you mean 900mW (milliWatts / power=V*A) not mA (milliAmps=Current). 900mA would be absolutely ridiculous. The Meier Jazz has a max mA output of 300mA.

Also, let’s not overstate the amount of power feeding the Nighthawks for good listening levels. Unless using max volume one isn’t feeding anywhere near the max power spec to the headphone. Overall implementation is the key to a good sound, not just a max power spec (full volume) once there is enough power with some headroom for the desired listening level.

The Nighthawk would never require 1.5W to listen to unless the listener is almost completely deaf. For reference Innerfidelity lists the Nighthawks requiring 0.37mW to reach 90dB SPL.

The Nh deserves the best material and hardware to feed ... a revealation what this bird is able too!

This I would agree with. :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #7,308 of 10,196
I dont think good at all. ..only SE version with more power. The NH are playing pretty loud on almost everything phones etc. But to get the real juice out of them around 900mA minimum imho is recommended. I use with meier audio corda jazz now and that is more than 1,5 w. It was a huge step foreward in control and bass power the more so when you like to listen loud. The hawk feels like much more controlled and able to show their full potential with some reserves the amp is able to deliver. With the jazz e.g. and the bw hybrid pads ...these are are my absolutely favorite pads now ...perfect poundering vibrant bass, glorious open mids and cristalclear highs :)

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #7,309 of 10,196
....Sure you are right, sry! mW..of course. Just my 2 Cents, even low levels benefit from Power reserves of the amp. Did some crosschecks with different amps.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #7,310 of 10,196
....Sure you are right, sry! mW..of course. Just my 2 Cents, even low levels benefit from Power reserves of the amp. Did some crosschecks with different amps.

That’s the irony. Low level listening with a 1.5W device isn’t digging in to the ‘reserves’ any more than a 200mW device for a given volume (at least not with the Nighthawk or similarly efficient headphones at reasonable listenable volume). Needing something like 1.5W for an easy load like the Nighthawk is an unfortunate myth. Again, the difference you are hearing is the overal design and implementation of the amp - power supply, slew rate, current delivery, distortion handling, output impedance, tuning, etc.... all far more important once there is enough power for headroom (which is, again, usually quite low). Most devices like a smartphone or cheap audio gear are very poorly implemented and that’s the main reason they can go loud but sound worse.

Edit: Not trying to bust anyone’s chops but it’s good for readers to know why they like something and not base a purchase off of max power alone. A lot of well implemented gear happen to have a high power output, but not always. I’ve heard powerful gear sound worse than much less powerful gear.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #7,311 of 10,196
How would the nh's pair with an otl tube amp like the little dot mk iii?
Don’t know about the little dot, however, I do find (just a personal opinion) that the Darkvoice cripples the Nighthawk. At first I thought not bad, but after a couples of albums I decided to dump the DV alltogether. Could b my unit or tubes but I prefer my Asgard 2 :o2smile:

IMG_1160.JPG

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #7,312 of 10,196
OTL amps are traditionally paired best with high impedance headphones, like the 300 Ohm HD650. The low impedance load of the Nighthawk would not make the ideal pairing.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #7,313 of 10,196
That’s the irony. Low level listening with a 1.5W device isn’t digging in to the ‘reserves’ any more than a 200mW device for a given volume (at least not with the Nighthawk or similarly efficient headphones at reasonable listenable volume). Needing something like 1.5W for an easy load like the Nighthawk is an unfortunate myth. Again, the difference you are hearing is the overal design and implementation of the amp - power supply, slew rate, current delivery, distortion handling, output impedance, tuning, etc.... all far more important once there is enough power for headroom (which is, again, usually quite low). Most devices like a smartphone or cheap audio gear are very poorly implemented and that’s the main reason they can go loud but sound worse.

Good forum! Someones telling mediocre bull like me and gets back almost immediately profund counter of some more experianced profs, txs I apreciate that a lot! Pretty cool to expand my horizon here.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #7,314 of 10,196

My Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is 500 mw and it drives them very well.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,315 of 10,196
How would the nh's pair with an otl tube amp like the little dot mk iii?

I have the LD Mk3 and while not ideal for NH it is an interesting listening experience. The output impedance is too high for one so damping is an issue and the power delivery at 32 Ohm is 100mw and I think it drops a bit more at the Nighthawk impedance of 25 Ohm. That being said the best analogy i can make is the LD Mk3 with Voshkod tubes gives me a relatively flabby/loose but somewhat soothing presentation whereas the Grace M9XX with ultra low output impedance and optimal power delivery around the NH impedance I have a very neutral/tight and controlled sonic presentation. I wouldn't call the sound bad just very different from the solid state amp that is a better match. I definitely wouldn't try to use the OTL amp as my primary amp with low impedance headphones but I keep it around since it's a great pairing with 250 Ohm Beyer DT880s.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #7,316 of 10,196
My Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is 500 mw and it drives them very well.

Thats great! My amp before was the Ifi Ican micro, with just max 400mW I did not miss anything. After swapping to Corda Jazz I thought the step foreward was mainly caused by an almost 4 times stronger amp section. Increased bass response, definition and sheer attack from the low registers made me think that.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #7,317 of 10,196
Don’t know about the little dot, however, I do find (just a personal opinion) that the Darkvoice cripples the Nighthawk. At first I thought not bad, but after a couples of albums I decided to dump the DV alltogether. Could b my unit or tubes but I prefer my Asgard 2 :o2smile:

Very nice setup, aesthetical looks too! Curious about the little Loki with these magic 4 knobs...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #7,318 of 10,196
Very nice setup, aesthetical looks too! Curious about the little Loki with these magic 4 knobs...
Thank you. The Loki is great and I also really like the bypass switch. I wish it was the size of the Bifrost tho.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #7,319 of 10,196
I have the LDMkIII - when I first heard it with the 'hawks I thought it was fine, really liked it.
That was until I heard them with the iFi iCan SE - totally brought the NH to another level. Now, sadly, the MkIII sits unused - but I do really love the sound I have with the iCan and the NHs

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #7,320 of 10,196
I have the LDMkIII - when I first heard it with the 'hawks I thought it was fine, really liked it.
That was until I heard them with the iFi iCan SE - totally brought the NH to another level. Now, sadly, the MkIII sits unused - but I do really love the sound I have with the iCan and the NHs
I started out with the Nighthawk and the iDSD black. Sounded great untill I heard the NH with the Asgard 2. It sounds a bit less woolly with a bit more sparkle. Also the soundstage became wider. After awhile I decided to let the iDSD go, it was a sad moment (its a marvelous device) but no point in keeping something I won’t use anyway. Of is there? Because there is some regret. So no “Non je ne regrette rien” for me :disappointed:....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back