AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 22, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #6,616 of 10,194
Does any NH owner have experience with Flare R2pro IEMs? I recently bought one, and even though I am not that much into IEMs and I like my NH a lot, these tiny titanium things really impressed me (using Mojo and custom silicon sleeves). I bought them for traveling only, but find myself sharing head time with NH equally these days. Sound quality is far beyond my expectations.

Yes, I've got the R2pro's with customs & the NH too - very nice, but just got a set of isine 20's & they blow the Flare's away!

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #6,617 of 10,194
Yes, I've got the R2pro's with customs & the NH too - very nice, but just got a set of isine 20's & they blow the Flare's away!

I bet the isine 20 sounds nice, however it looks a bit odd to me.
I bought the R2pro for £180 new, the isine 20 is £599, and it is also semi-open. No surprise, if it sounds even better.
How would you compare the R2pro sound to the NH? (You could pm me, if it is too off topic.)

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #6,618 of 10,194
Oddly enough, as cheap as they are, I felt like the TFZ Series 5 was a damn nice mobile complement for the NH. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #6,621 of 10,194

Cons:  this could have been a very nice stand but honestly it misses the mark on too many fronts. 

*underneath the base there are two problems. Instead of four rubber post, there are only three. This makes the unit somewhat unstable. It tips fairly easily towards the back when pushed on. Why not use four rubber post to actually make the stand stable? This is questionable design IMO. 

*Those three rubber post hold the stands bottom just slightly off the surface (about an 1/8 of an inch). Be careful not to drag the stand across your nice desk or amp because the hard metal edge will likely scratch whatever it touches. Four post should have been used. Even better a heavy rubberized platform to fill the bottom base would have been even better offering protection against scratching as well as weight for added stability. 

*While I appreciate the attempt to make the stand more functional it just doesn't quite work. The dip in the top of the base is okay. It will hold something like your Dragonfly in place. But I'd be concerned that something else, like keys, would scratch the base. 

I would have liked to have seen more functionality in the design. And adjustable height feature would have been great. Possibly a clip for holding a Dragonfly across the two back posts could have been Incorporated. And finally I would like to see a two headphone model. 

At $59 I would feel pretty good about this purchase despite the shortcomings. But at $79 it's just too expensive for what you get IMO. The Woo Audio stand with adjustable height, two headphone option and Steam Punk looks still reigns supreme in my book. 

I have the Perch at home now and I don't see your cons as real cons.

Stability is given also with only three rubber posts. Even when pushed on, the stand will not tilt over. It's correct that four posts would increase stability, but I cannot see a real need for it.

Why should I "drag" the stand across my desk? If there is a need to move the stand, just lift it ... and place it. No problem at all.

Why should I place sharp-edged parts on it? I also don't place sharp-edged things on other sensitive surfaces. For me the dip is just a design element and not an area to drop things. The stand looks best with the NH placed and nothing more.

Only the price (89 € in Germany) is questionable ... but we are talking about an AudioQuest part ... that includes an "extra" automatically, worth or not ...

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #6,622 of 10,194

Stability is given also with only three rubber posts. Even when pushed on, the stand will not tilt over. It's correct that four posts would increase stability, but I cannot see a real need for it.

Why should I "drag" the stand across my desk? If there is a need to move the stand, just lift it ... and place it. No problem at all.

Why should I place sharp-edged parts on it? I also don't place sharp-edged things on other sensitive surfaces. For me the dip is just a design element and not an area to drop things. The stand looks best with the NH placed and nothing more.

Only the price (89 € in Germany) is questionable ... but we are talking about an AudioQuest part ... that includes an "extra" automatically, worth or not ...

This we will disagree. Not everyone will be as careful as you might when moving the stand around. Will it be as forgiving against scratches across all users? 

I concede your point about the 3 vs 4 footers. I asked my wife (she teaches Physics). She says that three points will always, in theory, be more stable because it is easier to allow 3 points to define a plane. No need to argue with the wife, she's always right anyway. 
rolleyes.gif

But I still contest that a thick round rubber piece that filled the bottom of the base and hugged that sharp edge would be a win win. Why put a sharp edge there? Just doesn't make sense to me. Accidents will always happen and not all people will be careful. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #6,623 of 10,194
Your wife is right, and that's why cameras use tripods instead of tetrapods. Three points always make a flat plane, meaning you can shave an inch off of any of the three legs and the stand won't be any less stable. With four legs, if one is a bit off then the entire thing becomes wobbly. This is also true with uneven surfaces. A four-point stand will struggle if there are any irregularities on the surface it's standing on, three won't have that issue. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6,624 of 10,194

This we will disagree. Not everyone will be as careful as you might when moving the stand around. Will it be as forgiving against scratches across all users? 

I concede your point about the 3 vs 4 footers. I asked my wife (she teaches Physics). She says that three points will always, in theory, be more stable because it is easier to allow 3 points to define a plane. No need to argue with the wife, she's always right anyway. 
rolleyes.gif

But I still contest that a thick round rubber piece that filled the bottom of the base and hugged that sharp edge would be a win win. Why put a sharp edge there? Just doesn't make sense to me. Accidents will always happen and not all people will be careful. 

There's no such thing as a perfect headphone stand. They all have some negatives. Example, the Woo stand has sharp edges on the bottom of the headband support piece, and you have to be careful not to hit the back metal support beam with your headphones since there is less clearance with that stand. 

Of all the stands I've tried, the Perch is the best designed so far. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #6,625 of 10,194
I have a woo stand in front of me, the headband holder is rounded on the edges.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #6,626 of 10,194
Mar 26, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #6,627 of 10,194
Not sharp enough to actually do anything unless you're dumb enough to fall into it and jamb the thing into your eye.

Anywho, synthwave sounds ammmaaaazing on these.

1:50 is just drool. Not as good as the lossless version but still gets the point across <3 The guitar solo at like 2:20 sounds great.

https://youtu.be/pzw1fSp4ecU?t=115

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #6,628 of 10,194
  Not sharp enough to actually do anything unless you're dumb enough to fall into it and jamb the thing into your eye.

There's nothing wrong with the Woo stands... I have three of them and have never damaged my shelf or any of my 'phones. Oh, and they look fantastic.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #6,629 of 10,194

There's nothing wrong with the Woo stands... I have three of them and have never damaged my shelf or any of my 'phones. Oh, and they look fantastic.

Agree'd. I would love to see a case where someone damaged their headphones. Could have been a batch or something that went out where they were sharper than they should have been, nothing's perfect, but would suck for the price these cost.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #6,630 of 10,194
Well...I was out with a friend who was auditioning headphones this weekend. Stopped into my favourite place in Shanghai (Earphone King) and they had the ifi Micro iDSD available for listening.
Been interested in this for a while and now finally had the chance to give it a proper test.

I have been seriously under-feeding my Nighthawks.

Powered by the Micro, they went up to a completely different level. There was so much more higher frequency detail - or it was more pronounced at least. In no way fatiguing but just delightfully crisp and defined. The soundstaging (with the 3D switch on, obv) was next level. It really showed me what the Nighthawks are actually capable of. Every track I tried (Carmina Burana, Down To The River And Pray, Get Lucky, Mozart Violin Concertos, Chan Chan) sounded incredible, as if I'd never heard them properly before.

I sadly couldn't justify spending the money on myself so had to walk away empty handed but if any of you out there are running on relatively budget gear (like me) then I urge you to try any slightly upper-scale amps you can with our beloved cans. I don't really know how I'm going to save the money for the Micro but I now know that I need it in my life.

The Nighthawks are way way better overall than I thought they were - and I already loved them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back