AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #6,481 of 10,196

The NH reminds me more of a cinema, the way the bass rumbles and blooms. 

Sub bass rumbles, there's no way around that. The NH is very present in the low bass. I do personally find the mid bass to bleed well into the mids.

Fair enough, I suppose. I tend to lean to the KISS method and go with simple bass, mids and highs.

Your earlier post seemed (at least to me) to be comparing the NH bass to what one might hear in a cinema with a deep window shaking 'rumble'!

At any rate, I think we can agree that the NH's produce some good bass.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #6,482 of 10,196

Just paste on the earcup and put the foam as it is .Do not put any tape on the grill.
Have you noticed most of headphone have one hole in diffusing paper place on back of driver to help driver air flow.Just do a small hole on paper like fig-2.

Though it is claimed that nighthawk has no reflection from earcup;but measurment proved that it have echo/reflection from the cups;surgical tape is all in one solution but you can use acoustic foam alsol to prevent reflection only.

Regarding Perfect headphone;most headphone have somehow any design flaws .we can do slightly mod to improve its performance.Simply buying and getting a new one is not at all feasible for all.Nighthawk is great headphone after all with some flaws;just need some time and 1$ investment to make it from good to great.

Hi,to quote you "Have you noticed most of headphone have one hole in diffusing paper place on back of driver to help driver air flow.Just do a small hole on paper"
On which headphones have you seen such hole?Can you post pics?Do you realize if readers do what you say they will most probably RUIN their(hard earned) HPs?The last time i did this was unintentionally on an used Koss porta pro on which i tried mods on the holes of the grill,it was RUINED!!! Do not ever do it(i mean pierce a hole on the driver paper/plastic cone)unless you want to experiment,so you do it at your own risk on a pair of used/inexpensive/useless drivers).
Perfect HPs don't exist i grant you that,but at the end of the day what matters is what HPs you're using most(and consequently,get the most pleasure of)and this is CLEARLY NOT the NH,lately i've had a crush on the Ultrasone Pro 2900is,damn good HPs to me,i am puzzled at why we don't see any(unless i missed it)discussion thread on it!!Reflection of the day...

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,483 of 10,196

Hi,to quote you "Have you noticed most of headphone have one hole in diffusing paper place on back of driver to help driver air flow.Just do a small hole on paper"
On which headphones have you seen such hole?Can you post pics?Do you realize if readers do what you say they will most probably RUIN their(hard earned) HPs?The last time i did this was unintentionally on an used Koss porta pro on which i tried mods on the holes of the grill,it was RUINED!!! Do not ever do it(i mean pierce a hole on the driver paper/plastic cone)unless you want to experiment,so you do it at your own risk on a pair of used/inexpensive/useless drivers).
Perfect HPs don't exist i grant you that,but at the end of the day what matters is what HPs you're using most(and consequently,get the most pleasure of)and this is CLEARLY NOT the NH,lately i've had a crush on the Ultrasone Pro 2900is,damn good HPs to me,i am puzzled at why we don't see any(unless i missed it)discussion thread on it!!Reflection of the day...

I feel like all non-reversible mods should be relegated to their own forum or something. I've seen way too many people ruin their headphones by testing out stuff they saw in threads here...

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #6,487 of 10,196
Okay so I've been out of this thread a while. Anyone can give some insight into wood vs carbon NH?

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #6,489 of 10,196

All most all sony headphone has a hole in this area;as per my knowledge.Importance of using it is;it maintains subbass and bass management;as driver moves more freely than earlier.
If you want to do a small hole first remove the paper;which is sticked then do a punch ;so it will not ruin the driver/plastic enclosure ;after that repaste it.
Sorry bro you ruined your koss;have to be careful .Well NH is my only over the ear headphone now.Currently my new mod include use of sorbothane .People will irk over me;as its useless for them.so i stay out of posting any mod further.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #6,491 of 10,196

I think I remember Skylar talking about all the work he did to vent the driver symmetrically so that the cone doesn't deform or something like that. Made sense when I read it. kartik7405 your vent hole undermines this effort.

kev

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #6,493 of 10,196
They sound identical with the same pads on. The new pads seem to give extra clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back