AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #6,136 of 10,196
Speaking of earpads...

I want to clarify our verbiage moving forward so that we all use the same terms.

In the beta, pre-release phase, we were referring to these pads as Utrasuede, Boost, and Classic.

We are going to change our descriptions of these to be more consistent and accurate.
So let's all use these new terms for clarity:

Microsuede:

• Microsuede interior and exterior surfaces
  • Softer touch, more breathability, greater overall comfort
  • Slightly reduced bass impact
  • Screenprinted internal fabric clearly identifies Left (L) and Right (R)
  • Previously known as Ultrasuede
  • Ships with NightHawk Carbon and NightOwl Carbon

Protein Leather:

• Protein Leather interior and exterior surfaces
  • Slightly enhanced treble clarity
  • Screenprinted internal fabric clearly identifies Left (L) and Right (R)
  • Previously known as Boost
  • Ships with NightHawk Carbon and NightOwl Carbon

Hybrid:

• Protein leather exterior surfaces
  • Microsuede interior lining
  • Clean, clear, naturally extended through the highs and lows
  • Previously known as Classic
  • Shipped with the original NightHawk (wood finish)

All pads work with NightHawk (wood), NightHawk Carbon, and NightOwl Carbon.

Sorry for the confusion everyone. Hope this is helpful.

Don't you mean that the Microsuede boosts the bass a little? You said reduce but that is opposite of what my ears hear.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6,144 of 10,196
Then that must be a significant difference between the Hawks and Owls. Because it's the opposite effect on the Owls. I just did some swapping and comparing and it's obvious. There's no ambiguity here.

That could the case as you have the NO (and I don't) and we are coming from listening to the NH.

I believe nmatheis may currently have both NH & the NO.............not positive though.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #6,145 of 10,196
I've never heard the classic hybrid pads. I was distinguishing between the ultrasuede and the Boost pads. Microsuede vs protein leather for the updated terms per Skylar.

Oh, sorry about that. I own the hybrid, the leather, and the microsuede, but I haven't tried the latter yet. I need to do a little a/b testing tomorrow and post some of my impressions on all three. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #6,147 of 10,196
No one is fighting haha. But my comparison is between the ultrasuede (now called Microsuede) and Boost pads (now called Protein Leather). I've never heard the classic pads. So this chart is moot.

Just getting on board with the new official AQ pad names!

shurealltheway, YMMV using the NO but I, for one, still find less bass w/more upper end energy in the Microsuede vs. the Protein Leather used with the original NH. One man's opinion or more so what I hear or don't hear!

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #6,149 of 10,196
Then that must be a significant difference between the Hawks and Owls. Because it's the opposite effect on the Owls. I just did some swapping and comparing and it's obvious. There's no ambiguity here.

Ah. I've did pad swapping with NH but not NO. I'll have to try that and report back.

OK kids, quit fighting. @FastAndClean
 measured Classics vs. Brainwavz HM5s (similar to US) in post #3494. Here is the chart:

See, less bass.

Is it just me or are the curves not labeled clearly?

That could the case as you have the NO (and I don't) and we are coming from listening to the NH.

I believe nmatheis may currently have both NH & the NO.............not positive though.

Yup, I do have both and will test out pad swapping soon...

No one is fighting haha. But my comparison is between the ultrasuede and Boost pads. I've never heard the classic pads. So this chart is moot.

I've got all three and can test them out with both NH and NO.

What is that red dip on that chart that falls into oblivion and the dwelling place of the Krakken?

Yeah, that looks like a measurement artifact if I've ever seen one...

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #6,150 of 10,196

Don't you mean that the Microsuede boosts the bass a little? You said reduce but that is opposite of what my ears hear.

My ears hear it like Skylar said. Reduced (but tighter) bass response.

I'm kind of surprised that Skylar isn't stating what is really happening ! The mid-bass is being reduced , but the low bass (If there is any in the music)is more distinct . The reason for this is that strong mid bass 'bump' isn't masking other existing low level harmonics any more but the low bass fundamental is being left alone. 

I don't care for the oversimplified label of "tighter bass" (I prefer to think of overly impactful bass as 'Stupid bass' myself ; It is pretty lame if it's masking other existing musical information)

On a sidenote, when did AQ start calling their Ultrasuede earpad Microsuede . I talk about the Microsuede pads I'm using on my NH because I got them from Audeze 2years ago before the Ultrasuede pads went into production. I got tired of adding Audeze everytime I mentioned them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back