AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #6,511 of 10,196
   Thanks for the tip. I am also after a pair of boost pads. I have emailed AQ's European centre in The Netherlands, will see what they say on Monday. Viabox seems to be a great option, but even 3 weeks is quite a long wait.
 I can't remember where I read, someone put a simple paper ring in the hybrid (classic) pads to mimic the closeness of the boost (full pleather) pads. I thought, I give it a try just for fun, and actually I quite like what I hear, so I am pretty sure, the boost pads are for me. :)

i think you'll be waiting longer than 3 weeks , more like 3 months (or more) , until the ear pads are for sale from UK online shops , so at least there's always the viabox option (though shipping costs do bump the price up). The effect the boost pads (protein leather) had on my nighthawks (with my desktop set up) was to make the imaging and soundstage sound more correct , as soon as i put them on and played some music for comparison to the original classic pads i thought , these are staying on.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #6,512 of 10,196
For those asking about our Perch headphone stand, it is now available for U.S. residents here:

shop.audioquest.com

If you are outside of the U.S., Perch will start to become available over the next one to two weeks from authorized AudioQuest dealers worldwide.

More info in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/838111/audioquest-perch-headphone-stand-available-now

Hello Skylar,

Great headphone stand, but it is still not available in the UK (date: 12 March).

kind regards.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #6,513 of 10,196
The cross pattern should be of no concern. It is the materials used and construction that matters. Sure, it would be nice to have the L & R markings, but they only go on one way so you can't use the wrong pad on the the L or R side.

I second this. The boost/protein leather pads I received do not have the cross pattern either (even though the markings are shown on the actual packaging, which made me laugh when I noticed the discrepancy). However, I could tell they were the boost pads because the inside ring that surrounds the ear is pleather too. Just compare the interior portion of the pleather and hybrid pads and you'll see the difference.

To confirm, the microsuede pads I received do have the L/R cross pattern.

One more thing, has AudioQuest's online shop been shut down?

Hi Honykytonk,

May i ask if you have noticed much of a difference between your version of the protein boost pads vs the standard nighthawks pads? I personally do not seem to notice any difference. I am concerned that there is a second iteration of these boost pads which can be identified by those cross patterns and that version sounds allot different because people on this thread have observed the difference.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #6,514 of 10,196
Hi Honykytonk,

May i ask if you have noticed much of a difference between your version of the protein boost pads vs the standard nighthawks pads? I personally do not seem to notice any difference. I am concerned that there is a second iteration of these boost pads which can be identified by those cross patterns and that version sounds allot different because people on this thread have observed the difference.

I received the Protein Leather/Boost Pads without the Cross Hatch Pattern in the inner cup as well.  I received mine prior to the "Shop AudioQuest" site being online.  I contacted AudioQuest upon receipt and this was the reply...

"The leather boost pads have been around since the original NightHawks.  So you may have just received the older stock that didn’t have the markings yet."

...you can tell from the interior material that the Pads are Protein Leather.  Audibly, they enhance the upper frequencies which is apparent (to me) in comparison with the original Pads.  The difference is strictly cosmetic according to AudioQuest.  Apologies for jumping in but I have seen similar questions in the thread.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,515 of 10,196
Hi Honykytonk,

(image missing) Please see pics in the next post. The cross patterns are just that, patterns. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #6,517 of 10,196
Hi Honykytonk,

I agree with mks100 & nwavesailor: The upper frequencies have an increased presence when using the boost/pleather pads.* Also, the L/R pattern is just print, nothing more. Take a look at (& maybe run your finger around) the interior ring/lining of the ear pads. Your boost pad lining should just be pleather like the exterior, whereas the original/hybrid pad has microsuede lining with a pleather exterior.

*That being said, I don't think the difference between the boost & original pads is that dramatic. However, to my ears the microsuede have a distinctly different sound than the other pads, which I enjoy a lot.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #6,518 of 10,196
*That being said, I don't think the difference between the boost & original pads is that dramatic. However, to my ears the microsuede have a distinctly different sound than the other pads, which I enjoy a lot.

Yep, I tend to stay with the microsuede pads over the OEM hybrid or protein leather (boost) pads. Many others seem to prefer the protein leather. The microsuede seem to be a love or hate thing from my take on folks who have tried both options. I'm in the love camp!

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #6,520 of 10,196
  I'm kind of interested in trying the new pads, but love the Nighthawks sound so much I don't think I need to, lol.

Good to hear you like the NH just the way they are with the OEM hybrid pads.

We may, however, consider taking away your audiophile designation.......................content with a pair of hp when there are other pads options to try? Something is fishy here!!! 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,522 of 10,196
Dear fellow Nighthawk owners in the U.K.! The new replacement earpads are now available to order online in this shop. £49 each pair (free delivery).
Apparently they do not plan to keep big stock, as there was only 2 pairs of Ultra Suede and 2 pairs of Boost pads available. I have bought a pair of the boost pads, so there is only one pair left of those, but both kind of pads will be restocked as they sell out, so don't worry. 
Also interesting what the description says: Ultra Suede pads: enhanced comfort, and slightly reduced bass impact. Boost pads: clean clear mids and naturally extended highs and lows. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #6,523 of 10,196
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-Hifiman-Oppo-PM-1-2-NightHawk-HD700-SPOCC-Headphone-Cable-2M-/112274345249?hash=item1a24128d21:g:SUgAAOSw44BYbW~e

$85 for XLR 4 pin balanced, works on Nighthawk, Oppo PM-1 and 2, and HiFiMan cans with 2.5mm .

Thanks

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #6,525 of 10,196
I have now noticed a Massive difference in the Audio Fidelity from the Nighthawks by carrying out a very simple cosmetic operation.

I refer to a cosmetic operation on myself which enables me to appreciate the audio quality from the Nighthawks just as the Designer intended.

I shaved my ear hair.
See photo below where a major hair barrier was preventing me from truly appreciating the Nighthawks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back