AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #6,572 of 10,196
 I also use a garage 1217 tube amp with my NH and  find it to, IMO,  pair well. It takes a wide variety of 6  or 12 volts tubes from garden variety 6DJ8 and 12A varieties. Using adapters allows octal tubes such as  6SN7, 6F8G. Heck I even use a dual tube adapter with a pair of 6J5's!

With a Faraday cage on the Garage 1217 amp:

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #6,574 of 10,196
  Guess I need to hook up the Little Dot 1+ and do some tube / op amp rolling with the Nighthawks.

Yep!  I tried 10 or so opamps 'flavors' before going with the OPA 627's on Brow Dog adapters. I had some 100% authentic from Mouser (lots of fakes on E-Bay) OPA 627's and while a few others opamps were very nice, the 627's seemed to work best for me with the NH's.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #6,575 of 10,196

They should sound much better on a Schiit Asgard 2, the NH doesn't like tubes

That's a bit misleading. OTL tube amps don't like low impedance loads may be more accurate. NH does very well with a tube amp with SS output stage. I find the Garage1217 EmberII & NH to be a good match.

kev

Ah, grasshopper............perhaps that is why we both prefer the microsuede pads on the NH as we are both using the Garage 1217 amps!?!?

Truth be told, I also prefer the microsuede pads when using the NH alone (w/o the garage 1217 amp) paired with the Oppo HA-2SE amp/DAC.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #6,576 of 10,196

Yep!  I tried 10 or so opamps 'flavors' before going with the OPA 627's on Brow Dog adapters. I had some 100% authentic from Mouser (lots of fakes on E-Bay) OPA 627's and while a few others opamps were very nice, the 627's seemed to work best for me with the NH's.

I have probably 15 or so op-amps from various sellers like Digi-Key and Mouser, along with Ebay sellers that were recommended by other Head-Fiers on the Little Dot threads. Whatever is in my amp was my favorite at the time, don't remember what it is, not been using my LD amps much, or my HA-1 either, since getting an iCan Pro.

Still want to try the Burson and Sparkos op-amps, though. They're just too pricey.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #6,577 of 10,196

I have probably 15 or so op-amps from various sellers like Digi-Key and Mouser, along with Ebay sellers that were recommended by other Head-Fiers on the Little Dot threads. Whatever is in my amp was my favorite at the time, don't remember what it is, not been using my LD amps much, or my HA-1 either, since getting an iCan Pro.

Still want to try the Burson and Sparkos op-amps, though. They're just too pricey.

The iCan Pro sure looks sweet!

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #6,579 of 10,196
They should sound much better on a Schiit Asgard 2, the NH doesn't like tubes

Currently listening to the 'hawks via a Little Dot MkIII and I'd beg to differ.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #6,580 of 10,196

Currently listening to the 'hawks via a Little Dot MkIII and I'd beg to differ.

Yeah. I agree. I don't get all these "Hawks don't sound good on tubes comments".

I have the Violectric V281 as a SS amp. A lot of members say it sounds one of the best with the Hawks in which I agree. The V281 pushes the Hawks to absolute best (I don't like using the word reference).

However every time I listen to the Hawks on my WA22 tube amp it sounds even better again. The Hawks sound absolutely delightful with my tube amp.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #6,581 of 10,196

Yeah. I agree. I don't get all these "Hawks don't sound good on tubes comments".

I have the Violectric V281 as a SS amp. A lot of members say it sounds one of the best with the Hawks in which I agree. The V281 pushes the Hawks to absolute best (I don't like using the word reference).

However every time I listen to the Hawks on my WA22 tube amp it sounds even better again. The Hawks sound absolutely delightful with my tube amp.

My dream amp! You lucky so-and-so!!! Enjoy :xf_eek:)

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #6,582 of 10,196
Well the NH needs current. Tubes don't provide the amount that a low Z headphone needs. People who say the NH sounds good on full tubes I would seriously take their comments as a grain of salt because they sound like utter crap with tubes as they should.

I've had all the Litte Dots, Valhalla 2, Zana Deux etc and its just a Nono unless you really like muffled music lol

Hybrids like the Ember 2 and Vali 2 are a different story and will sound fine.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #6,584 of 10,196
If you are coming form basic gear then a Dragon Red would be fine but for those who have heard the NH on better equipment I don't think the DragonFly Red cuts it. I think it's a good little device but it's aggressive treble doesn't do well with the NH's rough treble, and I find the device a little lacking resolution but this of course is compared to higher priced gear, still price doesn't really mean much.

I think the Asgard 2 is a really good amp for the NH, good dynamics, smoother treble doesn't add anything to the Hawks treble roughness and it's well extended at both ends.  

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,585 of 10,196
NH doesn't have treble roughness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back