AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #6,586 of 10,196
If you can't hear it then you are either letting the bass take your mind off it or your definition of treble roughness is different.

I've shown the NH to about 20 experienced listeners and all agreed the treble dips, peaks has holes then returns. Confirmed by Tyll's and Marves measurements also. 

I've also shown the NH to non experienced listeners and they could not pick out the treble roughness. it really depends how focused your hearing is with headphones and how experienced you are with headphones. Someone coming from the ATH M50 for example is not going to say the NH is rough.

I don't think there's a headphone that uses Bio-cellulose driver that actually has a rough, even treble come to think about it. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,587 of 10,196
I've let over 20 industry professionals and engineers hear the NH and not only has no one *ever* called the treble rough but most went out and bought one:

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #6,588 of 10,196
That doesn't mean much. We don't know how good these engineers are but more importantly there's a differences between understanding headphones and mixing a track. Most engineers use speakers. I've not met one good engineer who uses headphones. I would trust ears of experienced headphone listeners over someone who says they are an engineer online(No offence!) 

Things like treble roughness does not matter to an Engineer, having extension at extremes and not having any major peaks is really all they have to worry about. The HD800 is pretty neutral apart from that massive shlong in the 6khz region that will mess with the accuracy and that makes them a big nono.

I'm going to take a wild guess that you deal with more contemp music? rather than mixing classical, acoustic  etc? if you are using the NH for vocal then you will have to compensate quite a bit in the upper mids.. 

I've gone off topic, the NH has a rough, uneven treble which is fact; it's in every measurement out there, whether you or anyone can hear it is a different story. Let me guess, graphs don't mean anything....just teasing lol but it's there, and it's hidden by some internal cup reverb and humpy bass pretty well. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #6,589 of 10,196
Mar 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #6,592 of 10,196
Well the NH needs current. Tubes don't provide the amount that a low Z headphone needs. People who say the NH sounds good on full tubes I would seriously take their comments as a grain of salt because they sound like utter crap with tubes as they should.

I've had all the Litte Dots, Valhalla 2, Zana Deux etc and its just a Nono unless you really like muffled music lol

Hybrids like the Ember 2 and Vali 2 are a different story and will sound fine.

Depends on the tube amps, just because the pure tube amps you tried don't work doesn't mean all don't. The WA22 mentioned actually offers the Hawks enough current. I never found the Hawks to sound muddy even when underpowered and on a high-output impedance amp.

NH doesn't have treble roughness.

I'll have to agree with @EdwardPL here but I don't agree with his blanket statements about bio-cell drivers especially if he hasn't heard all the different types of bio-cell. I also don't think the HD 650 is as good as he says it is. The Hawks had a subtle treble roughness to my ears as well, became more noticeable and annoying longer I owned it and happened regardless of the system. A lot of people have noticed the roughness on the Hawks is the thing, so there is some merit to these claims. The problem for me the treble sounded out of place at times on the Hawks like it was going contrary to it's overall signature. People really have to consider everyone's personal hearing and ears. Some headphones don't jive well with some people.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,593 of 10,196
I am not questioning anyone's personal experience and hearing, but if we gave NH to 100 random people I am pretty sure more than 90 of them would say NH has a smooth treble regardless what graphs show. I have treble sensitivity, and NH sounds silky to my ears. It is a very small minority who consider NH a rough headphone.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #6,594 of 10,196
I am not questioning anyone's personal experience and hearing, but if we gave NH to 100 random people I am pretty sure more than 90 of them would say NH has a smooth treble regardless what graphs show. I have treble sensitivity, and NH sounds silky to my ears. It is a very small minority who consider NH a rough headphone.

It is personal experience and hearing. Not to mention ear canal shape can influence ones perception of treble. Treble is the one thing people never seem to agree on. What's smooth to one can be rough to another. Also I would never call the Hawks rough overall, they are very liquid sounding, my personal problem is simply the treble can sometimes peak harshly to my ears for some reason. While something like the hyper DT 1990 doesn't bother me at all treble wise. I think people need to be grateful there are so many choices to cater to ones owns ears, just because ones ears doesn't like a headphone or a headphone on a certain amp doesn't mean that headphone is crap or even flawed. In fact sometimes we prefer the more flawed headphone. Also I think the Edward person is the same guy that constantly got banned early on in this thread, saying the same stuff, mentioning the same gear, etc.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6,595 of 10,196
But that's a flawed test. Who are these people? If I gave the Hawks to experienced listers only then results will be mixed and they are from from I've seen.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #6,598 of 10,196
Lol this thread. I love "audiophiles". I thought PC gamers were bad with e-peen

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,600 of 10,196
Ssssoooooo much this. I kinda glared at my 598s like they've been holding out on me lol. This is my first pair of extensive headphones, can't believe how much a game changer they are. Listened to pink Floyd for hours, songs my 598 bought you life, but the extra amount of detail i was hearing blew my mind. Coming back to life came on as I'm sitting here "....when was there a cow bell in this?" On one hand, i wish the sound stage was a little wider but the instrument separation and imaging is phenomenal.

Used it in some video games too, playing overreach and one of my team members made their character say something while behind me and legit looked behind me not thinking lol.

I didnt think coming up to the level of headphones would have made so much difference to what i already loved about my 598s.

So thank you to those who answered my questions man pages ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back