AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #7,082 of 10,196
Thank you for the response!
The comfort of the NightHawk seems like such a huge plus for me, so I was wondering if I could get a similar sound signature.
From what I've read it seems that the NightHawk's bass is more focused in the mid-range while the LCD-2 is more focused, ime, on the sub-bass?
NH is more focused in the mid and upper bass

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #7,083 of 10,196
Thank you for the response!
The comfort of the NightHawk seems like such a huge plus for me, so I was wondering if I could get a similar sound signature.
From what I've read it seems that the NightHawk's bass is more focused in the mid-range while the LCD-2 is more focused, ime, on the sub-bass?

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2c

This is...interesting, to say the least :grimacing: .

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #7,084 of 10,196
For whoever gives a Schiit.

I had the chance to listen to my Nighthawk through Opus#1->iDSD BL->Asgard 2.
immediately I found the sound a bit more to my likings than with the iDSD alone. Could be expectations or something else, I really don’t know but I decided to buy the Asgard 2 (2nd hand).

I like matching stuff so it started to itch. After reading and watching information about the Bifrost 4490 and MultiBit I decided to buy the 4490 (new). Just based on my intuition and the possibility to return the unit or upgrade to MB in the future. At the first listen I was not impressed at all. The music sounded thin compared to the iDSD although the soundstage was a big improvement IMHO. With the iDSD almost everything sounded inside my head and with the Bifrost not so much.

It took a couple of days but now Im glad I went for it. Bigger soundstage and I can hear the mids better. There is also more detail and some songs, like Flowers never die (Emilie Simon) for example, are less edgy (<— probably not a word). I do have to admit, some tracks sound worse. Like a hamburger were the bun Is twice the size of the patty.

As a side note, I bought the iDSD together with the Hifiman 400i and that was a great synergy.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,085 of 10,196
OCD here.

Just bought a new pair of AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon, and out from the box it feels like "headband" is significantly loose, compared to my old wood NightHawks, which feels a bit solid in hands and tight on head.

1. Has anyone noticed this? Is it a defect or Carbon's boasted ergonomic refinement?

NHC.jpg

2. Has anyone tried to disassemble a pair? How can I replace a headband from wood to carbon, in case of ... Is it simply screwed in? Glued?

NHC2.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #7,086 of 10,196
OCD here.

Just bought a new pair of AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon, and out from the box it feels like "headband" is significantly loose, compared to my old wood NightHawks, which feels a bit solid in hands and tight on head.

1. Has anyone noticed this? Is it a defect or Carbon's boasted ergonomic refinement?

2. Has anyone tried to disassemble a pair? How can I replace a headband from wood to carbon, in case of ... Is it simply screwed in? Glued?

Thanks in advance.
Feel free to gently bend the headband until you reach your preferred clamping force. :wink:

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7,087 of 10,196
Feel free to gently bend the headband until you reach your preferred clamping force. :wink:

Thanks for response, I've tried already, but without success ... maybe I was too gently with new pair - going to proceed with "second strike".
But seems that metal of Carbon's headband just not the same strengthness, as my two years old Hawks ...

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #7,088 of 10,196
Thanks for response, I've tried already, but without success ... maybe I was too gently with new pair - going to proceed with "second strike".
But seems that metal of Carbon's headband just not the same strengthness, as my two years old Hawks ...
I don't know how different the Carbon's headband is (shouldn't be), but adjusting the clamping force this way worked very well on my old NH. I just moved the cups next to each other a few times to both directions. Hold the bottom ends of the metal headband while doing so (not the cups to avoid potential cup-suspension damage). It is not a professional advice though, just sharing what worked for me.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #7,089 of 10,196
It's been a while since I've listened to my Nighthawks but I feel like my treble sounds crisper now since I switched the cable to my Senn HD700 cable. I really like how they sound with that cable as the highs are more present and I feel like the mids come forward a tad as well. Even though my Elear is my go-to headphone I still have an affinity for the good ol' Nighthawk.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #7,091 of 10,196
Oct 18, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,092 of 10,196
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #7,093 of 10,196
I haven't used my NH in a while. I just got them out today to use with an amp I am borrowing at the moment, the Questyle CMA 600i. My main headphones for the past year have been the Focal Elear. After using the Elear all this time and then switching back to the NH, I immediately realized how much midrange I was missing. The Focal are fantastic on just about everything else other than the midrange IMO. The Elear have this way of giving the illusion of warmth, but when you listen, it's obvious that a certain degree of midrange magic is simply missing from them. I also noticed this when listening to some Audeze headphones recently.

I was one of the ones who paid $600 for the NH when they came out, so now that they are selling new for $300, I would take quite a beating if I sold mine. They actually sound extremely good with this 600i, better than I was expecting. The 600i has the ability to inject some extra life into them.

I'm debating getting a Chord Mojo, but wonder how it would sound with the NH. Has anyone heard that combo? I am going to search this thread and see if I can find any comments on that.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #7,094 of 10,196
I'm debating getting a Chord Mojo, but wonder how it would sound with the NH. Has anyone heard that combo? I am going to search this thread and see if I can find any comments on that.
This is the only combo I use, sounds amazing to me.

I hear the creator of the headphones used to (maybe he still does) pair his NH with the Mojo and has stated they've had great synergy.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #7,095 of 10,196
This is the only combo I use, sounds amazing to me.

I hear the creator of the headphones used to (maybe he still does) pair his NH with the Mojo and has stated they've had great synergy.

Not sure if Skylar said this, but I know Rob Watts (designer of the Mojo) loves the Nighthawks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back